Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post subject: The final repair??
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:55 am 
welcoming committee

I know it isn't your intent to ignore me, so I'll persist. (I'm at, "How do I...?")
I am on day eleven.

Can't fix my printer so that I can print from laptop. Can't fix HP Printer Solution Center. I reinstalled HP software and drives at least 10 times. Thorough steps, many as Admin. Before I hit Windows Repair, are there one or two last steps?

I am certain that it's my computer. Both devices work find, except they can't communicate to Print online. Internal test was fine.

I did sfc/scannow on Friday. I can't find the logs (are they hidden?) and the ones that are saved on DT, I can't read. I tried the dism / command, but the message said it wouldn't work for this function (I think). Does that mean Win7 or did it mysteriously know my intent?

I have Win7 Home Premium SP1 (old). Other than backing up my computer, are there any tips or warnings? This would be my first OS repair. (SysRest is not an option.) I assume I'm after general corruption.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: The final repair??
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Nancy,

You are likely not receiving responses because nobody wants to step out on the limb and guide you through a complex process that doesn't guarantee results. Add to this that it is next to impossible to frame the scope of your problem because you continue to make new discussions... Please keep to a single discussion for a single problem.

I don't have a clue about your problem with the printer. In my opinion, the HP software is crap. I would not be repairing Windows in order to deal with a printer issue. I don't know why you tried to run DISM or even SFC.

Does the printer work from the desktop PC? Is the printer attached to the desktop PC?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

That's acceptable also.
This is the same verbiage as the warning 1909. Fail #2 is has been a consistent error since the first install. I tried working it from two ends.

The printer is just over a year old and works. After using every troubleshooting program available from MS & HP, I'm out of diagnostics. Having done 10+/- uninstalls and installs, with the same result, I am out of ideas.

Crappy or not, this is what I have. One day it was fine and the next day it wasn't.

The error is looking for a file that doesn't exist. I ran scannow to try to fix Windows files. (I assume that adding this missing file is not an option - and since installing the software didn't create the file, corruption seems likely, in my opinion.)

The printer does NOT work from the desktop. The printer IS attached. The printer faxes, scans, and copies.
Attachment:
Fail #2 (1).jpg
Fail #2 (1).jpg [ 34.16 KiB | Viewed 12440 times ]

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

The printer works, but it doesn't work from the desktop or the laptop? How do you then determine that the printer works? Copy/FAX/Scan are other functions that the device can handle. Copying doesn't involve a PC. I assume you are able to scan and send/receive FAXes from a computer through the device?

The error in you last post's image suggests that the problem is with permissions -- something is preventing the installer from updating the Start Menu shortcut.

If you forget about the Solution Center software and simply use the add printer wizard in Windows 7, what happens on the PC where the printer is physically connected? Is the printer shared on that PC? Are the desktop and laptop part of a Homegroup? Is File and Printer sharing enabled? Is your network listed as Private in the Network and Sharing center?

Did the printer ever work as a printer from either PC? What changed prior to it not working?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

Because I did a print test - prints internally.
Yes, that was the last thing that I said.

I mentioned permissions in my earlier post. ((Still unclear whether I have the ability/option/capability to create/replace the missing file. I looked at my Admin privileges and tried changing from Read Only - to add the file, but that didn't work.)

What happens when I use Add Printer wizard? It lists HP 8500 as default.
When I open a document on laptop and try to print, limited options appear. I am supposed to have an HP 8500 Printer Series and HP 8500 Fax in devices. Fax not present.
I can't select paper size, color, drying time, etc.
Memo on page: "There was an error when printing started. Check" your devices....
You don't hear the carriage move. Computer not talking to the printer.

Printer is not shared.
(No Desktop and) LT not part of Homegroup. I only have my laptop and it's just me here.
File and Printer sharing off.
(Public sharing is on.)
Private network.

Printer has always worked as a printer, since I bought it March 2014.
Thursday, eleven days ago, I went to print from a document and ---nothing happened.
No error, just no action. Silence. Began troubleshooting and diagnosing - and installing software/drivers. Solution Center didn't get installed the last time (yesterday) and I can't set it up today because that error appears. Prior to this, I have only had SC not open automatically for the longest time (months), but I can still click it open. I had never gotten an error until 11 days ago.

My experience with SC the past five years has been - every other month SC would not open automatically when paper inserted in fax. Every other month after an MS Update, I would lose a SC function. Every other month after an MS Update, the SC function would come back. Mind you, a SC function is not the same as a printer function.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

I understand that the device works, but that the problem is with the connection to the PC or PCs.

Please advise how the printer is connected to the computer or computers. You mention the desktop and laptop, but not sharing the printer. How was it working in the past? Is the printer a network printer? Do you normally (when it is working) connect wirelessly or is it plugged into your router with an Ethernet cable? Or is it connected via USB to the computer you are using and you switch the cable when switching computers?

Have you tried a system restore to the point before the problem began? I presume that your PC updated last week with a bunch of Windows Updates.

You may have already answered some or all of the above, but in different places on the forum. It would be to your (and everyone else's) advantage to stick to a single discussion for a single problem. ;-)

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:16 am 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

(Your phrasing is still a little bit weird - which is why I edited out printer not shared and USB from earlier post.)
You want to know which wires go where?
One laptop, one phone, one printer.
There is no network.
Printer is not shared, either.

Printer to laptop via USB.
Printer to Computer and Phone via Uverse Gateway.
Computer to Gateway and Printer.
Phone split to printer & uverse.

If you need clarity & details, you will have to wait until the sun comes out.

It's a wireless printer that has been hardwired since I bought it. (The last OJ 8500 in America.)
I don't move anything - I am stationery all day, every day and I do not change any connections.
I do not unplug the laptop to take to the pool, either.

I couldn't do SysRest because I really don't know the last time that I could successfully print from computer. Vague is not helpful, nor is going back three to four weeks. I use the fax function primarily.
You presume correctly.

I had different questions for different problems - or I was working two angles. I was waiting for somebody to rein me in. But - I hear you! And to your earlier question - what changed? To my knowledge, nothing changed. I didn't touch it this time!

And I don't really know when it changed, only when I discovered it. I do not often print. Maybe there was a (MacDuffie, are you listening?) power surge while I was sleeping.

You are a trooper - and a patient man.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am 
Site Admin

The sun is up here, but I need to digest what you've answered before I compose a reply. ;-) It may not be until evening, though.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 pm 
welcoming committee

I have two phones to repair.
There is not a lack of things to do - which has it's merits and pitfalls.
I am grateful for NOT working twelve straight days on a bloody laptop.

Thank you, Mr Boots!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

How about I give you another day off from fighting with the printer? I'm exhausted from another crazy day at the office. No promises that tomorrow will be any less crazy, but maybe I'll have more sleep tonight. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:41 pm 
welcoming committee

It would be my pleasure!
Sleep well, child.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:12 pm 
welcoming committee

This is going to sound silly, but can you try plugging the printer into a different USB port on the laptop? Windows may treat it as a new device and fix the issue automagically.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Everything and nothing sounds silly, David. I'll try it, but I am not hopeful - that bloody privileges warning has persisted over the past thirteen days.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

You have another day of rest from advice coming from me -- I was on a work support issue from 11:00 PM to 2:00 AM today and then up at 6:00 for a long work day of lunacy....

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Very happy to hear.
Sleep well. Stay sane.
Thank you, Stephen.

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks