Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Re: Failed Hard Drive
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Glad you got it worked out. :)

I have found that sometimes you need to reboot the internet modem/router when connecting a new wi-fi device.

Also sorry for some goofs in my recent posts such as saying Device Manager instead of Disk Management.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Yea Doddie, it was the DVD drive or the operator thereof (me). I sometimes just don't get the DVD straight in the tray.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
I did encounter one problem during the install....I couldn't connect to the internet. The system kept looking for an Ethernet connection, since that is what my friend uses in her house. I disabled the Ethernet but I couldn't get the system to recognize my wifi connection even though the computer has an internal wifi adapter. I'll work on that issue after my nap.

Updating drivers, Chipset, Ethernet etc will likely resolve this issue.

Enjoy your nap :zzz9:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:08 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Also sorry for some goofs in my recent posts such as saying Device Manager instead of Disk Management.

As much help as you have been to me over the years, some goofs are allowed. :D

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:40 pm 

Actually this time I DO mean device Manager. :mrgreen: Check Device Manager for unknown devices. Also look under network adapters to see if the wireless is listed. If Network adapters show a wired adapter, but not wireless, you can do the following by connecting an Ethernet cable from your router to the friend's system. If not you will have to find drivers on another system and save them to a flash drive or other media that can be ported to the friend's system. Give the make/model and I'm sure that we can help find drivers.

If you are able to connect with a wired connection do the following:
Check for any unknown devices in Device Manager, right click and select Properties. Under the driver tab select to update the driver and allow searching on-line (top option). If this fails you are going to have to manually download drivers and install.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

For your Internet issue on her PC, go to the Dell Support site on your PC and download the drivers for the Ethernet and WiFi to a flash drive. (There should be a "support tag" bar code on her PC that you put in to go to her specific model.) Then plug that flash drive into her PC and install the drivers. That should allow you to set up the WiFi connection and prepare it for her plugged in connection.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 pm 

sboots wrote:
For your Internet issue on her PC, go to the Dell Support site on your PC and download the drivers for the Ethernet and WiFi to a flash drive. (There should be a "support tag" bar code on her PC that you put in to go to her specific model.) Then plug that flash drive into her PC and install the drivers. That should allow you to set up the WiFi connection and prepare it for her plugged in connection.

Thanks Steve! :) Since I build my own systems I never tend to think about the 'support tag' on big box systems.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I found the problem. Since that computer had always been connected via Ethernet cable, it did not have any wireless adapter. I had an old one laying around, so I am now connected. Too often I overlook the obvious, lol.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Well, I found the problem. Since that computer had always been connected via Ethernet cable, it did not have any wireless adapter. I had an old one laying around, so I am now connected. Too often I overlook the obvious, lol.

Still make sure there are no unknown devices in Device Manager but I'm sure that you are already on top of that.

For the rare times that I work directly on a system anymore I have a 12 foot Ethernet cable and an open port on my router. I just plug in the cable for connection.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:

Excellent!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 am 
welcoming committee

Its actual good that you had no connection during the install, that way you can install with a local account instead of having to use a Microsoft one.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:55 am 

dvair wrote:
Its actual good that you had no connection during the install, that way you can install with a local account instead of having to use a Microsoft one.

I agree. :) I prefer a local account myself. For any that don't know a 'local account' is isolated to only the system Windows 10 is installed. If Internet is available during the install it will want to set up with a Microsoft account. Doing with a Microsoft account is normally OK but, I think, has issues. Just take a desktop background image... Change the image on one system and it will change on all. This can be turned off but there are hoops to go through.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:06 am 
welcoming committee

Yes, I observed the advantage of not having internet during the install. I didn't have to open a Microsoft account and I was never asked for the Windows registration number.

Things went smoothly the remainder of the day. I got most of the software installed, including LibreOffice, Paint.net, Malwarebytes, XnView, etc.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Yes, I observed the advantage of not having internet during the install. I didn't have to open a Microsoft account and I was never asked for the Windows registration number.

And I would assume that activation went without issue with you still not entering a code. With Windows 10 just about any system, that the hardware had Windows 10 previously, will automatically activate as the license is digital.

If you don't feel like a lot of reading ignore the below text. The following is not really important to this topic but contains info that MAY be of interest.

Can't say that I've researched enough to understand the algorithm used by Microsoft as to how this is actually detected but it is. If I'm not mistaken pretty much every component in a system has a unique identifier including the CPU, mother board, video card, etc.. Somehow they take all these identifiers and come up with a registered code for the system. This is put in a Microsoft activation server database. Even if doing, as you did, a clean install on new hard drive, all the separate component's unique identifiers still match an entry in the activation server's database resulting in a successful activation with a key code never being entered. Actually, from some things I've read, Windows 10 is also different as to the trial period on a system that has it installed clean with no digital license involved. Previous versions of Windows would stop fully working after a period of time; Windows 10, apparently, will not. It will make you go through some hoops if not activated but nothing major as it is stuff like changing a desktop wallpaper and other personalization features. Please keep in mind that this is just what I've read. I don't have a system that has never had Windows 10 so I can't test.

Even with all the above said it is still easy to activate Windows 10 without a Windows 10 key code and Microsoft HAS to be aware of this making it, in my thoughts, an intentional loophole associated to when Windows 10 first came out and you could update for free from Windows 7 forward. Just do a clean install of Windows 10 with the system disconnected from the internet. Once Windows 10 is installed connect your internet again. Now just go to Activation and choose to enter a key code. Enter any Windows 7, or later, code and it will work just fine and activate. I HAVE tried this in a virtual machine and it works but but I don't think that you could activate a Windows 10 Pro install with a Windows 7 Home code. I THINK that it would have to be a Windows 7 Ultimate code.

A lot of what I've said may seem on the shady side but I truly believe that it is an intentional loop hole intentionally set up by Microsoft. They don't care about income from Windows 10 licensing to a large extent; Heck, they gave it away for a year. They just want to have as many people as possible using Windows 10 so they can make their money through subscription software such as Microsoft 365 (Office).

Sorry! I had no intention of this post becoming so long but ended up feeling that some of the info stated might be of help to someone.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just do a clean install of Windows 10 with the system disconnected from the internet. Once Windows 10 is installed connect your internet again. Now just go to Activation and choose to enter a key code. Enter any Windows 7, or later, code and it will work just fine and activate. I HAVE tried this in a virtual machine and it works but but I don't think that you could activate a Windows 10 Pro install with a Windows 7 Home code. I THINK that it would have to be a Windows 7 Ultimate code.

That's exactly what happened to me....I completed the installation of Win 10 Home without needing an activation code. However, the next time I started the computer after I had connected to the internet (using an old wifi adapter that I had), it said I had to activate. So I looked on the top of her tower and got the Win 7 Home code that originally came with the computer. And that worked just fine.

I have now finished this project, at least as far as I can go without hooking everything up at her house. That's what I will be doing in the morning. Fingers crossed. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 pm 

Good luck on finishing things off but I think you have it nailed. :)

I don't work on many systems directly anymore but keep a 12 foot Ethernet cable around for when I do. Just connect the system to my router with the cable and I don't have to worry about wireless. Not always true but I have found, in most cases, that a wired connection just needs plugged in and Windows will pick it up. Wireless tends to more often need drivers installed. I will still install the wireless but going wired tends to get me connected right away allowing me to, then, install drivers as needed.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 am 
welcoming committee

My router was two rooms away from where I was working on her computer (about 30'). Most of the computers I work on have a wireless adapter, and I was surprised that her's didn't. But I had an old one laying around, so it all worked out.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Things finished off well. I delivered my friend's computer back to her this morning and everything worked as expected. She was very pleased. I mentioned to her that I got a little help from the talented members of Computer Haven, so thanks to you all. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:01 pm 

YW. :) Glad that things went well.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Excellent! I love when things turn out well. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware