Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Possible system rebuild
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:22 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Not sure if I will as it runs well enough but I'm considering rebuilding my second desktop system. The main thing is that it is old enough to just have SATA2 drive connections instead of SATA3. It also has no M.2 SSD ports.

I just don't keep up with hardware like I used to and am not really sure anymore who is making what best as to motherboards. Here is a list in order of my motherboard preferences. Is it still current? I know that some will question my listing ASRock first but I like their boards.
ASRock
Asus
Gigabit
MSI

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Those are all have excellent boards Jay, You will, I think, have your biggest problem in choosing a CPU. After that you can choose a board.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:26 pm 

Unless I see a good sale offer for an I7 I'd go with AMD as to the CPU. Just more bang for the buck with AMD. I would not go as extreme as my AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core/16 thread (sigh, already obsolete) that is in my main system but would still lean in the direction of AMD. Mayhaps, if I saw a good deal, I might go Ryzen 5 but would not even consider an Intel I5.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 pm 
welcoming committee

My last board was an MSI, I have always liked them. When I was working at a CTEC all the systems (over 200) were MSI boards and I rarely had an issue with them. I've used EVGA for a couple of builds too.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:27 pm 

I haven't actually used an MSI board for a long time but when I did it performed very well. :)

As a note I'll add one thing as to why I tend to like ASRock. The ASRock board in my main system has 10 SATA3 ports. What I like is that the SATA ports are not spread all over the board which is common. All ten ports are in a double bank of 5 ports along one side of the board. OK, second thing. The ASRock boards tend to be quite large. Some may think that would be bad but it makes things SO easy to get at...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:03 pm 
welcoming committee

How about a Ryzen 9 3900 X. Seems like a good deal at this time.
As for an obsolete CPU chip, they are obsolete before they hit the market place.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 pm 

BillG wrote:
How about a Ryzen 9 3900 X. Seems like a good deal at this time.

Mayhaps if I were rebuilding my main system Bill but not to bring up my second system to SATA3. The second system is in my bedroom and mostly just used to sync data and media from my main system as a backup. Other than that it is pretty much just for watching a movie now and then in my bedroom. Even as it is, with SATA2, it does the job fine. It is just that my data/media syncs along with system images would be quicker. This is why I'm just considering doing this and it is not a fact that I will. Actually I'd be happy to find a SATA3 motherboard that would hold the old AMD CPU which I'm sure that I probably can. I mean I have 13 TB worth of SATA3 drives in the thing running at SATA2...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 pm 

Just thought that I'd close this out. I decided to not do the rebuild, at least not now. Ya, the system is only SATA2 but that is quite good enough to watch a movie now and then in bed. How often have I stated to not fix what isn't broken? This is one of those cases. The thing just works without issue except that I have to restart about every five days or things get weird.

I just can't see a good reason to upgrade a system that does its job just fine as an occasional movie viewer and backup for my media and data drives sourced from my main system.

When it can't handle a Windows 10 feature upgrade I will consider this again but, as I said, it makes no real sense to fix what isn't broken. I just have a bad habit of always wanting the latest and greatest. If I aloowed myself to actually try to gain that impossible goal I'd be building a new system every six months if not more often. :geek: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 am 
welcoming committee

I think we all like to have the latest and greatest. But, sometimes it just makes more sense to keep what we have that is doing what it is intended to do.
(I would like to upgrade my video cards but I am just being cheap and do not want to spend the money-even though we have sold my wife's car(she can no longer drive) and will soon have a small bundle of "extra" cash)
I think the handrail on the main door makes a more sensible purchase.

William A. Gustafson

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware