Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:36 am 
welcoming committee

I've been using PowerDVD to play my 4K UHD movies from my PC to my home theater for a long time. Even after the upgrade to Windows 11 things worked as they should. This all changed after the recent Windows 11 update. Now I can't play any 4K UHD movies using PowerDVD. I have done many Bing searches for a remedy but to my dismay I discovered that Windows and Intel have taken away this capability. Intel changed their 11th and 12th gen CPU's. Mine isn't affected by this. This does leave PowerDVD by Cyberlink in a bit of a lurch. I used my PC to give my Panasonic and Sony 4K Blu-ray players a rest. Personally I think this stinks. I need to clarify that I can still play 4K movies when I insert the HDMI cable into the MOBO HDMI port but I don't have HDR available in my Windows 11 Settings. I can only watch the movie in SDR. When I plug the HDMI in my Radeon RX 580 GPU which is 4K compliant, HDR is available in the Settings but the movies won't play. In both scenarios the HDMI cable is connected to my Marantz SR7012 AVR which would pass thru the video signal to my 4K TV. This has alwas worked. While this isn't world ending in regards to my home theater it is a disappointment after making the hardware investment for my PC. Btw, it's not just the movie hard disk that won't play but also the movie file stored on my movies library hdd. I don't know if there is a fix or answer. I'm just passing this on to the group.

intel-and-windows-11-deprecating-sgx-breaks-4k-blu-ray-playback

Intel removes SGX support from some processors

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:04 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Personally I'd roll the system back to a Windows 11 version where all worked and wait to see if a later update fixes this. I would imagine that the update that caused the failure was a feature update, not security.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:54 pm 
welcoming committee

I have no way to "Roll" or Go Back in the Recovery options. It's grayed out. My only option is to uninstall the recent updates. Would this be close to the same thing?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Ritzter13 wrote:
I have no way to "Roll" or Go Back in the Recovery options. It's grayed out. My only option is to uninstall the recent updates. Would this be close to the same thing?

Yes it would.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware