Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: New Blu-ray burner
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I already have a Blu-ray burner but it can only write to 25 GB disks. I decided to grit my teeth and spend some money. ;) A large part of my having such a burner is for a backup of installs. I know that this could be done with DVDs but just one group of game installs is over 20 GB.

Went with an Asus due to really good reviews. It will handle up to 125 GB disks and includes a UHD software register code.
https://www.newegg.com/p/0Y6-000J-00017?Item=9SIAG1H7UZ2651

I'll follow up with results. :) Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: New Blu-ray burner
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am 
welcoming committee

Good luck Jay!

I just bought the same drive. I'm going to install it today. This drive can be adjusted to work with AnyDVD software and allow me to rip copies of my 4K disks to my HDDs. My Pioneer BDR-212UBK won't do this. The Pioneer does play 4K disks quite well. It produces a very clear crisp picture. I'll post an update after I try this.

Jay you might want to look into this. I may have received an Amazon bonus when I ordered. I received what's in my posted picture.
ASUS BW-16D1HT at Amazon

Attachments:
File comment: This is what I received for my order. Monopoly bank error in my favor. LoL
ASUS player.jpg
ASUS player.jpg [ 139.9 KiB | Viewed 3091 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 pm 

Looks like I paid a lot more than you. Does yours include a UHD software registration code? That might be the price difference. This apparently is not part of the actual package but supplied directly from New Egg.

Not sure what you mean by 'Amazon bonus'. Wouldn't affect me anyway as I bought through New Egg.

Make sure that your firmware is 3.0 or you won't have full usage of "Friendly" functions, whatever that actually means. New Egg does the firmware update before they ship.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:34 pm 
welcoming committee

By Amazon bonus I meant maybe they grabbed the wrong one. I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. When I do I will look for the features you mentioned. Definitely want it to be a friendly player.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:53 pm 

Nearest that I can find the "Friendly" functions deals with the UHD operation. Here is a quote from ClonerAlliance, the actual seller of the drive I ordered.
ClonerAlliance wrote:
Have you ever thought that it would be great if I could have a UHD friendly drive to handle my needs on UHD Blu-rays? You can do it now! Our programmers make it possible through a lot of efforts, the updated firmware version 3.0 is definitely user-friendly and enables you to do a lot of things on UHD Blu-rays at ease, just plug and play. Reading&Burning UHD Blu-rays is easier than ever!

I had Amazon send the wrong item once and it worked to my advantage. It was an indoor grill/rotisserie. They sent a newer, more expensive, model than what I ordered.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Same thing just different item numbers and prices. From different sellers no doubt.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:11 pm 

dvair wrote:
Same thing just different item numbers and prices. From different sellers no doubt.

Yes, they seem to be the same item, model number on the boxes even match. I think the price difference MAY be the UHD software license that is included with mine.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:59 pm 

Just went through a chat with New Egg as to the code that was supposed to be included with the drive purchase for the UHD software. The software seems to be for authoring UHD disks but I can't confirm that totally until I have the drive installed.

New Egg live chat support was very helpful as to getting me in touch with the actual seller. LOL! New Egg actually sent the seller an email demanding that they honor the code for the software. Two hours later I got an email from the seller with the needed key code.

Over all I think I over spent for the drive as there is free software out there to author disks. Of course I won't know for fact until I try out the UHD software. Regardless the seller and New Egg combined to fully honor the seller's commitment. I cannot offer a complaint.

As a side note I noticed something in product reviews that has me curious. With just about all I looked it was stated in reviews that the drives are loud when mounting a disk. I wonder why that is...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:27 pm 

The new drive arrived today but I haven't mounted it yet. I need to get a small tipped, magnetic, screw driver to lock down an M.2 SSD that didn't come with a mounting screw. Need the screwdriver to reach without having to remove my video card and CPU cooler. I figure that it makes more sense to wait till I get the screwdriver and do both at the same time.

I have tried the included software, DVD Cloner,on my current drive converting a 42.2GB Aquaman Blu-ray to an MKV file and it works quite well. Playing the Blu-ray on one screen and the MKV file on another I could not tell the difference.

This software is different than others I've used in some ways.
1) It will convert a Blu-ray to MKV while keeping the high def audio.
2) It will convert to MKV using the highest quality encoding, H265.
3) One of the simplest interfaces I've seen.
4) You can combine multiple DVD and/or Blu-ray disks to one output disk with an automatically generated menu. I could probably put all the Star Trek movies on one Blu-ray disk.

Converting to an MKV using H265 and keeping the high def audio was my test. I forget the time it took but it was over an hour. The resulting MKV file was huge, 17+GB. I expected a large file as the option selection gives an approximate output size of 12GB. There are many levels of conversion. Converting to an MKV with about DVD quality will result in an estimated 2-5GB file using H264 depending on if the high def audio is kept or not.

The drive will also handle M-Diskand 128GB quad layer BD-XL disks.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm 

All done, all good. :)

I didn't bother with the magnetic screwdriver for locking down the M.2 drives. I just used a small amount of mounting putty on the heads of the screws and it went fine. I have to laugh at myself though. I couldn't get the screw to start on the first drive until I remembered that I had them taped down and the tape was covering the mounting hole. :oops: :fun84:

New drive seems to be working fine. I burnt 25.5GB of data files in ~45 minutes and the disk is good. 45 minutes may seem long but one must consider that 25.5GB equates to ~5.5 DVDs. That equates to ~8 minutes per DVD.

Not really sure why the original drive would not burn a Blu-ray but think that I may have misunderstood when purchased. I forgot to order a DVD burner when I built my main system and decided to see what a local shop had before ordering one on-line and waiting. They were in the process of building a gaming rig for a customer and he changed his mind on the optical drive he wanted. The drive had only been used to install Windows and they sold me the drive for $54.00; it was something like $129.00 new so I bought it. Since it would burn a DVD just fine but would open the tray asking for a burnable disk when I tried to burn a Blu-ray I think it MIGHT actually be a DVD burner but just a Blu-ray reader. I know it wasn't bad Blu-ray blanks as the successful burn with the new drive was with one of the blanks that would not work with the old drive.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:10 pm 

OK... I know that I'm boring everyone and promise that this post closes the thread unless someone responds. :!:

Using the same Aquaman Blu-ray I tested DVD Cloner as to copying to another Blu-ray disk. This is a LONG process but it must be remembered that we are talking many GB of data. This was also a test of the new Blu-ray drive and the DVD Cloner software.

Test conditions:
1) Source Blu-ray is 44.2GB in size.
2) Output is to a 50GB blank 6X Blu-ray disk.
3) Only burning the main movie, not all the menus and previews.

Results:
1) Reading the 44.2 Blu-ray disk took 45 minutes.
2) Writing the new Blu-ray disk took 65 minutes.
3: Verification of the written data took 35 minutes.
4) Output Blu-ray size is 33.3GB.
5) Total time of the process was 145 minutes.

Sadly I have no real reference as to if the above stats are good or bad. To me, considering the amount of data, the times do not seem too bad in my opinion. Shoot, if I turned off the verification of data, the process would have been 110 minutes.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware