Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi all, I mistakenly downloaded the free version of Kaspersky and during the install, it stated my router was not secure because it was a common name (whatever that means) and it asked if it could make it secure and turns out it changed my network password(?) or I think it did because now my Outlook is popping up for me to enter the password and I don't remember the one I used before I started this install. I am still able to access my gmail online but in Outlook it was popping up the Enter Network password box. I see an icon on the bar at the bottom that states the Netgear info. I did not continue the Kaspersky install and now I'm in the middle. Does anyone know if its safe for me to close all programs and restart and not lose my Netgear connection? I'm very sorry right now I tried to install this but I had no idea this would happen. Ideally I'd like to restart and uninstall this but I didn't actually finish the install.

Any thoughts on what I can do? Thanks in advance for ANY help!! :(
ps: The popup in Outlook hasn't come up again since I cancelled through it but once I get Kaspersky uninstalled I can't be sure if it'll be back. I think I can find my original passcode in a folder in the car so it's not a total loss.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:22 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You MIGHT get away with using System Restore to put the system settings back to before the Kaspersky install but if actual router settings were changed I doubt that would help.

The question is whether the Kaspersky install actually changed router settings or just your network password within Windows. If you know the log in for your router you could try to access. If able to log into the router it is likely that a System Restore may help.

I'd suggest that you wait to see what Steve has to say as he is much more able than am I as to networking issues.

It would help if you could supply the following info:
Version of Windows; I assume Windows 10.
The make and model of the router.

I'm going to move this to the 'Home Networks' forum just due it seeming a better area.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm 
welcoming committee

I can wait to see what Steve has to say. I think (just guessing) this was a temporary password change for their continuing download to do actual scans. There was a window on the task bar that gave the router into and if I remember right was referencing Kaspersky like it was temporary (said Kaspersky secure connection). I wish I could copy paste a snipping tool image. I could try if it's not too complicated to make it into image.

Since I don't get the popup from Outlook anymore and emails are coming down as usual it doesn't appear there is any permanent damage. The taskbar has 2 icons + 1 window open waiting for the Kaspersky scan if I choose. I did save some copy/paste images to a Word doc if any of those would help. Wish I could give you or Steve access to this PC, so much info that is easier to see the screen than explain the image but it wouldn't help future viewers.

The only reason I wanted to run this Kaspersky scan was to confirm there is not malware/virus on this PC because Malwarebytes didn't find anything but I did get that pop up about Defender expired which looks malware-like to me and another warning I got that I can't even remember anymore but looked suspicious.

Will see what Steve thinks, thanks Jay for this!!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
When you do the MBAM scan are you using the quick scan or the threat scan? To be honest I'm not sure that the free version of MBAM even has the threat scan as I've been using the pro version for years.

Also, did you actually open Defender to see what it said? Are you sure that it was actually saying that Defender was expired or may it have said that the definitions were out of date?

As to the Snipping tool here is a link that should get you going.
https://www.howtogeek.com/207754/how-to ... reenshots/
You would want to have what you want to snip visible on the screen. To upload a snip to these forums you need to be using the full editor, not quick reply. Once you have the snip saved to your system you use the browse and add options below the text input area. Once an image is uploaded to the forums you will see an option to 'place in-line'. Put your cursor where you want the image in the text input box and select to place in-line.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:56 pm 
welcoming committee

With MBAM I used the Custom, where I chose C: D: E: F: drives. I see there is a checkmark in the Threat window but I know I chose Custom so maybe all it did was a Threat Scan. I should mention Malwarebytes did find maybe 15 files that were quarantined/deleted 2 scans earlier in the month but not these latest scans but I deleted that one. I did want the free malwarebytes but I got the Premium preview so that's why mine offers Threat (its really hard to know what they will give me, I do always choose Free but that doesn't mean anything).

No I didn't open Defender because I thought it was free with Windows 10 so figured it was a scam, didn't even open Defender. I can't even find Defender on here, where is it? Its not under the normal places.

Ok, will send the 2 snips I have right now.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect Kaspersky was setting up a proxy for your connection, which is why Outlook balked.
Defender can be found on Windows 10 either by typing Defender in the Cortana Search or by opening settings/Update and Security/Windows Security.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Attachment:
Kaspersky 3 .jpg
Kaspersky 3 .jpg [ 18.92 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

Attachment:
New Picture (2).jpg
New Picture (2).jpg [ 24.92 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

Here are the 2 snips, sorry for the oversizing.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:22 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I suspect Kaspersky was setting up a proxy for your connection, which is why Outlook balked.
Defender can be found on Windows 10 either by typing Defender in the Cortana Search or by opening settings/Update and Security/Windows Security.

The proxy makes sense & since its ok now, I feel ok. I just a bit nervous to close Kaspersky and uninstall but my normal Netgear icon on task bar is back so may be fine.
For Defender, I did look in CP, Security/Maintenance but where is Settings, not in Control Panel? All I found in CP was Windows Defender Firewall but is not what I wanted.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:23 pm 
welcoming committee

UPDATE!!

Never mind found Settings and etc. under windows icon.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Update 2:
Is there a place in Security/Maintenance where there is an expiration date of Defender? I didn't see one.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Working backwards through your posts -- Defender does not expire. It could be disabled when another antivirus program is installed to handle protection for your system. That's by design, but it doesn't expire. Definitions can be out of date, but it's easy enough to update them; they should update automatically via Windows Update.
Your screen capture suggests that Kaspersky was setting up a VPN or Virtual Private Network. It was not changing your router settings.
Settings is the gear on the Start menu. Control Panel is going away -- albeit slowly -- in Windows 10. Unfortunately, Microsoft still has not managed to get all of the functionality found via the Control Panel applet into the common settings interface, but they are getting closer. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Stephen, this helps a lot in all situations. Also, I wasn't sure if I did this right but I sent you 2 PMs but not sure if I missed a step. Please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks so much!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

I replied to your PMs. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks