Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Edge cookie question
 Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Been experimenting with Edge lately. I found where you can decide which cookies get accepted and if they get deleted when you shut down Edge. Firefox, still my default browser, has a feature that lets you actually view every Cookie that has been planted on your system, actually, I believe every browser that I ever used let you do that. Where is that feature in Edge? (It had better exist or I am giving up on Edge which I must admit, I really do kind of like so far).
Thanks, Acadia

Post subject: Re: Edge cookie question
 Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia, see if this is what you are looking for:
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/interne ... 3996318373

Edit: And here's another website that might help you view all your cookies:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... er/cookies

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for those links bbarry. The first one does not help because it only tells you how to delete cookies which I already knew, not how to look at them. The second link would help but whoa, it requires me downloading an app to look at the cookies and it is highly technical, waaaaay over my head.

I may have been wrong. I know that I can look at the actual cookies in Chrome and Firefox without deleting them, just see what's there. Even IE I believe let me do that but I haven't used it in years. I assumed that Edge would also let you do that but it looks like you need that extra technical app. But again, thanks for taking the time to send me that info.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry but there is no direct method to manage cookies within Edge that I know. However you can find the cookie location through the following path.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\#!001\MicrosoftEdge\Cookies

Sadly you have to enable the viewing of hidden files/folders in File Explorer along with enabling the viewing of protected files/folders to be able to view.

Personally I don't see any cookies through this path but that is where they are supposed to be... Might be due to my not using Edge but I did log on to a couple of sites to create cookies.

Actually this path may do you better... Just not positive it actually deals with Edge. Again the viewing of hidden and protected files/folders is needed.

C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

Personally this all looks like a valid reason to not use Edge.

As a note CCleaner is supposed to allow Edge cookie management.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay, interesting. Maybe MS will add Cookie management in the future. Right now they seem to be more focused on sandboxing and making Edge more secure which I would prefer that they do anyway. If true, it is interesting that ccleaner can manage Edge's cookies but Edge itself can't, sheeesh.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am 
welcoming committee

Holy &%#$! I found how to view cookies in Edge, it is built-in BUT, it is brutal.

-- Edge DOES NOT store your cookies in a specific Settings folder so you need to visit the site whose cookies you want to view.

-- Click ∙∙∙ , it's in the upper-right side of Edge's screen.

-- Click F12 Developer Tools. This causes a window to appear at the bottom of your monitor.

-- Click the Debugger tab.

-- Double-Click Cookies.

-- Or something similar to that. I am discovering that Windows 10 is slightly different on everyone's system. :silly3:

Agree Jay, maybe time to no longer consider Edge, but if MS keeps on improving Edge's already strong security ...

Thanks all, Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I THINK I see what you see but, after hitting F-12, the window opens to the right instead of the bottom. I found that just hitting F-12 at any time will toggle this window on/off. I was able to view the CH cookie... sort of... The text was in a column that was very narrow. For any use except just info it seems useless as I don't see a way to protect nor delete just that cookie.

Yes you can set Edge to delete cookies when the browser closes but it seems an all or nothing aspect with cookies and you lose any site log on info such as the auto log on here at CH. With IE you can kill cookies when the browser closes but retain those that are for site specific log-on. I think that I'll be sticking with IE for now...

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Yes you can set Edge to delete cookies when the browser closes but it seems an all or nothing aspect with cookies ... I think that I'll be sticking with IE for now...

Yes, all or nothing, no choosing WHAT YOU WANT ON YOUR SYSTEM!! Sorry MS, despite your very annoying pop-ups telling me to switch to Edge everytime I view my Hotmail, I am not switching to Edge.

I hope Microsoft doesn't start getting this "messy" with Windows Defender, I like this little bugger, Windows Defender, so far ...

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email