Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: HDMI scaling question
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I run dual monitors; 42 inch HDTV as my main display and a 32 inch HDTV as the second. One device that I always keep updated to the latest drivers is my AMD Sapphire R9 380 series 4GB DDR5 Nitro video card.

While not an actual issue but I'm sort of curious as to something that happens every time I update the video drivers. BTW, I always do a clean install of the drivers. After the upgrade I will always have to re-adjust the HDMI scaling but just for the secondary display, never the main.

Any ideas as to why an update would mess with the scaling on just the secondary display? I just did an update and wish that I had not picked to do a clean install as I would be curious as to if the result is the same. I'm thinking that it MAY be possible that doing the clean install kills previous setting although I don't need to change anything other than the HDMI scaling after doing it clean.

For any that do not know what HDMI scaling happens to be it is just a control to make the display fit the screen. If I don't adjust the task bar on the second display is useless as almost all of it is actually off the bottom of the display.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:57 am 
welcoming committee

I do not know the answer to your problem but I do know that the scaling does not work properly on your web site. We recently had this problem on another newsgroup that I belong to and it was caused more by a change in code and then problems in Edge. Not all browsers have this problem.
So my question is: did you try different browsers? The scaling problem we has was mostly with pictures that were too large, they would then cause loss of word wrap so lines would be too long, but only in threads that had the pictures.

Or does your problem exist on everything you display on this monitor?

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:33 am 

Bill, what you state has no relation to what I am describing. HDMI scaling controls the size of the visual display in relation to the display device. In no sense has it anything to do with a browser. Setting an HDMI scaling control affects everything displayed.

HDMI scaling is very much like printing something from your printer that will not fit properly on the sheet of paper. You change the printer setting to 'fit to page' and all is well.

What you describe as to web sites is more likely due to the browser magnification settings. Edge seems to display larger than some other browsers. 125% magnification seems to equal about 300% in IE or FF. An author of a site can only do so much as to this regard. One can only look for a balance. In IE and/or FF this site displays fine up to, at least 400% magnification. One can only do so much from the author side.

Even though IE is obviously being phased out Edge still needs a lot of work to be a proper browser. While I have not researched I would guess that Microsoft has separated Edge from the W3C web guidelines. If that is the case it is not a good thing. At the same magnification that I usually use, 125%, Edge will display these forums at, at least, twice the size of either IE or FF. This is not likely the fault of the site code but, rather, a fault in the browser. Think Occam's razor. Since two browsers are fine, and one not, Occam's razor would indicate that it is the fault of the third browser as it is the simplest solution.

For those that do not know Occam's razor it is a principle that states that all things being equal as to input the simplest solution is usually correct. I could type pages on this but that is enough for the general principle. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 am 
welcoming committee

Got it Jay

P.S. Does HDMI scaling apply to TVs as well? Does it have anything to do with how different channels will fill different part of the TV screen? Even sometimes when a commercial will fill a different part of the screen than the show it is in?

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been doing so Binging and this apparently is by design for you on your AMD video. I can not seem to find anything about this problem on other manufacturers video cards.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:20 pm 

BillG wrote:
Got it Jay

P.S. Does HDMI scaling apply to TVs as well? Does it have anything to do with how different channels will fill different part of the TV screen? Even sometimes when a commercial will fill a different part of the screen than the show it is in?

Depends on the set Bill. What you describe could be either scaling or aspect ratio. BTW, scaling is sometimes called size.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware