Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:31 am 
welcoming committee

After using Windows 10 for a few months now, I have a question. How many of you "Haveners" have switched from Firefox or Chrome to Edge and why, do you like it that much?

I am still using Firefox inside of Sandboxie. Because of the "deep integration" of Edge into Windows (I don't know else how to properly explain it), Edge cannot be sandboxed inside Sandboxie. But I have been reading about the built-in sandboxing capabilities and features of Edge, already impressive and Microsoft just keeps strengthening and improving them.

There is a possibility that the current owners of Sandboxie may stop support and the development of Sandboxie, that thought has been batted around at Wilders, so I may be preparing for the future. As of today I would definitely switch to Edge based upon what I have been reading but I am seriously considering the possibility of switching NOW.

So, any ideas, thoughts, opinions?
Thanks much.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:54 pm 
welcoming committee

I have just used Edge, always used IE before that. No particular reason, just because it's already there.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:01 pm 

I did give Firefox a try for awhile but it just seemed to be too busy. I tried Chrome, that was OK but I went back to Edge and like it. I used Maxthon as well for a short time but that is built on IE.

When you are using a laptop you don't want a browser that takes up lots of room on the screen.

I always used IE through the other versions of the OS so when going to Windows 10 I tried Edge, left it for a time while trying out the others but I'm just using Edge now and I'm very happy with it.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I use IE. Really I guess it is just habit. I DO use FF for streaming.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:41 pm 
welcoming committee

For working on forums, I use Pale Moon because the old add-ons that I've used for years still work. Otherwise, I use Microsoft Edge and appreciate that it has some good add-ons, including my favorite ad-blocker, uBlock Origin. If you use FaceBook, the F.B. Purity extension is in the Microsoft Store. It sure makes Facebook usable without all the garbage.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 pm 

Sorry my previous reply was so lacking but I was sort of occupied...

Add-ons are not really a concern for me with browsers as, to be honest, I really don't use them. The only real use I would see for myself as to an add-on is a pop-up blocker and IE11 seems to do good job with that on its own. Since I only use FF for streaming sports and Netflix I don't really see a reason where I would need any sort of add-on for that browser. The only reason that I use FF for streaming is that I run dual monitors and some REALLY OLD games I have will mess up the video streaming if I play one on one screen and stream on the other. FF does not show this issue while IE11 does.

So why do I use IE11 as my primary browser instead of Edge? Really just habit. Why change browsers when the one I have does everything that I want/need? I DID try edge early on and it was terrible but I understand that there have been drastic improvements. You know one of my motto's; Don't fix if not broken. I don't see where IE11 is broken so why fix? ;)

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:25 pm 
welcoming committee

What Jay said about why he continues to use IE.....out of habit because it serves me well. Since I live out in the boonies, I do a lot of online shopping (clothes, staples, pet food, computer supplies, etc.). Much of this is done via Walmart because on most items they offer 2-day free shipping when order exceeds $35....no need to 'Prime' the pump like on Amazon.

Oddly, IE does not always perform well on the Walmart site, usually because of some long-running script. That's when I turn to Edge, where I don't experience similar problems. I must admit, however, that Walmart has recently upgraded their website and the scripting problem may be a problem of the past.

I did play around with Vivaldi for awhile, and it seemed OK with one exception.....that being continual program updating. If I got up from my computer to get another glass of tea, by the time I returned Vivaldi was notifying me about another available update.

I also tried Chrome but didn't really care for it.....IE just seemed more natural. I never used FF. And since I have never sandboxed, that has not been an issue for me.

So bottom line, I use IE 90% of the time and Edge the other 10%. I am a big Microsoft aficionado. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks all for the replies.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:07 pm 
welcoming committee

What an interesting thread, it appears that no-one here with the exception of possibly Joan(?) relies on just one browser.

For needs to be met in most cases multiple (i.e. at least two) browsers are required.

Perhaps it's just me but i find that very interesting and can't help wonder why that is... i mean, given how long the web and browsers have been around it really shouldn't be rocket science for one browser to meet all needs.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 pm 

For me the need for two browsers is not the fault of either browser but rather that I insist on streaming and playing a few really old games at the same time. These old games 'break' IE11 but not FF. If not for that I'd be using just IE11. Nothing against FF but I'm just used to IE11.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 am 

I used to use 2 at one time because I found that when on Facebook just before shutting down for the night I'd have a game of Bubble Witch Saga and the daily Hidden Object game. If I used Firefox or Chrome the movements were very jerky and not easy to control whereas using Edge, everything was smooth and easily controllable.

In the end, I just stuck with Edge, it does everything I want and that, along with my other security, helps keep me out of mischief and it doesn't take too much screen space. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:22 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
For me the need for two browsers is not the fault of either browser but rather that I insist on streaming and playing a few really old games at the same time. These old games 'break' IE11 but not FF. If not for that I'd be using just IE11. Nothing against FF but I'm just used to IE11.

Six and half a dozen if i choose Jay or Joan (i'm still not clear on her!? LOL) to quote, both have the same reply...

Broken in one but not another = need for multiple browsers.

That is interesting, not scientific but it does point in the direction that it's pointless trying to find a one fits all scenario.

In simplistic terms this could equate to the web is broken, for the rest of us, the web IS broken.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:51 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Doddie - If you think using multiple browsers is interesting, this ought to blow your socks off, lol. For all my needs to be met, I still use 3 Microsoft operating systems, as follows:
- Win 10: My favorite and the one I personally use for most of my functions.
- Win 7: I still run 7 on an older computer because I have friends/relatives that still use only Win 7; so when they ask me related questions regarding problems they are having, I crank up the old computer.
- Win XP: I have three very old programs that will only run under XP, so on my primary Win 10 computer I run XP in virtual mode. Two of these programs (addresses and calendar) have about 20 years worth of data that I am not about to reenter elsewhere. And I can't update either program because the developers are no longer in business.

And I might add, I don't think the web is broken, I don't think Microsoft is broken, and I don't think the browser world is broken. Personally, I am just very appreciative of what I am able to accomplish these days in the world of computing, so my thanks to all. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:53 pm 
welcoming committee

To think i thought it was bad enough if multiple browsers were required for a seamless experience, I'm agog to learn that three OS's are now apparently required by some! :o

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
To think i thought it was bad enough if multiple browsers were required for a seamless experience, I'm agog to learn that three OS's are now apparently required by some! :o

I'm not sure why you are still eager to learn why I require three OS's...….I provided you with what I thought were very sensible reasons as to why I use three. But if you have further questions as to why I'm doing that, I will try to answer.

But I might add that you are partly the reason I use two of these OS's. I prefer Win 10 and you prefer Win 7. Since you may have a computer-related question that I think I can help you with on CH, I would need to move from my Win 10 computer to my older Win 7 computer. Same as I do for other friends & relatives who are still using Win 7.

My continued use of XP is a personal one....I don't want to have to reenter 20 years of data into new calendar and address programs (my current programs only run under XP).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Doddie wrote:

I'm not sure why you are still eager to learn why I require three OS's...….I provided you with what I thought were very sensible reasons as to why I use three.

I wasn't questioning why you run three OS's, i was simply surprised that you do... as for asking you to explain further, that was never my intention, apologies if i wasn't clear on that.

Like you said, the reasons you gave were clear and sensible.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:39 pm 
welcoming committee

@Doddie - No big deal. I guess I misinterpreted what you meant when you said "agog to learn". And if you had additional questions, I was willing to try and answer them.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
@Doddie - No big deal. I guess I misinterpreted what you meant when you said "agog to learn".

When you put it like that i probably should have said "I was agog to learn" rather than "I'm agog to learn"...

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:33 am 
welcoming committee

Learning new and different Operating Systems are just, well, fun. (Yeah I know, Acadia, you've got to get a life). Heck, if I could afford it I would purchase an iMac just to play. With my new larger hard drive I am thinking about once again installing a Virtual Machine and dabbling in Linux which I haven't done in close to a decade. Just fun, there are worst things that I could be doing with my time.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 am 

Hmmm, why buy a Mac? Just download a free emulator and run the Mac through Windows. I have not gone the Mac route but run the following emulators. You cannot tell the emulator from the actual machine
Atari 400 (early computer)
Atari ST (not as early computer)
Atari 2600
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Play Station

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:28 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... Just download a free emulator and run the Mac through Windows...

You surprise me, Jay, isn't that illegal?
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 am 

No, actually it is not as you still need to supply the actual Mac OS. The emulator just gives you the machine, think virtual but dedicated to a specific unit.

As far as my game emulators the earlier ones are pretty much in the public domain and I actually have the CDs for the Play Station.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:55 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, are you sure about that, am I misunderstanding something?

I know that Windows is legal to be installed on any MAC as long as it is a full, legal license of Windows. The Apple OS is completely free and can be installed on as many machines as you like, as long as you are installing it on Apple hardware. But I must admit all legal stuff, including licensing, has always been one of my weakest points.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 am 

Acadia wrote:
Jay, are you sure about that, am I misunderstanding something?

I know that Windows is legal to be installed on any MAC as long as it is a full, legal license of Windows. The Apple OS is completely free and can be installed on as many machines as you like, as long as you are installing it on Apple hardware. But I must admit all legal stuff, including licensing, has always been one of my weakest points.
Acadia

To give a simple answer... No I'm not sure. As I've never delved in to the Apple side of emulators I have never felt a need to research. I only know that what I said is true as to what I run.

Emulators are rather funny critters. Where does one draw the line between Apple and Windows hardware? In today's world is it not possible that you could take the same box and install either? Correct me if that is not accurate. As an example take my video card. If the hardware is not transparent to different operating systems why are drivers available for Windows, Apple and Linux.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email