Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Terry, Please don't take me wrong in presenting GoodSync. You are happy with Sync Toy and that is fine as it works for you. I used to use it also but just found GoodSync easier to deal with and better for my purpose.

My purpose in presenting GoodSync was not to try to convince you to switch but to offer you an alternative that you might find of interest.

In a previous post I did state that one concern was that Sync Toy was no longer supported or in development (since 2009 I believe) which could make it more likely to be exploited. While this is a totally true and valid concern I have to admit that Sync Toy would not be a likely candidate for exploitation due to it being a very small target as to usage.

Bottom line is that Steve and I like GoodSync and you like Sync Toy. There is nothing wrong with this as, if everyone liked the same thing, there would be no reason for different programs that basically do the same thing. I DO suggest that you look at the free trial of GoodSync to see what it does. Don't buy it unless it does what you need better than Sync Toy.

BTW, Steve and I both gave the same solution as to accessing a shared drive/folder using a shortcut link. Looking at your first screenshot above if you are able to copy the path shown for the right folder just paste it to a new shortcut as the shortcut location.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:26 am 
welcoming committee

Jay just so we are on the same page, I'm always open to good suggestions and I'm not upset in anyway. I only posted the pictures to show that Sync Toy also has the same syncing options. I always learn something new or am reminded of something when I read or post in Computer Haven. I've made a note about GoodSync. The important factor is that is a current program, up to date program WITH support. It's too bad the Microsoft develops good programs and after a few years dumps them along the road side. I still miss Windows Live Mail but that's a whole other topic of conversation.

With file sharing, I have set up the paths to each folder the same way as you and Steve suggested. Everything is good and it works splendidly.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As to Sync Toy not being current and having been dropped here is my understanding but don't take this as absolute fact. It is just a story that I have heard. Sync Toy was not directly developed by Microsoft but rather by a couple of Microsoft employees in their spare time. Microsoft felt it was worth publishing but as a free product as it was not a Microsoft development. The actual authors left Microsoft around 2009 hence the loss of support and/or updates.

I also miss Live Mail but found a decent replacement in eM Client. It is free if you just have one or two email accounts. To handle more than two accounts it is not free. Bbarry and I both use this client and are happy. :)
https://www.emclient.com/
One of the things that I really like is that you usually just need to enter the email password and account. It will then poll the email server requesting required settings. If the sever supplies the info (seems most will) it automatically sets up the account. It was even able to automatically setup the three accounts I have through my hosting.

<edit>
I was looking for something else and tripped across this article. It may be of interest.
http://joannenova.com.au/2014/10/a-nice-software-surprise-better-then-synctoy-and-an-update-from-david/

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks