Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:24 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a question to ask about my Zotac Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB Mini. I noticed that I have two different numbers that I have on my graphic card and the specifications of this graphic card from Zotac. As you know my operating system is Windows 10 Pro 64X with all updates to today's date and my desktop is HP Omen #870-119. You will see two links below to look at and start with my desktop specifications.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05241080

Now with second link about ZOTAC graphic card specifications.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphi ... -mini#spec

Now my question is about Engine Clocks with Base and Boost. I was surprised to see that mine are with Base: 607 MHz and Boost: 405 MHz. The specifications above show me that I should have with Base: 1303 Mhz and Boost: 1417 Mhz. Mine are very low compare to the specification of the same graphic card I have on my desktop.

I wonder if something is wrong with my graphic card or not a big deal about this. I just to wonder what is going on with those two numbers on my graphic card but find my card is working with no overheating. I am not really sure what else to look for with this. That is why I came here to ask for any reason about this.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
A couple of possibities...

1) I assume that you installed the most current drivers.
https://www.zotac.com/us/files/download ... ew+results

2) Just to be sure did you connect the secondary power cord from the power supply if required?

3) Did you get your system with the GeForce 960 or the integrated graphics? If integrated you can try seeing if it can be disabled in your BIOS. If not able in your BIOS you can disable in Device Manager if the integrated graphics shows. Disabling in the BIOS would be better.

4) The numbers don't make sense especially the base being higher than the boost. Have you contacted their support? It is possible that it is just a glitch in the firmware and the report is false.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 pm 
welcoming committee

First of all I used to have Geforce GTX 960 2GB that came with the desktop and I decided to upgrade the new graphic card. Earlier today I download the latest Nvidia driver with 388.13 and installed them. But still the same with the number that I got with Core and Boost. Yes I did contact ZOTAC support via email and believe that would be in United Kingdom. More likely will get a reply from them tomorrow morning. I agreed with you about the result of my graphic card. That graphic card doesn't have any power cords at all and recognized on the motherboard for graphic card slot. Will let you know what the support from ZOTAC have to say about this.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

Something that you could try while waiting for a support response.

First make sure that you installed the proper drivers as they are available for both 64 and 32 bit systems.
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphi ... i#download

Second re-install the drivers. I have never used NVidia based cards but I believe that the driver/software installer allows an option to do a clean install. Look for this option and use if available. It is possible that stuff left over from the 960 card could be causing issues.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 am 
welcoming committee

The problem is solved and I did re-install the drivers and this time from ZOTAC site not from Nvidia. And now look good with those two -- Base and Boost. Want to say thank you to Jay for your willing to help me with this.

John

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:13 am 

Yes, you always want to install drivers supplied by the actual card maker, not the chip maker. NVidia drivers are for a card actually made by NVidia. Zoltac drivers are for their cards. Even though they may both use the same base graphics chip does not mean that one set of drivers will work with the other card.

You are quite welcome. :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Hmmm, I'm not so sure downloading the drivers from the Zotac website was the difference, the link on the Zotac website actually directs the download to download the drivers from NVidia (the link below is the address the Zotac "button" downloads the driver from), it's more likely that the first couple of attempts didn't fully install for reasons unknown.
(It is also the same address that NVidia badged graphics cards use for the latest Win10 x64 drivers.)

"http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/388.13/388.13-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe"

Zotac do actually recommend downloading the latest drivers from NVidia, the following quote is a copy and paste from the Zotac Quick Installation Guide for John's card:
Quote:
Updating the Graphics Card Driver
The installation driver CD that
came with your VGA card is the
latest driver available at the time
of manufacturing. However, these
drivers are updated frequently.
Updating to the latest version of
the VGA card driver may improve
its performance. Checking the
NVIDIA website from time to time is
recommended to see if a new driver
is available: http://www.nvidia.com.
Source: https://www.zotac.com/download/mediadri ... nstall.pdf

A moot point if all is working though :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware