Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Got me a free printer :)
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:53 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Someone left an HP Officejet Pro 6968 printer on a table in the lobby of my apartments with a 'free' sign on it.
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-6968-all-in-one-printer

Since I don't need a printer I left it for a few days. No one took it so I figured what the heck and decided to take a look.

I download drivers and software and installed; everything seems to work. The print quality is terrible but looks like partially dry cartridges. I mean all four cartridges show as empty so it is printing on fumes.

Being a four cartridge printer it isn't going to match my six cartridge Canon printer for photos but could become permanently attached to my system if replacing the ink cartridges fixes the output as I suspect that it will. On Amazon a full set of high capacity cartridges will cost me $26.00. I think it is worth the chance.

It does have a couple of features that my Canon does not. It has a full duplex (2-sided) 35 sheet document reader. It also has a 250 sheet paper tray where my Canon is only 100. It also has fax but I didn't even bother setting that up.

We'll have to see how things are after I get ink but, if everything is OK, I can see this being my plain document printer keeping my Canon more for photos. LOL! The only problem would be where to put the thing. It is a LOT bigger than my Canon. This is mainly due to the document reader. Actually I could do another setup as wireless, or wireless network, and put the thing anywhere.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

free is good. :-D

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:14 pm 

sboots wrote:
free is good. :-D

LOL! We'll see... Since I need to buy ink and a power cord it isn't really free. I'll just buy the ink first to test as my Canon power cord works fine with the thing. ;)

This is one of the weirdest products that I've seen as to customer reviews. Go to one review site and it gets 1.1 out of 5 stars. Go to another and it gets 4.7 stars.

A LOT of the negative reviews I've seen relate to failing print quality and most of those state that the printer is seldom used. I suspect that this MAY be due to ink drying on the print head. This would not be a factor with me as I actually have a Word file that contains some text for black and two color cubes for color. If I haven't used the printer in a week or two I always print this file just to keep the print head from building up dry ink.

Like I said we shall see what happens. The cost to see if the thing is usable is minimal and it is a new toy to play with. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I agree with Steve.....free is good, even at twice the price.

Jay, for $26 I assume you are getting re-manufactured cartridges.....let me know how those work, because they are certainly cheaper that the HP ones. They seem to have a good user rating.

I have an HP LaserJet and an HP OfficeJet, both with the full-duplex capability.....I really like and often use this feature. It certainly saves on paper, plus 3-ring notebook space if you are printing stuff to save.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:36 pm 

I've been using re-done ink cartridges for quite a while. I have not seen a problem.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I've been using re-done ink cartridges for quite a while. I have not seen a problem.

Some HP printers are quirky and won't let you use non-HP cartridges, or at least they use to be. Perhaps the re-manufactures have circumvented that problem.

Just like in my Keurig coffee pot.....some off-brand K-cups just won't work.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 pm 

You would want to check to see if the re-done cartridges are stated to be using the latest HP chip format. If they are it should be OK.

Another reason that I actually prefer Canon. They don't do this chip garbage. I really don't see how HP gets away with it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

I got rid of HP Ink Jets (years back) due to the nozzle clogging issue -- with HP ink -- if the printer wasn't used enough. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 pm 

sboots wrote:
I got rid of HP Ink Jets (years back) due to the nozzle clogging issue -- with HP ink -- if the printer wasn't used enough. ;-)

I hear you Steve and I am not a big fan of HP. Still I DO have an old HP ink jet that did me well when my old Canon printer died. The ink cartridges were quite old but still fine.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:12 am 

I kind of wonder about something Steve. You mentioned nozzle clogging issues as to why you quit HP printers...

On many HP models they offer an 'Instant Ink Plan'. What this means is that the printer reports ink levels to HP and they send new ink cartridges for free as needed ( the supplied cartridges are actually at no charge ). The thing is that this costs a monthly fee priced according to how many pages you will print each month. The printer I got qualifies for this.

Now consider what you said about nozzle clogs and the fact that the main review complaint was that you constantly had to do nozzle cleaning and/or print head alignment. Now let's keep in mind that these pages printed for the cleaning and/or alignments count in relation to your monthly printed page allotment. If you go over your page allotment the additional charge per page is pretty high, at least 10 cents per additional printed page.

Say I still had my computer business and took the top plan at $9.99/month allowing 300 printed pages. When my business was flowing I'd print more like 1000 pages per month with invoices and instructions. Now let's see... $9.99/month for the best plan but I'm 700 pages over the limit. This would mean that I owe an additional $35.00 for the month totaling $44.99 a month. Now let's consider that, now and then, I'd print a thousand advertisement fliers. On those months we would have to add an additional fee of $50.00. On the months that I did fliers I just paid $94.99. I could buy two sets of cartridges for that price... Actually, using generic ink, I could buy 3.65 sets of cartridges.

Now let's be fair... since printing a photo, which takes a LOT more ink, the page counts just like a B&W text page. For some this plan could actually work but, for the most part, it seems like a ripoff to me.

Now let's go back to the often needed nozzle cleaning and print head alignments. Could this not be planned to increase the number of printed pages per month if you are on an Instant Ink plan? Remember that these maintenance prints count as pages on your monthly allotment.

Something about this whole Instant Ink plan just does not hit right with me. The more I look at this the more happy I am that I like Canon. :mrgreen: Just for grins let's say that I matched the recommended max work load for the printer I got at 20,000 pages per month. The best plan at $9,99/month covers 300 pages which leaves 19,700 pages to cover. I just paid HP $994.99 to print the pages for the month. Buying ink outright the same printing would cost me a bit over $585.00. Just seems like a ripoff to me even though, with what I currently print, might work for me at times but not really. If I go in to photo print mode it would work but it is often that I print nothing in a month yet I would still have to pay the monthly charge. I would not touch this 'Instant Ink' plan with a ten foot pole even if wearing rubber gloves.

Kind of sorta sorry for the rant but not really. From what I've looked at this whole 'Instant Ink' thing is a con job if you actually use your printer more than just once in a while.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:56 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I had to get out my Algebra primer to follow your calculations, but you were spot on. Personally I like HP printers, and I've never had any problem with my three (my LaserJet is about 15 years old). If you watch for sales, they can be purchased on the cheap. HP makes their money on the ink.

If the re-manufactured cartridges work for you, that's the way to go. I may try those next myself, on my OfficeJet.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 am 

I've always tended to go with Epson printers, never really had much trouble with them and we've now moved over to the Eco Tank system.

I get emails from Epson and my previous printer was part of a program where you got sent ink when yours was running out. It's not something I looked into as I don't do enough printing to have a regular supply sent out plus I've always used replacement inks for our printers so I'm not going to start using the manufacturer's inks.

I'd heard that is where the printer manufacturers make their money, the ink the machines use, making out you won't get the results you expect if you don't.

I've always had very good results with the ink I've used on all my printers.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:57 am 
Site Admin

I have a Canon ink-jet multi-function printer. It doesn't see a whole lot of use, but it works every time. My primary printer is a Brother B&W laser printer. I've had it for quite a few years and am still on the 2nd cartridge -- I think it needs replacement soon. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:43 pm 

I've never had a Brother printer but have had Canon, HP and Epson. The first inkjet I got was an HP that was just a printer, not 3-in-1. LOL! I've always said that HP makes good printers but terrible computers. :mrgreen: I was VERY happy with the first HP printer.

This may bring back memories. My first printer was a dot matrix that used fan-fold paper. It was an FX-80 and built by, I think, Epson. The thing was indestructible!

Anyway I just ordered ink for this HP Officejet Pro 6968 printer. I ordered from the same Amazon outfit, Jarbo, that I have cartridges waiting to try on my newer Canon. It is costing me ~$30.00 for the four cartridges. Since these are rebuilt cartridges I hope that the printer has not had a firmware update. From what I searched the main firmware update for this printer was to prevent it being able to use rebuilt cartridges. I don't understand how HP can actually get away with that. I'm sure that it is probably in their EULA.

If the new cartridges don't fix the print issues I'll pull the print head and clean. If that fails I'll ditch the thing and be out $30.00. Heck, I don't even need this printer. It just has a couple of features that I like.

Since I no longer do Amazon Prime it will be 1-2 weeks before I receive the ink. I'll let you know what happens. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:11 am 

We've only ever had 1 Brother printer and that was a Laser one but it only printed in black and hubby had that but it was years ago. It needed a new toner and at the time they were quite expensive and we couldn't afford one at the time so he let that go.

I'd got an Epson basic printer at the time so he got one and we've more or less stuck with Epson ever since. Still got the scanner we used because at that time 3 in 1s weren't around, or if they were not affordable to the home user.

Eventually we got them, not sure if it was before broadband or after, but it was great when we only needed 1 and we could share because we'd got broadband and wireless.

Hubby did get himself a Canon a couple of years ago but that was more expensive with ink as you had to buy a cartridge for black and another for colour even if only 1 of the colours had gone whereas with the Epson they were all separate so you only needed to change 1 at a time.

We've now moved on to ditching the cartridges and using the new Eco Tank system printer and so far are very pleased with it.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm 

Joan, when I got my current Canon 6 cartridge I was really interested in the ECO Tank type which is also offered by Canon. I just ended up going with the 6 cartridge Canon as reviews kept saying that the ECO Tank printers in my price range lacked in photo quality. I know photo printing is not a big deal to you but it is to me.

I won't get the ink for the HP for about 9-10 days as I no longer do Prime on Amazon but still picked free shipping. LOL! I don't even really know why I'm going through hoops with this unit as I don't need the thing. I think the full duplex scanning and document feeder intrigues me. Actually, if truth be told, I probably just took it on as a project. ;) Shoot, even if it prints fine with the new cartridges I'll still need to spend another ~$8.50 for a power cord. Currently, when testing, I'm using the power cord from my Canon which is compatible. Somehow I have a hunch that, even if I can't get it printing right, I may end up re-installing it as wireless and use just the document feeder and full duplex scanner. Oh, the document feeder is also full duplex. Going wireless I can put the thing anywhere. Even if it prints OK it still is too large to fit near my other electronics unless I removed my Canon which won't happen. Enter a large square end table with an empty bottom shelf... :mrgreen:

Hey, feeling a bit bored lately and needed a project. ;) If replacing the cartridges and doing a cleaning does not work I may even try removing the print head and cleaning by hand. Never removed a print head before. It would be something new. :)

I think I mentioned this before but full duplex equates to 2 sided.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 am 

Good luck with the project, I wouldn't know where to start removing the print head.

In some things I've printed full duplex would have been useful but it's not something that is a big deal. I agree I'm not into photo printing, most of mine is account printing, which is mainly just black, I also print craft patterns which do have pictures but that's mainly to show what the item looks like so doesn't have to be top quality.

As long as the printer is wireless enabled I'm happy as I mainly do most printing from my laptop and the printer is at the other end of the bungalow connected to the desktop, although that's where the account work gets done.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:42 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
This may bring back memories. My first printer was a dot matrix that used fan-fold paper. It was an FX-80 and built by, I think, Epson. The thing was indestructible!

Was that a wide carriage? I used cases and cases of green bar paper and I had to replace the print head when mine caught a bit of the crease and folded the pins. I had one job I did that took 16 hours to print, and that was off the 2 floppy drives and a 5MB HD of the system.
One shop I worked in that bought a lot of used equipment from the state, used to take the print heads out and sell them as they did not weigh anything like the whole printer to ship.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 am 
Site Admin

I remember the FX-80! No, Bill, this was the 80 column version. I can't remember the wide carriage version model number.
My first printer was the IBM Graphics Printer that was similar to the Epson FX-80. Fan fold, pin feed paper... Memories!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:18 pm 

The wide carriage version of the FX-80 was probably the FX-86e. Believe it or not these printers are still available as refurbished. Check out the following link. The thing is so old it's yellow. :mrgreen: They are not cheap either!
https://www.pcliquidations.com/p77531-epson-fx-86e-monochrome?r160164167166161&msclkid=099b0714b71418a28dbc5a0a830eb5c7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CPCS_PCLiq-Shopping&utm_term=4581046482661104&utm_content=Products

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:15 pm 

That does look old. My printer sits on a table a friend who owned a computer shop gave me, it's got the split in the top that the continuous paper feeds through from the shelf underneath.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:34 pm 

JoanA wrote:
That does look old. My printer sits on a table a friend who owned a computer shop gave me, it's got the split in the top that the continuous paper feeds through from the shelf underneath.

Is this an old printer that takes fan-fold paper or a newer one that is able to use a roll?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:52 am 

jaylach wrote:
JoanA wrote:

Is this an old printer that takes fan-fold paper or a newer one that is able to use a roll?

Neither Jay, it's a new EcoTank printer just that the table it sits on is one that was for that kind of paper feed.

It sits at the side of my computer desk and means I don't have to have the printer taking up room on the desk.

Re-reading my post and it does make it look like it's for the printer I'm using now doesn't it, silly me. :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:48 pm 

JoanA wrote:
Good luck with the project, I wouldn't know where to start removing the print head.

Sorry Joan as I had meant to reply to this.

If I'm lucky the printer makes it easy to remove the print head just by flipping a lever. Some build of this model printer have this and some don't.

I would have to swap out the power cord from my Canon to check this as the print head is not movable on the HP unless power is applied and I don't want to cause damage by trying to force it to move. I just don't think it worth the effort to connect again until I have the new ink cartridges.

Even if the print head does not have the removal lever I have seen some reports where there has been success as to unclogging the print head by removing the cartridges and forcing hot water through the ports where the ink cartridges set. This is supposed to dissolve built up and dried ink from the head nozzles.

We will see what whe see. :)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:28 am 

Good luck with it Jay whatever you decide to do. ;-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware