Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Microsoft have changed the layout of IE11 in their Sept 12 2017 Monthly Rollup, of particular annoyance for me is the "Updates to Internet Explorer 11’s navigation bar with search box".
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4038777

Namely, they have forced a Search Box at the end of the Address Bar and the only way to remove the Search Box is to move the Tabs to the same toolbar as the Address Bar, neither of which I want! :(
cf. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/933 ... -11-a.html

I've searched for a way (hack etc.) to revert back to the old layout but so far the only option I've found is to uninstall KB403877, probably a very bad idea as far as system security is concerned so for the time being i'll have to live with it...

That said, if anyone comes across a way to change this IE11 setting so my IE11 can once again look like the following It'd be much appreciated...

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Here is one solution... Right click in an empty space to the right of your tabs. At the bottom of the context menu disable the option to show tabs in a separate row. The search box is gone but the tabs will now show to the right of the address bar instead.

You can also go to Tools/Manage-ons/Search providers. Uncheck the box to 'Search in the address bar and....'. The problem here is that it will get rid of the search box but also disable the ability to use the address bar for search entries. This would not be acceptable for me.

The only other way I know is to change to a search provider other than Bing.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:11 pm 

Hmmm, changing search providers is supposed to remove the search box but I just tried it and it did not work... mayhaps needs a re-boot.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Here is one solution... Right click in an empty space to the right of your tabs. At the bottom of the context menu disable the option to show tabs in a separate row. The search box is gone but the tabs will now show to the right of the address bar instead.

You can also go to Tools/Manage-ons/Search providers. Uncheck the box to 'Search in the address bar and....'. The problem here is that it will get rid of the search box but also disable the ability to use the address bar for search entries. This would not be acceptable for me.

The only other way I know is to change to a search provider other than Bing.

No offence but that's the standard online response that's being posted by users that don't understand the issue (or have no issue with the Search Box being present)... and that includes the response by Brink on tenforums that I linked to.

None of your suggestions work to restore my browser to the layout that existed prior to Sept 12th.

I.e. Toolbars in order of appearance:

i. Address bar WITHOUT Search Box.
ii. Tabs below Address bar.
iii. Menu bar.

It shouldn't be rocket science but apparently MS are doing their best to break something that was never broken in IE11 :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:14 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hmmm, changing search providers is supposed to remove the search box but I just tried it and it did not work... mayhaps needs a re-boot.

It won't work, been there, tried that... and failed. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:17 pm 

No offence taken at all. Sadly what I listed, as is in your link, is all I know. I also get nothing helpful on searches.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
No offence taken at all. Sadly what I listed, as is in your link, is all I know. I also get nothing helpful on searches.

It's so annoying that MS introduced this, presumably it's a layout they figure isn't used often in IE11.. or just another way to foist Win10 on people that don't want it?? An endless debate best suited for another day...

All i know is on my monitor i now have 7 inches (or circa 17cm for the so called millennials) of screen space to get through to go from the Refresh button to the Home/Favourites etc buttons... add that my preferred placement of Du Meter was in a fairly neutral screen space and now isn't... fubar.

Imo, there appear to be enough people complaining about this change that eventually someone will sit up and take notice... probably 3rd party entities like sevenforums/Classic Shell/Winaero etc, when they accept the issue exists...

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:09 pm 

It is the same in Windows 10 so I don't think it has anything to do with getting people to go to Windows 10. Now... Is it a subtle push to get people to switch from IE to Edge in Windows 10? Of course I can't say but Edge does not have the search box.

Hey, I'm on a 42 inch monitor. I have 10 inches between refresh and home. ;)

To be honest the search box does not bother me. The change never even registered with me until you mentioned. Of course it is possible that the addition happened earlier in Windows 10 but I really have no idea.

What bothers me is that there is absolutely no reason for the search box. With being able to enter a search in the address bar it all boils down to the fact that there are two search boxes sitting next to each other. That really makes no sense to me.

Just checked something and have to wonder what is up. I don't know if it was previously there but I just installed the latest version of Firefox and it also has the search box to the right of the address bar. Wish I would have thought to open my previous earlier version of Firefox to check before installing the latest version.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:21 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
What bothers me is that there is absolutely no reason for the search box. With being able to enter a search in the address bar it all boils down to the fact that there are two search boxes sitting next to each other. That really makes no sense to me.

Add also that my home page is also set for a search engine so I probably almost certainly have no need for a search box or an address bar (if the sole purpose was to access a search engine) because my Home button will do that.... if I could reach it! LOL

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:23 pm 
welcoming committee

I think FF has always had a search box but it can be removed/disabled... I could be wrong as I only use FF when IE11 fails to open websites or crashes... another subject that's a potential can of worms... :(

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

:rofl2: No comment! :rofl2: :asleep: :omg: :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:29 pm 

Ya, it seems that FF has had the box for ages. Just booted my laptop to Win 7 instead of 10 and FF has the box. Guess I'll go ahead and update FF on that system. It is running version 34.x.x when current is 55.x.x.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

:rofl2: No comment! :rofl2: :asleep: :omg: :rofl2:

What can I say? Size matters... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:36 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

On a more serious note not much makes much sense to me in the browser industry these days, they used to do what was required, it seems these days all they try to do is bugger (is that an acceptable word here?) up what already worked.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:41 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

On a more serious note not much makes much sense to me in the browser industry these days, they used to do what was required, it seems these days all they try to do is bugger (is that an acceptable word here?) up what already worked.

I think a lot has to do with mobile devices.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I think a lot has to do with mobile devices.

Do you think? I used to think the same but hasn't the mobile industry moved on in leaps and bounds... I can't think of the last time any of my mobile devices didn't default to a mobile website?... IOS and Android have been spectacular in their progress... MS and Linux could probably learn a lot, and likely will need to in years to come. 8-)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm 

It was really just a guess Doddie. I don't even carry a cell phone. The only real mobile device I own is a tablet that I use almost exclusively for reading.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the layout you desire isn't available in IE after this update. You aren't alone in being irritated in this change by Microsoft!

https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/how-to-d ... ation-bar/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Unfortunately, the layout you desire isn't available in IE after this update. You aren't alone in being irritated in this change by Microsoft!

Thanks Steve, I figured as much but I'm keeping the faith that someone somewhere will find a workaround that hides the search box when tabs are on a separate row, or, MS have a change of heart and enable an option to hide it, whichever comes first will be welcomed by me ;)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ya, it seems that FF has had the box for ages. Just booted my laptop to Win 7 instead of 10 and FF has the box. Guess I'll go ahead and update FF on that system. It is running version 34.x.x when current is 55.x.x.

I think you might find this article about expected changes in Firefox 57 interesting, kind of ironic given that in my case MS are apparently going in the other direction with IE11 :roll:

Firefox 57 Will Hide Search Bar and Use a Uni-Bar Approach, Like Chrome:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... ke-chrome/

For anyone interested in how to remove/hide the search box in Firefox 55 (and below):
https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-r ... n-firefox/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:

Firefox 57 Will Hide Search Bar and Use a Uni-Bar Approach, Like Chrome:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... ke-chrome/

For anyone interested in how to remove/hide the search box in Firefox 55 (and below):
https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-r ... n-firefox/

Thank Doddie. Search Box now gone in FF

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
Thank Doddie. Search Box now gone in FF

You're welcome, dragging and dropping what's effectively a toolbar into a setting menu is about as far removed from obvious on a desktop pc as possible which is why I thought it might be a good idea to post a howto... I guess that's the the mobile effect Jay hinted at, how he knows these things is beyond me! ;)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
You're welcome, dragging and dropping what's effectively a toolbar into a setting menu is about as far removed from obvious on a desktop pc as possible which is why I thought it might be a good idea to post a howto... I guess that's the the mobile effect Jay hinted at, how he knows these things is beyond me! ;)

I hear that.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm 

A LOT of the time I don't know. I'm just one of those people that trust their hunches and instincts. Quite often they are right. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email