Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Please do not do the 'unplug' test as this will remove your ground line. The only way to safely do this to my knowledge is to have the UPS on a surge protector and just turn off the surge protector. You do not want to remove your ground line by unplugging.
Good point, Jay. I almost did that in my initial install, i.e., plug the UPS into a good surge protector (or a good power strip) and then plug that into the wall. That way, I could locate the surge protector within easy reach. If I ever move my furniture again, I will do just that.

While nothing bad would be likely to happen the CyberPower tech advice is not optimal as to system safety.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:16 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Please do not do the 'unplug' test as this will remove your ground line. The only way to safely do this to my knowledge is to have the UPS on a surge protector and just turn off the surge protector. You do not want to remove your ground line by unplugging.

While nothing bad would be likely to happen the CyberPower tech advice is not optimal as to system safety.
Removing your ground temporarily is not a major risk. Grounds are there to safely conduct shorts away from the unit and ultimately the user. All it does is connect the case to ground thus making it safer should it become hot wired. If the unit is faulty then this is certainly an issue but temporarily unplugging a working unit is a minimal risk at best. I don't see this as bad advice really. Ground protection is great and not something to be bypassed regularly but society lived with two prongs for a long time and didn't go up in flames.

Shoot away with examples if you think I'm wrong.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware