Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Save Network Info
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Today I had to change my Gmail password, I did change/save it in Roboform and also in Outlook Mail but the popup in Outlook keeps popping up for new password. Will this popup eventually go away? I did enter the new password in this popup so I can't figure out what it wants.

Also, I wish the password in Mail network had the eye symbol so we could just click on it to see the word vs the *******. In case this can be included in next update :).

TIA for any help to stop the popup :(.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post subject: Re: Save Network Info
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Assuming Outlook full version 2013/2016..., go to File/Account Settings and edit the password for your account there. Save and restart Outlook.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Are you checking the box to remember password?

I've had my Hotmail account ask for a re-entry of my password once in a while but never on a regular basis. I think it is a security thing.

I had it happen a LOT with Gmail and that is one of the reasons that I quit monitoring Gmail.

Steve posted while I was typing but I'm going to post anyway. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Sorry Stephen I just have 2003 full version. I found the same spot (I think its same) in CP Mail and on the setup I went in to Change the existing gmail account and did save it multiple times but it still keeps coming up. (sometimes I'm typing when it comes up so I end up changing the password :() I did close Outlook just so it wouldn't check for mail and then reopened to check it again and still pops up. Is there a way in Outlook or Mail to stop auto checking?

If I could avoid the auto, at least I can still check my mail at gmail online. Jay I know what you mean, these changes to passwords are about the only headache I have from my email account. I had gotten an alert in gmail from Google saying they stopped an email check from United Kingdom & suggested changing password. I'm at a loss right now except to close Outlook and hope I remember to check Gmail online :(.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm 
welcoming committee

PS: Stephen I checked my box from my Outlook purchase and it is 2007, I bought it stand alone. I had looked under About Microsoft Outlook in the program which is where it says 2007 also, I must've read it wrong. It's working with Home version of MS office.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:09 pm 
welcoming committee

I did find the place in Outlook to disable send so now that popup has stopped, unless I intentionally Send/Receive. But if anyone knows how to make this popup go away permanently, please let me know.

I have a snapshot of the popup if you'd like me to upload maybe to PM but if its safe to post on the forum, I could do that in Editor.

Thanks much! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:17 pm 

One thing that seemed to help when I had Gmail issues was to go to gmail.com and change my password then go back to Outlook and change it there to match.

You can post the screenshot if you want but be sure to black out your email address and password if the password is set to show text.

I trust that you are aware that Outlook 2007, actually all of Office 2007, reached end of life in 2017...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes Jay I did do that, changed the password in Gmail online and then when this Network window popped up, I changed the password inside Mail in Control Panel Win 10 and clicked Next and then Finish.

Since maybe my version of Outlook isn't supported anymore I won't need to send the image. I do plan to get a copy of MS Office 365 soon to replace this really old version.

Is it smooth enough to transfer my current Excel and Outlook emails with breakdown of added folders in Personal Folders, also contacts, to the new Office 365? Also the whole calendar in Outlook going back couple yrs at least and Excel going back 10 yrs?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:49 pm 

As long as you used the default locations Outlook should be fine if you upgraded. Personally, though, I suspect that your Gmail issues are due to Gmail.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
One thing that seemed to help when I had Gmail issues was to go to gmail.com and change my password then go back to Outlook and change it there to match.

This is what you did and this is exactly what I did. Do you suggest that I change the online Gmail password again and then go to Outlook and change the password in Outlook right away. That this would work?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 pm 

It couldn't hurt to try it again but there is no promise that it would help. I just found Gmail to be problematic through Outlook 365.

Do you have other email accounts? If so are there any issues?

Just a thought as I don't use Roboform but I wonder if Outlook and Roboform could both be sending your password causing a failed log on.

As in any case dealing with email and/or networking issues listen to Steve before myself.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok, thanks Jay! But I trust you a lot too but will wait for a 2nd opinion by Stephen. Yes Roboform is involved but Outlook, Roboform and Gmail all have the new password. I didn't realize Roboform sends Gmail the login info, I just figured each program approves the transfer based on its own info but I don't quite understand a lot. Roboform is the original Roboform program, not the updated one where they are now charging an annual fee. When I first purchased it, I thought I was purchasing for life. But I don't update anything of theirs because then I'll probably lose the little bit I have left. (Most software I've purchased has remained mine, only Roboform and MS have changed the original purchase for updates.)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 pm 

I don't KNOW that Roboform and Outlook are both sending a password. It was just a thought that came to my feeble mind. :mrgreen:

The thought was that, *IF* both were, it would possibly cause an issue. Since you have been using Roboform for a long time my thought is unlikely. But, if possible, it *COULD* cause a situation where your password is 'password' and, both respond, the input would be 'passwordpassword' which would not be valid. Very slim chance this is the case...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Your thoughts did bring to mind the Network error message; the window (top) is from Outlook but there is a small horizontal border at the bottom with the Roboform icon in it that is asking for Save or Don't Save, so I bet you're right. There could very well be a connection! I did click on Save for Roboform and OK and checked 'Save this password in your password list'. And with the **** being used in this popup for password, it's difficult to know which password they are saving, even though I keep typing in the NEW password every time.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

I tend to agree that this may be an issue with Roboform, but it may also be with Google Mail/Gmail. Do you have basic authentication set up for your Gmail account?
https://ugtechmag.com/enable-basic-auth ... l-account/

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Stephen! No I haven't done this basic authentication yet but did read through it. I'm not sure if I want to reduce secured email to unsecured email because recently I was notified that someone from another country had tried to access my account. I think I'm becoming more infected from somewhere so maybe getting the Malwarebytes account to get real time would be helpful.
Also, with Roboform because I haven't done more updates with them, I just use the link inside the Master to access the website I want to get into to and then use copy/paste to enter the password (usually). Sometimes I do type it in but that keystroke software that is being used by hackers is always at the back of my mind.
So for right now I'll keep access my gmail manually online and stop downloading into Outlook so I don't get that popup. Then I'll sign up with Malwarebytes with realtime and see what if anything improves.
Thanks so much for all the info! katy :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:05 pm 
welcoming committee

PS: When I get around to buying the Office 365, will my subscription require me to do syncing or using cloud storage (either or) to qualify for updates or using this subscription just like people who DO use syncing or cloud storage?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:21 pm 

katy98 wrote:
PS: When I get around to buying the Office 365, will my subscription require me to do syncing or using cloud storage (either or) to qualify for updates or using this subscription just like people who DO use syncing or cloud storage?

First a question I don't remember you answering. ;) Do you have other email accounts in Outlook that work OK? If so it would point toward the issue being Gmail.

If you get Office 365 you will also get 1TB (unless it has changed) of OneDrive storage (cloud) but you don't need to use it. And no, using OneDrive is not required for getting updates. If you do buy Office 365, start a thread asking about OneDrive before hand. I would want you to have OneDrive questions answered before installing Office 365.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 pm 
welcoming committee

No, I don't have other email accounts that download to Outlook. That's why my Gmail account is pretty useful to me.

I don't use OneDrive because I don't sync nor use the cloud storage. Is OneDrive used for anything else?

When I read this regarding Basic Authentication.....

"This usually happens because google has by default turned off basic authentication for new and old accounts which haven’t synced with your gmail account for the last 30 days and only lets you authenticate via the OAuth 2.0 standard."

This makes me wonder if like MS or Google or for that matter Roboform will change the rules after I purchase a subscription. Since the subscription is over after the first yr unless I repurchase, they could change anything and my only choice would be do I want pay another $99 for the changed product or lose a program that I depend on a lot.

So much to think about! :(

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:52 pm 

Yes, OneDrive can allow access to your files even if you are out of town.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Oh, ok. Since all I'd need access to out of town would be my email and as long as I have my login info I could get that since it's on line. I can't think yet of a situation where I wished I could've accessed any other files but I'll give it some thought. Thanks Jay!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:33 pm 

While giving thought consider the backup aspect for such things as music and photos.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Backup of music and photos? with a program? I've always backed up my music and photos on my OS under Explore ie Pictures/Music/Documents. What am I missing? :) Are you referring to OneDrive? Other than where to store them if/when MS takes away Explore, my collection isn't extensive and I'd probably either use my current external drive that I use for File backups or get a separate ext. drive.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:51 pm 

No, your backup is fine. OneDrive can just be used s an extra backup method. Still I think that we are talking too much about OneDrive when the issue is Gmail and Outlook. I won't stop answering things in this thread concerning OneDrive but I do think that the OneDrive questions would be better suited to its own thread.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:01 pm 
welcoming committee

I agree. So far I seem to be doing well with viewing my Gmail online and I was even able to close the left margin in Outlook where I'd flip from Email to calendar so now I only need calendar and there is more room for it. I'll keep working with this. I do think the popup in Outlook/Gmail is a lost cause as I don't want to lose current security, espec. not until I get Malwarebytes. :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email