Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Monitor question
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 am 
welcoming committee

Well I finally made up my mind and ordered a new desktop from Puget Systems, which means I'll be finally making the jump to Win10 in several days. (Sweet machine, three internal drives, all SSDs). I want to keep my old system around "just in case" so I bought a new monitor to use on it. I will stick with using my two old monitors in a dual display on my new machine. I had a problem when I tested the new monitor just to see if it was working and needed to be returned.

I removed one of my old monitors and attached the new one. The display was just fine. When using the two old monitors I had about half of my icons on each monitor. When I installed the new monitor all of the icons appeared on it, my old monitor was now void of all icons. Also, I could no longer move my cursor back and forth between the two monitors, it was stuck on the new one. I still had the old settings, Multiple displays: Extend these displays. Then when I opened up a document or almost anything, suddenly the cursor appeared on the old monitor that was empty. I could not get the cursor back to the new monitor, could not even get to the start button to turn off my computer, had to give it the hard kill holding in the power button, twice. Once I removed the new monitor and brought back the second old one everything returned to normal and worked fine.

Anyone have any idea why the new monitor was messing up my system when being used in conjunction with a second monitor?
Thanks, Acadia

Post subject: Re: Monitor question
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Very odd, but I'm suspecting that the new monitor was positioned relative to the other two in an unexpected way *and* that the replaced, yes, the one you didn't have connected, was still thought by Windows to be present -- or some variation of that.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What Steve said is quite possible making the system think that the new monitor was actually a third display.

The first thing to do would have been to use the "Detect" option in the Display properties to see what 'numbers' were shown on each monitor screen. If it showed either 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 the above thought is most likely. If it properly showed 1 and 2 then it is likely that you would have needed to disable the dual monitor setup and re-do.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 am 
welcoming committee

Ha, this was so simple it is pathetic. I did it all again to see if I could figure it out. Upon playing around with my cursor I discovered, I hope I can explain this to make sense, if I move the cursor off the screen IN THE OTHER DIRECTION away from the other monitor and in my case towards my wall, the cursor appears on the other screen on the wrong end. Boy, did this trigger a memory from 5 1/2 years ago, same situation, but what did I do?

If you go, this is Win7, into Screen Resolution, you come to a display of your two monitors. Bingo, a "dragging" hand appears on both monitors: YOU CAN MOVE THEM AROUND, THAT IS, CHANGE THEIR POSITIONS! Bingo, everything working now. (I may just keep this new monitor for my new system!)
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am 

Hehe! I bet you're glad it was that simple but I bet you felt a fool when you realised how simple it was to rectify.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using 10 when you get it Acadia, at least it sounds as if you'll have plenty of storage room having 3 internal drives, what size are they ? This new convertible laptop of mine has just 2, a 128 SSD and a 1TB hard drive.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Again this points to what Steve said. I've done this myself when I set up my current dual monitor setup. The default setup is monitor 1 on the left and 2 on the right. On my rig, as is surely the same with you, this is reversed. You found the proper cure by just dragging the monitors in display properties to put them in the proper order.

LOL! Be happy that you are not using HDTV's as your monitors via HDMI. Every time there is a driver update for my video card I have to re-adjust the HDMI scaling on the second monitor so the display fits properly. In my case the issue is caused by different sized screens one being 42 inch and the other 32 inch. Even though the screen resolution is correct on both screens the 32 inch has to be re-sized to properly fit. Resolution and screen size are actually different things when dealing with HDMI.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to read that the solution was simple. Actually, it isn't intuitive when hooking up an additional monitor. One needs to know that the positioning is variable in the settings when selecting how to extend the desktop. At the office pretty much everyone is using a laptop these days and has a monitor on their desk. Some people clone the display, some set the external monitor as the only display when connected, others use extended desktop. One member of my team, despite repeated instruction, still can't figure out how to adjust the monitor position for extended desktop -- he has the external as primary and the laptop screen as secondary, but Windows thinks that the laptop is to the right of the external display. I hate when I sit as his PC to demonstrate something to him on his PC. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware