Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Should I update BIOS?
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:05 pm 
welcoming committee

As you know, I am in the process of setting up my sister's new Dell Inspiron desktop computer. It came with a Dell utility called 'Support Assist' that checks for driver updates, cleaning files, performance tuning, etc.

When I ran that utility, all was well with the exception of driver updates. In order to address Intel security advisories, it stated that I needed to update drivers for :
- The Dell 3670 System BIOS
- The Intel Management Engine Component Scheduler

I don't normally update firmware, but is this something I should now do?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I used to say to leave the BIOS alone but no longer. I assume it has a UEFI BIOS.

Updating the BIOS used to be a little risky but not really any longer. If I go to the BIOS on my main system it will even do an update all on its own even connecting to the Internet to check for and download an update. Update or not as you wish. Keep in mind that a BIOS update can correct flaws and improve performance.

Keep in mind that Intel security advisories are an Intel feature, not a Windows thing.

Personally I tend to run an update service once then remove the thing. While they sound like a good thing they tend to be resource hogs and often track you and call home. When you run the app you are probably just bringing up the interface while the updater runs all the time in the background. Since Support Assist isn't strictly an updater it may be different but it is just my policy to remove anything Dell (or HP on an HP) that isn't actually needed.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the quick response, Jay. I will do the updates and then take a look at removing the Dell utility. I will at least hide it from my Sister so she won't play with it, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:48 pm 
welcoming committee

P.S. Dell said they would create a Restore Point before doing the updates, but I don't totally trust them so I created my own before I started.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:37 pm 

bbarry wrote:
P.S. Dell said they would create a Restore Point before doing the updates, but I don't totally trust them so I created my own before I started.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

If you leave Support Assist installed I'd use Task Manager to disable the process or service called 'SupportAssist'. If you don't it will always be running in the background.

I did a bit of a search and found some cases where a Dell BIOS update caused some issues but that was around two years ago. I would figure that issues have been solved as I didn't see anything recent.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 pm 
welcoming committee

The updates completed and all is well. Good suggestion on the disable....that way it's always there if I need it. And it does appear to be a good way to update drivers, which I'm not really good at doing often enough.

Do you use any utility that is good for checking on any/all needed driver updates?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Do you use any utility that is good for checking on any/all needed driver updates?

My video card updates itself. If I'm in my BIOS for such things as changing my boot order back to my main system drive after a clone I'll check for an update for the BIOS but that's about it. If I didn't run some graphics intense games I probably would not bother with video card updates. Most of the video card updates deal with optimizing for specific games.

Since my audio is channeled through HDMI on my video card I don't bother with audio updates and my wireless and wired network adapters are fine so I don't bother. I pretty much stick with my old school concept of not fixing what isn't broken. ;)

I don't use any update utilities so can't really advise. I will suggest, if you choose to use one, to do your research. Most I've seen are going to run all the time in the background and send info back home.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware