Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Internet speed
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 pm 
welcoming committee

I wasn't sure where to put this; internet speed, computer speed, background task manager. It took my Win 10 laptop almost 5 min to open Outlook from task bar, then popup said could not open. Other programs slow reaction can't open bla bla. Restarted couple times, super slow. Task manager only shows Malwarebytes and task manager in Apps, 63 background processes. Called Spectrum, didn't show any internet outage but wait time was 8-15 mins which is super rare. Temp outside is still double digit below zero on day 3. Both laptops are slow as molasses. Is it possible this frigid cold is causing internet speed that doesn't appear on a speed test?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post subject: Re: Internet speed
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 pm 
welcoming committee

I just uninstalled malwarebytes and rebooted and Task manager is showing System and SuperFetch are fighting for Disk and memory. Not sure if that means anything. Its calming down a bit more so I'll wait to do another reboot.

Opened a few programs first and things are running like a brand new machine. Guess its not the frigid cold, thank goodness! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Even if there was an internet outage I can't see it affecting boot and/or app load times.

Since you are using the free version of MBAM I find it hard to come up with a way that it could be a factor especially as both systems were running slow.

Since the systems seem to be running fine again I would figure it to be one of those strange glitches that happen now and then although, again, it seems odd that both systems would show the same symptoms.

If it happens again I'd suggest to remove all power including the battery. Hit the power button a few times then re-connect power.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Sounds good, thanks Jay!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Just a note -- I think Katy is running the premium trial, which is the default when installed until the trial period ends. So it would have real time protection enabled. Not saying this was the cause of the slowness, but it may have contributed. I agree that slow Internet would not affect boot and programs except those that need Internet access while loading.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Forgot about that Steve. I think you are correct as to the trial of MBAM. I know that there have been cases of issues running MBAM with other security bit I've never ran in to an issue. Would the symptoms here be an indication of that? I would love to know if the symptoms return if MBAM were to be re-installed. Also if the trial was running on both systems.

Doing some searches I DID find references to what reads like SuperFetch maxing out disk access. This could account for both aspects of the issue; slow boot and slow app loads. It is easy to disable and enable SuperFetch just by using Service to disable or enable the SuperFetch service. I would have loved to find a way to 'reset' SuperFetch but did not. I wonder if disabling, rebooting, re-enabling and rebooting would, in effect, cause a reset but really have no idea.

Regardless, unless the issue returns, the SuperFetch aspect is a moot point. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, the slowdown could be an indication of a conflict, but MBAM Premium should have stepped up to be the security provider and Defender should have stepped back automatically once MBAM registered itself.
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email