Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 am 
welcoming committee

I use a Seagate USB 3.0 external hard drive to do automated system backups on a weekly basis, using both Windows and Acronis. I have always left this drive on all the time, even though I only use it weekly.

I have read where some users power their external hard drives off between backups.

Any recommendations on the best thing to do.......leave it on or turn it off?

Thanks in advance.........

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:50 am 
Fearless Leader

I would say it's a matter of personal preference, BB. I've done both, still do. One thing to consider is whether or not you remember to turn it back on for the backup. If that's a risk, then leave it on - and I advise many of my clients to do so for that reason. If that's not an issue, then it's up to you.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

I always leave them powered off, and only turn on for use. I've seen better life time with them.

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

When GG and I go to bed we turn everything off. When we start in the morning, everything comes on and stays on for the day, a total of 10 drives, 7 of them external. If nothing else, it saves on the electric bill. 8-)
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It is really a personal preference but I never even leave mine connected let alone on. Scheduled backups I do to an internal drive. My backups to externals is always done manually. I have a couple of reasons for this.

1) While I do backups to an internal drive they are mainly for if I mess up or there is a failure of my main drive. I physically disconnect my externals for safety reasons. It has never happened to me but what if I get an infection bad enough to require a restore of an image? Am I going to have total faith in an image that is on a drive that was connected and on when the infection happened?

2) What if I experience a power issue and my externals are connected and on? Would I not be taking the risk of that power issue also frying my connected externals? Yes a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Source, Battery backup) would remove much of this concern but not all. I still need to get a UPS but even if present I'd still disconnect my externals. On average, considering a reasonably priced UPS, how many protected power outlets are on a UPS, six? What would I connect to those six plugs...? My desktop media system of course along with the AC adapter for my laptop. Then there would be my printer. My 42 inch HDTV that I use for a monitor on my media system would also be included. I would also include my router, cable modem and phone. Well dang, I'm already one device over the number of plugs on the UPS. I could not connect the external drive/s AC adapters to a UPS so they are in danger due to a power issue.

Please consider that all the above is related to MY specific situation. I am not going to forget to do backups to the externals manually. For many/most everyday users it is likely that it would be best to leave everything connected and on using a schedule as most would forget to do manually. I gave all the above reasons and situations as bbarry is not a normal everyday user but on the edge of becoming a power user.

Some may ask why I'd have my phone, cable modem and router connected to a UPS. The answer is simple... I don't carry a cell phone. If there were to be a catastrophic issue within my apartment, and all power were gone... say a fire within my breaker box... I could still make contact to get help.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:26 am 

The Expansion drive connected to my desktop is always on because as it has two cables, one for power and one to the computer it's much easier, I can't reach round the back anymore.

My others are the portable type so only have the one cable, USB, so I plug those in when I need them, plus I don't have room where this Notebook sits to leave something else plugged in.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It is really a personal preference ... I could still make contact to get help.

Gee, Jay, you're almost as paranoid as I am. :auto2: I almost always have all my drives, including external, protected by Shadow Protect. The only problem with that is if I want to do a backup, I need to reboot first. And even with our UPSs, whenever there is even the slightest hint of thunder or lightening, everything gets unplugged.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I do the same thing Jay. My computer and it's stuff are on one UPS. Phone, modem and router are on a separate UPS. My cable modem (phone) came with a battery but it has since died and Time Warner no longer supply replacements (can't even find them online).

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
@ Acadia: Don't know that it is all that paranoid actually. Of course the case I stated is a worst case scenario but I believe that the logic is sound. Regardless of the reason for the outage I could shut down my systems and use the UPS to run my cable modem and phone probably for many hours. With my laptop having a battery life of ~7 hours I could go through a pretty long outage without being disconnected at all. Add the that the fact that I have two jumper boxes (1-450 Amp, the other 650 Amp)... A jumper box, as you probably know, is a unit used to jump a car without another car. I should only have one but odd happenings ended up with my having two. Anyway, both boxes have USB outputs so I could charge my tablet forever and I think that I could also charge my laptop via USB but would have to research. I also have a 100Watt power inverter that plugs in to a car cigarette lighter. Both jumper boxes have the proper lighter plug. I may be wrong but I figure that with a high output UPS along with my jumper boxes I could keep on-line and in contact for several days without power. Of course all this is out the window if the cable is out.

@ dvair: Do you do this just to protect the equipment or to also stay connected?

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:32 am 
welcoming committee

@Jay- a bit of both, mostly connection though.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware