Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 am 
welcoming committee

I use an external 2TB Transcend drive for backup of my Win 7 computer. The drive has two partitions - one for automated backups using Acronis 2017 and one for manual backups using Win 7 Backup/Restore. Last night the Acronis backup failed because it couldn't find the hard drive. Manual backup failed today for the same reason - couldn't find the hard drive.

When I go to Device Manager, it says the drive is working properly and that the driver is up to date. If I use Computer Management to explore this drive, I find that it is now 'unallocated'.

Needless to say, all my backup data on this drive is gone. I don't know whether to toss the drive or try to salvage it by again setting up partitions. I've never had this happen to me before with a drive...for it to suddenly go unallocated.

What else can I do to check the validity of this drive? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You could try re-partitioning but I don't know that I'd trust the drive. Go to the maker of the drive and see if there are diagnostic utilities.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Did you run any utilities on the drive such as Scandisk?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 pm 
welcoming committee

I didn't run any utilities on the external drive. I had been using the drive as a backup device for many months, and then all of a sudden I see the 'unallocated'. But I went ahead and repartitioned the drive and then used Acronis to perform a backup. The drive seems to be working just fine now.

But like Jay said, I'm not sure I totally trust the drive.....time will tell. But I also do backups to another drive.

Thanks Jay & Steve.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I would be inclined to suspect Acronis. Ironically owning 2016 2017 and 2018 of Acronis I took 8 off as it was a maker of BSOD's I just put 6 back on, and it's stable, but don't know if I am going to keep it. They just put too much garbage in that just isn't necessary and just is looking for trouble. After 6 it went down hill

Edit. I just noticed that with 6 they are using vulnerable processes. They had made it worse with 8. I am ripping it off all my systems and it's bye bye acronis

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware