Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:09 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have 2 Logitech mice attached to my main system through a single unifying dongle that can handle up to 6 devices and all normally works fine. The issue is that randomly a single left click will act like a double click. This SEEMS more prevalent in games but would normally be seen as more noticeable in a game although I have seen cases where trying to move or copy a group of files using ctrl or shift it won't pick up the shift or ctrl key to allow selecting multiple files resulting in just one file being selected. The keyboard is also attached via the same unifying dongle.

I have removed all Logitech software and replaced with the latest versions including Set Point, Options and the Unifying software and still have the issue. The mouse issue persists regardless of which attached mouse I use; normally only one mouse is turned on.

I have to wonder if the unifying dongle might be at fault but really have no idea. Any thoughts?

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm guessing the dongle, too. I was going to suggest a physical problem with the mouse, until I read more and you said it happens on both mice -- making that unlikely. The click is an electrical signal, so it seems likely that the dongle is occasionally mishandling that signal.

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:31 pm 

Well, I pulled the mouse, keyboard and dongle from my laptop to test on my main and it seems better. Just been a really short test so far so we shall see. If the issue is truly gone I'll have to decide whether to replace the entire package or just replace the dongle. Yes, you can buy a unifying dongle separately. Since the mouse and keyboard are only three years old and cost me $66.99 I will probably just try replacing the dongle for $17.00... ;)

Since I have a spare mouse and keyboard around here somewhere that I could attach to the laptop I may just see if I get used to the one from the laptop and keep things as they are.

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:22 pm 

Well go figure! ;) It seems that the mouse/keyboard I switched to also uses a unified dongle so I'm back to 2 mice (very minor point -- pun intended).

Actually I'm going to test again with the original dongle and the different keyboard as I remembered that the original keyboard took some damage a while back to where I had to plug some keys back in. One of those cases where I dropped it and tried to catch sending against the wall. :rofl2:

Considering the fact that I was also having periodic issues with using shift and ctrl to select multiple files it is not impossible that the keyboard was the actual cause of the issue.

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm..... ;-)

Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:01 pm 

sboots wrote:
Hmmm..... ;-)

Hmmm is right. ;)

Now I just need to sort things out as to which dongle is which! :rofl2: I've been working with 4 different dongles and only know for sure that the one in use in unified and another also is unified. I think that I know the other unified dongle but easy enough to discover anyway.

Right now, with a unified dongle and two mice and a different keyboard attached, I am seeing no issue. I need to proof with the other unified dongle then with the original keyboard to proof everything out but I now think the original keyboard may have been the actual issue.

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:02 am 
welcoming committee

I wonder about a man who can't keep his dongles straight. :mrgreen:

Seriously, my Logitech wireless mouse (Model M310) occasionally does the same thing as you describe...double click action on a single click. I just figured it was the spastic nature of my hand.

I also use a lighted Logitech keyboard (Model k740), but I never have any problems with it.

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:13 pm 

BB, mine is a K350 but doesn't have lights. The one I'm now using is a K520. Overall it is smaller than the K350 and not ergonomic but the keys are the same size. I think I'll get used to easily enough. ;) I actually damaged the K350 about a year and a half ago but things just recently started getting weird.

Here is the K350:
https://www.newegg.com/p/2VS-0008-001H4

Here is the K520:
https://www.newegg.com/logitech-mk530-920-008002-rf-wireless/p/N82E16823126474

They both have the same mouse with 7 buttons that can be globally set as to functions along with app specific settings.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:26 am 

While I have not connected the original keyboard again I did go back to the original unified dongle without the issue returning. This would indicate that the keyboard was the issue. When the keyboard hit the wall it may have cracked a circuit board and it just took a long time before the crack developed into a problem.

I have also found that I kind of like the smaller keyboard I'm now using as I sit on my couch with the mouse and keyboard on my coffee table. The smaller keyboard gives me more room. The smaller keyboard does not have all the special function keys that the original had but I never used the keys anyway. ;)

All in all I consider the issue solved and done. :)

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Well done, Jay. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, as I mentioned a few posts above, periodically my wireless Logitech 310 mouse also did the double click action on a single click. And recently the situation appears to be getting a little worse. I use only the single dongle that came with the mouse.

Did you ever figure out what the problem and remedy were, or did your issue just go away?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, as I mentioned a few posts above, periodically my wireless Logitech 310 mouse also did the double click action on a single click. And recently the situation appears to be getting a little worse. I use only the single dongle that came with the mouse.

Did you ever figure out what the problem and remedy were, or did your issue just go away?

I happened to have a second mouse that used the same unified dongle and switched. Still, I think, the actual problem was with the keyboard which I bounced off the wall after dropping and trying to catch. After switching keyboards the problem went away.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I cleaned my old mouse, put in fresh batteries, etc. and the double clicking problem continued. Since the mouse was about 5 years old, I splurged and purchased an identical mouse. Problem solved and the new mouse just feels better with the buttons and the wheel. Now a happy camper......

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:01 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, I cleaned my old mouse, put in fresh batteries, etc. and the double clicking problem continued. Since the mouse was about 5 years old, I splurged and purchased an identical mouse. Problem solved and the new mouse just feels better with the buttons and the wheel. Now a happy camper......

Glad to hear. :)

One must always remember that a mouse, just like a hard drive, is just another electronic device. It is never if it will fail but when. Any and all electronic devices WILL fail.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:29 pm 
welcoming committee

You reckon that may be why I splurged $25 and bought a new mouse? :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:42 pm 

bbarry wrote:
You reckon that may be why I splurged $25 and bought a new mouse? :mrgreen:

Actually I would ave spent a bit more an gotten a mouse with a unified dongle. This would allow you to connect up to 6 qualified devices through a single dongle.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 pm 
welcoming committee

(1) I like the feel of the M310 mouse....I have one sitting at all three of my computers
(2) To my knowledge the M310 does not come with a unifying dongle
(3) A unifying dongle would have cost me another approx $12
(4) I don't use but two devices at each computer....a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard
(5) All three of my keyboards are Logitech illuminated because I need the light...they don't use a dongle

So that's why I didn't spend a bit more........what did I miss?

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware