Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Question
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:52 am 
welcoming committee

Just discovered that an interesting question had been raised at WildersSecurity this past December: Would you pay for an email service?

Much to my surprise a slight majority are saying: Yes.
I know there would no longer be any ads, but I don't care about ads; more security or privacy or what?

Acadia

Post subject: Re: Question
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

I've been paying for email service for years.
I have Hosted Exchange with my own domain. It allows me to connect multiple devices to the back end email service and gives me full capabilities for calendar, tasks, etc. in Outlook.
It provides better reliability above all. I don't know that it provides better security and doubtful that it provides any more privacy.
I also pay for the upgraded Outlook.com experience with no ads.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Steve, gives me something to think about.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Since three of my 5 emails are through my hosting I guess that I'd have to say that I also pay but don't know if it really counts.

Steve, an additional question if you don't mind? What real advantage does having your own Exchange server provide? I just use Outlook with my 5 accounts entered and have what seems to be full calendar usage, etc..

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Not my own Exchange Server, but Hosted Exchange. I use this company:
https://www.sherweb.com/hosted-exchange/
Advantage is my own domain name and ability to keep multiple devices and computer in sync against the online data (emails, calendar, etc.) using Outlook.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:51 pm 

I guess then that we sort of do the same thing but in different ways.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

If you are synchronizing all data, including calendar and other Outlook items, that sounds like Exchange server at the back end. :-) How are the accounts configured in Outlook?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 pm 

My PST file is on my data drive which is synced using GoodSync.

Accounts are setup as POP.

<total edit!>
Sorry Steve, all the above is wrong.

4 accounts are POP but my Hotmail account is IMAP.

Apparently my Outlook PST files are no longer on my data drive but in my User folder. This probably happened when I switched from Office 2007 to 365. I botched things up so badly trying to move the Outlook folder back to my data drive that I'll be restoring this morning's system image once the Indians/Yankees game is over. ;)

The reason that I didn't notice all this is that I have not yet attached my laptop to my new network setup and don't have Outlook set up yet in the bedroom. Once I'm restored I'll setup GoodSync to do a daily on the Outlook folder.

I just never noticed the changes as I really don't do email on any system other than my main. In other words I assumed... shame on me...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 pm 

Decided to not wait and did the image restore. Started the restore from within Windows and the entire process took ~20 minutes for a sector by sector restore. Personally I consider that pretty good for a 500 GB drive.

Since Acadia started this thread I'll wait until sometime tomorrow to see if he disagrees but I think that I should split my stuff off from this thread to another as it is off topic and pretty much takes over the thread.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hotmail/Outlook.com will sync your calendar as well as messages.
I used to try to keep my PST files in sync between computers, but the problem with that is that it is a total copy from one direction to another. So, if I checked mail on one machine and then on another between syncs, and replied to messages on both, I'd be dealing with a conflict when deciding which direction to sync from/to. Just like your Outlook.com address using IMAP (or Exchange/ActiveSync), having my email on Hosted Exchange means that any action I take on any device is replicated to all devices. Instead of a PST, I have an OST on each PC. I can totally delete the OST file on a PC and it is recreated (albeit with a complete download of all data from the server!) on next connect. I can choose to only sync x number of days or all data. All of my data is on the server until I delete it permanently (empty Deleted Items, for example).
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Since Acadia started this thread I'll wait until sometime tomorrow to see if he disagrees but I think that I should split my stuff off from this thread to another as it is off topic and pretty much takes over the thread.

I think our back and forth about Exchange supports the discussion of paying for an email service. :-)

I'll add that even before I went the Hosted Exchange route, I was sort of paying for my primary email. Long ago, my then ISP (dial-up) stopped offering nntp, so I went with a paid nntp service that includes email and a small web hosting as part of the deal. I still have that service and still use that email for some newsletters and the like as the address became a spam magnet. The service offers a spam blocking feature that requires senders to authenticate of their message goes to a holding pen for me to allow or ignore via a web interface. I can white list a sender there and future mail from that sender comes right through. It has dropped the spam delivery to zero on that account.

I was an MSN Premium customer for years, so my @msn account was ad free. I dropped the MSN subscription as I had no use for the MSN software which is a bit like AOL to this day, but chose to pay for ad free service on that account.

So, for me paying for email service gives me an ad free @msn account and super reliable and "easy" synchronization of data for multiple devices using my own domain name.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm 

Steve, this is in response to your post before your last...

I didn't seem to have that issue when I had things setup with Outlook 2007 using SyncToy. I almost exclusively use my main system for email. I would set the other systems to leave a copy on the server. This would mean that I could check email on a second system if I wanted and it would still be there for the main system. It was not until I deleted via the main system that it would actually be gone.

Am I missing something?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am 
Fearless Leader

I'm doing exactly what Steve is doing (except for different company/host) for exactly the same reason. Works wonders for synchronization. Microsoft is my host.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
I'm doing exactly what Steve is doing (except for different company/host) for exactly the same reason. Works wonders for synchronization. Microsoft is my host.

Pardon me if I am wrong but does this not only work if you are using a Microsoft email account? I am using Hotmail which would work but I am also using Gmail (almost done getting it gone) and three accounts through my hosting. Would not the three accounts through my hosting not be available via Exchange?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 am 
Fearless Leader

No, they are hosting my Computer Haven email accounts. Hotmail is now on Exchange anyway. Beyond that, I know surprisingly little about it, Jay. I'm sure Steve can answer your questions.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:38 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
I didn't seem to have that issue when I had things setup with Outlook 2007 using SyncToy. I almost exclusively use my main system for email. I would set the other systems to leave a copy on the server. This would mean that I could check email on a second system if I wanted and it would still be there for the main system. It was not until I deleted via the main system that it would actually be gone.

Setting all machines to leave a copy on the server for POP accounts works great for inbound mail to your inbox. It does not work for Sent mail or actions you took on items in the inbox on any secondary machines (move/copy/edit). The Sync will always be one way -- albeit the direction you choose, meaning your entire PST will be overwritten with the one you decide is the "master" or primary.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Pardon me if I am wrong but does this not only work if you are using a Microsoft email account? I am using Hotmail which would work but I am also using Gmail (almost done getting it gone) and three accounts through my hosting. Would not the three accounts through my hosting not be available via Exchange?

Gmail can be set as IMAP and Hotmail/Outlook.com is Exchange, so these accounts will synchronize/replicate on their own if you use multiple devices/PCs.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I am one of those who is not bothered in the least by threads that go off topic. The simple fact is that through the years I have learned as much from threads that have strayed off topic as by those that did not. That is one thing that I have always appreciated about Patty, her tolerance for threads straying: too much knowledge comes out.

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:59 am 

Ditto to that Acadia, I pick up tips that way as well especially as I'm having a few problems with mail at present and Stephen mentioning the kind of mail Hotmail and Outlook are is useful.

You're looking very trendy Patty, I like your new Avatar. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email