Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 pm 
welcoming committee

I am running version 1809 on my Win 10 Pro computer. If I click on the Network icon on my Win 10 computer, my two older Win 7 computers are listed but not the Win 10 computer itself.

However, if I go to either Win 7 Pro computer, both Win 7 computers and the Win 10 computer are listed under Network.

Why doesn't my Win 10 computer recognize itself as a network device on the Network listing? On older versions of Win 10, I thought it was listed, but I don't see it anymore.

Thanks in advance....

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Apparently a change in the way Windows Explorer classifies items. My 1809 machines don't show themselves under Network. "This PC" would be where to see the PC itself, while other machines on the network will be under "Network"
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. What you describe is exactly what I am now seeing.

I suddenly decided to do some file sharing between computers, and I had to relearn how since Homegroup is no longer available on Win 10 computer. I got it all figured out, but that's when I noticed that my Win 10/1809 computer was not listed under Network.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am 
Site Admin

I hadn't paid attention to that change, but confirmed it after you mentioned it. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:11 pm 
welcoming committee

I am experiencing the same thing and have been for a while. I have two Win 10 Pro 64-bit V1909 machines. Neither one shows up in the Network folder in Windows Explorer on either machine. Neither machine recognizes itself or the other machine. Steve you say this is normal. Then how do you share access between the machines? Is there a fix for this?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You may be doing the same as myself Terry as File Explorer does not show my shared folders either. What I did was to create shortcuts to my shared folders/drives. For instance to access the second system data drive from my main I select a shortcut with the destination of "\\jay-br\Data-br".

Steve can probably explain this better than I but I think it is due to selecting to share folders/drives rather than setting up a true network.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Jaylach wrote:
For instance to access the second system data drive from my main I select a shortcut with the destination of "\\jay-br\Data-br".

I don't understand -br. If computer A wants to access Computer B what would I type into the Windows File Explorer?

Another thing that probably doesn't work anymore since the computers don't recognize each other on the network is the Sync Toy program. I found this program to be very useful per Patty's recommendation.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 pm 

jay-br is the name of the second system. You would need to replace with your own drive/folder name.

Like I said Steve can probably be of more help than I with a network issue. Since you said that Sync Toy probably no longer works I suggest trying it if it is already setup on the systems. If it still works then your connection between systems would have to be OK and it would be a matter of setting up shortcuts between systems. Of course I'm assuming that you used share instead of setting up an actual network.

Regardless you should still wait to see what Steve has to say...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 pm 
welcoming committee

My folders had sharing parameters set up previously. Jay here is what I found out:

1. When I typed \\ComputerName\ in a File Explorer window it immediately showed shared folders from that computer. For example \\ComputerName\My Movies\ was displayed and accessible. I was able to set up my PowerDVD library accordingly.
2. When I launched Sync Toy I noticed that in the previous sync pairing the receiving folder was listed with \\ComputerName\FolderName\ protocol.

The bottom line is everything works as it should when using this string name. It's just a roundabout way of getting to the source.
Thanks for your help Jay.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm 

No problem Terry. I suspect but don't know that sharing is different than an actual network.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:47 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
No problem Terry. I suspect but don't know that sharing is different than an actual network.

Now I'm a bit confused. I always thought your network was created when you set up your modem, router and accessed the internet. After that all your devices connect to that network by Lan or Wan. Even when my computers were visible on my network the internal drives and folders had to be shared to be accessed by the alternate computer.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:00 pm 

No, sharing an internet connection is not actually networking. I still want to see an input from Steve but it is my understanding that sharing folders/drives is also not truly networking. For an example you can share folders/drives with IPV6 disabled but cannot setup a true network unless it is enabled on all systems involved.

I'm sorry but hardware is my forte if I have one. Networking is definitely not my forte. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:25 am 
Site Admin

My machines are now on 1909, except for the one that is on the Insider Preview fast ring. File Explorer doesn't show the computers on my network, though it shows "media devices" for other PCs. I no longer use SyncToy, but to access shared folders on other PCs on my network I set up the path as Jay describes -- \\Computer\Share\Folder
My network is set up as a private network, file and printer sharing and network discovery is enabled. I have set up shares with permissions for folders that I wish to share.
All devices connected to the same router, receiving IP4 addressing from that router (or using the same schema for the IP4 addressing), are on your network. Whether these devices can be seen or accessed by each other will depend on the way they are configured to allow access or visibility. I can't say why Windows changed the way computers were shown in File Explorer, but can only confirm that visibility is different from what it was previously.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:44 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Steve!
Thank you for adding to this with a very thorough explanation with examples. :tup3:
May I ask why you no longer use Sync Toy?

Steve wrote:
I can't say why Windows changed the way computers were shown in File Explorer, but can only confirm that visibility is different from what it was previously.

I can only add that Microsoft advanced their sharing protocol from SMB1 to either SMB2 and/or SMB3. Currently this affects my USB sharing on my Linksys router. When I plug my 1TB SSD drive in the USB port it won't share it unless I revert back to SMB1 protocol which I won't do. I have talked with Linksys Support techs earlier this year and they aren't in any hurry to write new firmware addressing this issue. This was one of the main reasons for buying this router. Very sad!

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:48 pm 

Steve and I both use GoodSync.
https://www.goodsync.com/

I can't speak as to Steve's reasons, only my own. First off I find GoodSync more versatile. Also it is often updated where Sync Toy is not. To me this tends to indicate that GoodSync is likely less open to vulnerabilities. If there are issues Sync Toy has no support available.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to read about your issue with Linksys. They really need to step up and add support for the more secure SMB protocol.
Jay already answered about Goodsync. I actually referred him to it after I had been using it for a few years. It isn't free, but it is much more versatile than SyncToy. I had encountered some odd issues with SyncToy where some files were not being copied over. I researched alternatives and settled on Goodsync and have been very pleased with it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:38 pm 

If you want to look at GoodSync, Terry, it does have a free trial. Use the free trial before buying to make sure that you feel it is worth the $50.00 price tag. Note that the license seems to be lifetime. The reason that I recommend trying the free trial first is that it is not for everyone. If I remember right Steve and I recommended to bbarry and he just didn't like it.

GoodSync will allow you to sync in either direction between systems and/or bi-directional. It also has a sort of backup mode which is what I use between my main and second systems. It makes the data drive on my second system the same as that on my main. If I add something to my main system or delete something it is reflected on my second system. I use it this way to make the data drive on my second system an exact, usable, backup of my main system's data drive.

If I remember right (it's been a long time since I've used Sync Toy) you have to set up a scheduled sync through Task Scheduler. With GoodSync the scheduling is all through the GoodSync app and easy/simple. If the drive/folder is set up as shared GoodSync can access.

Why do I use it as a backup method? I run 7 virtual machines. All the virtual machine files, including the virtual hard drives, are on my data drive. Now let's say that I try an experiment on one of my virtual machines and blow the thing out of the water. I simply go to my shared data drive on my second system and copy the files back to my main system. Every thing is fixed. :) I also have a few other web sites other than Computer Haven. All site files are on my data drive and backed up to my second system every time I sync. If I mess up and break things on a site I just access the data on my second system and copy back what was working.

I think that Steve does the same but am not totally certain. While scheduled syncs are easily setup through GoodSync I do mine manually. Since I use it to backup the data on my main system to my second I don't want a schedule to replace something on my backup until I'm certain that it is good.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, you are partially correct. You did recommend GoodSync based on the good experience you and Steve had, but I don't think I ever tried it. I've been using SyncToy for several years, ever since Patty recommended it and told me how to use it. I do have to utilize Task Scheduler, but I have never had a problem doing so. I also use File History for backing up my data files.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:45 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, you are partially correct. You did recommend GoodSync based on the good experience you and Steve had, but I don't think I ever tried it. I've been using SyncToy for several years, ever since Patty recommended it and told me how to use it. I do have to utilize Task Scheduler, but I have never had a problem doing so. I also use File History for backing up my data files.

LOL! as long ago as it was I didn't do too bad even remembering that it was recommended. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

I don't use the scheduling feature of Goodsync, but I have multiple jobs set up to copy data from my main desktop to other computers and my Network Attached Storage. I also back up data from my wife's PC to the NAS. I use it to copy a large music library to my phone's SD card, keeping the phone copy up to date. I run all of these jobs manually. Some are run daily and some less frequently.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:

LOL! as long ago as it was I didn't do too bad even remembering that it was recommended. ;)

Jay, no you didn't do too bad and I stand corrected. You were right....I did try GoodSync back in late-2017 and didn't like it. Since then, SyncToy has worked well for me.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:54 pm 

No worries BB. In fact I don't really use GoodSync as a true sync system. I use it more as a backup method for my data and media. The data and media drives on my second system are, more or less, a clone of the same drives on my main system. In fact, if I added something to my second system's data drive, I had best use my sharing to copy it to the data drive on my main system. If I do not, and run GoodSync, the added file on the second system's data drive will be deleted as it is not present on the main system data drive.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't truly sync but use GoodSync as a cloning method through my network for my data and media drives. Say that the 6 TB drive in my main system went south. I could pull the 6 TB drive out of my second system and then mount in my main system. There would be no operational difference from before the original drive busted in the main system. Put a new drive in the second system and allow GoodSync to make it a new clone of my media.

I don't know if I'm saying things in an easy way to understand or not. If there are any questions by anyone please ask. :)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't truly sync but use GoodSync as a cloning method through my network for my data and media drives.

You are, in fact, synchronizing. :-) It is a one way sync, with the main system being the source and the backup system being the destination and propagate deletions is set. If you wanted to, you could disable the deletions and it becomes a failsafe single copy backup. And, as you know, you could set it for a 2-way sync so that files added to (or deleted from) either PC are copied to the other.
That's why I really like Goodsync -- it has powerful options to configure how you wish to sync. Additionally, you can do an analyze first and review what will happen if you proceed and you can make changes before proceeding. For example, if you analyze and it shows a file will be deleted, you can choose to not delete that file.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:44 pm 

I suppose that you are right in that I'm still actually synchronizing. I just have a long time habit of thinking of a sync as both ways. What I do I think of as a file backup.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:07 pm 
welcoming committee

I use SyncToy to keep an exact copy of My Documents drive and Folder the same on both machines. I use the echo setting. So far I haven't had any problems with the performance of the program. I'll still check out Good Sync.

Steve wrote:
Sorry to read about your issue with Linksys. They really need to step up and add support for the more secure SMB protocol.

I have to call Linksys again to press the issue that this was an important buying feature for me and many other users as well. Other then this one feature the router is very good.

Attachments:
File comment: You can preview what folder or files will be selected by clicking the Preview button at lower right.
SyncToy_preview.png
SyncToy_preview.png [ 98.59 KiB | Viewed 6011 times ]
File comment: List and explanation of possible actions.
SyncToy_actions.png
SyncToy_actions.png [ 81.06 KiB | Viewed 6011 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks