Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Actually it dawned on me that it doesn't matter in my case anyway as I use HDMI audio through my video card.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:38 pm 

Even though I don't plan on doing this build until late summer or early fall I've been looking at stuff. Looks like Samsung has lost the top spot for M.2 PCIe SSD drives. Sabrent seems to have broke the speed limit at a reasonable price, 1 TB for $169.98. The thing has a potential read speed of 5000 MB/sec. It also scores a 4.8/5 with 7672 reviews on Amazon. At this time it seems that only newer AMD based systems will fully support PCIe 4 which is needed for the 5000 MB/sec reads. I plan to run two such drives in the same setup as I currently use for my system; one for system and the other for clones. One mother board I've look at has three M.2 slots; two PCIe 4 and one PCIe 3. If I end up with a board with three I may also go M.2 for my video conversions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLYWMYW/?tag=techsitingfam-20

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:07 am 

Just thought that I'd finish this off. I have decided against doing a new build as what I REALLY was after was beefing up my second system to where it can handle Windows 10 better.

Instead of a totally new build I replaced the video card on my main with a new unit and put my old main video card in the second system. I spent a LOT of money on the new video card but I do a lot of video editing and re-encoding.

Here is what I had in the main. It is an AMD Sapphire r9 380 series 4 GB GDDR5 Nitro. This card is now in my second system.
https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-DL-DVI-D-Graphics-11242-07-20G/dp/B00ZGL8D5M

Here is what I got to put in my main. It is a GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6700 XT EAGLE 12G GDDR6 12 GB card. Ya, I spent a LOT on the card at ~$1100.00 but that comes to a lot less than the $2500.00-$3000.00 I was looking at for a new build.
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6700-xt-gv-r67xteagle-12gd/p/N82E16814932418?Item=9SIAVT8F274462
One of the reasons I wanted a higher level video card is that I'm now driving 2 4K displays. A 43 inch straight 4K and a 55 inch 4K with HDR.

I have to laugh at myself just a little on installing the new card as it would not quit fit being about 1/4 inch too long. I was a bit irritated as I knew the fit would be close and measured quite carefully. Nothing I did was getting it to fit. Then it finally dawned on me to pull off the output port's protection plugs that stick out about 1/4 inch. After that the card slid right in without issue.

So far all looks good and I'm happy. Of course time will tell as I just did the installs earlier today.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware