Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:56 am 

I am thinking about upgrading the graphic card but still the same with AMD. I realized that lots of better or new graphic card had 2 6-pin sockets that need to be plug in the graphic card. My question is that right now on my power supply unit which have one 6+2 PCIe connector and other is 6 pin connector. Will that work to plug both 6+2 PCIe connector and 6 pin connector. Or have to get one 6-Pin PCI Express Power Adapter Cable to Dual Molex 4-Pin to PCIe 6-Pin. Or not necessary because of 6 pin connector to plug in the graphic card. Also do I have to uninstall all files of AMD as well or not necessary because I will have the same software with AMD but different manufacturer.

Let me know about this.

John

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:52 pm 
welcoming committee

You can use the 6+2 to connect to a 6. The last 2 should be able to be slightly separated from the 6 so that it fits. Not sure about AMD drivers, but usually its best to uninstall all the software, power down and change cards, reboot and install the newest set of drivers.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:10 pm 

OK I will uninstall the AMD drivers before shut down and change the card. Now about the cables from the power supply unit -- can I plug one with only 6-pin connector and the other is 6+2 pin connector but will not use 2 pin so I will have both 1 with 6 pin and other is 6 pin too from 6+2 connector. Will that work or not??

Let me know about this.

John

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes that will work fine, you just leave the +2 dangling.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As David has already stated you should be able to use the 6+2 cable but may have to separate the extra 2 pins. Also, as David has already stated, separating the extra two plugs should be fairly easy.

I also agree with David as to uninstalling the AMD drivers but would go further. Go to your Control Panel then Programs and Features and uninstall anything dealing with AMD and/or Radeon including Catalyst. Also look for a folder on your C: drive named 'AMD'. If you have not previously deleted this folder it is the setup files for your old card. Delete this folder.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware