Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I already have a proven work a round but thought this might be of interest. I run two 4K HDTV's as a dual monitor setup; 43" and 55".

On the 43"display I started having an issue where there was no audio. The 43" display is my main computer display with the 55" for cable TV, movies and anything else I want larger with good audio as the 55" is connected to a Yamaha sound system via digital audio from the TV to the Yamaha. Both displays are connected via HDMI with the digital audio going from the 55" to the Yamaha

OK, when I lose audio on the 43" it is total. Even the internal audio such as the thing telling me that I have muted or unmuted is gone. Even if I switch the set's source to cable TV the audio is gone.

I did a test where I booted with the 43" turned on after the computer was powered on. The results after a dozen boots was that 9 times there was audio and three times without audio. Doing the same dozen boots with the display turned on before the computer all had full audio. I suspect an HDMI version mismatch but that should be backwards compatible even if my video card is HDMI 2.x and the TV HDMI 1.x.

Like I said the problem seems solved just by turning on the TV first but I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas as to what the actual cause may be.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:08 pm 

Sorry no answers for you Jay, I have problems on the odd occasion with my 43" TV and sound, but mine is only connected to my Sky Q box. I turn it on and sometimes I'll get a picture but no sound and also I've had the problem of turning it on and there's not picture but I do have sound.

I suspect the Sky Q box it's connected to but as it doesn't happen on a regular basis I've not got round to reporting it to Sky yet, the TV is a TCL, I'd never heard of them when I got it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:04 pm 
welcoming committee

For what it's worth it looks like your Yamaha sound system might be the issue, it seems odd that the sound system can only handle your different inputs when connected in a specific order.

As for what the actual cause is you'll probably have to contact Yamaha along with the manufacturers of your TV and Display... any one of them might need a driver or firmware update.
Given that it's the sound system thats falling over when the TV and Display are connecting to the sound system at the same time, i'd start with Yamaha.

It could of course be Windows as well, something Yamaha should already know about if it is.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:16 pm 

The display in question is not connected to the Yamaha at this time but will be soon. The larger display that is connected to the Yamaha never has any audio issues.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:54 pm 

My problem display is now connected to the Yamaha sound with a very good SPDIF cable. This is something I wanted to do for a while and finally did. The Yamaha has two SPDIF inputs which allows me to connect both displays to the sound system and select which audio to use. Not going to do today but I'll need to try to duplicate the sound loss on the problem display to see if anything still goes through SPDIF. Since I already have a work-a-round it isn't a big deal as to testing.

I should probably actually explain the connections...

• I run a 55" LG and a Hisense 43" ROKU as my displays. Both are connected via HDMI from the video card in my main system and the cable box.
  • Both displays are connected to where I can choose either computer or cable on either or both.
  • Since I now have enough SPDIF cables I can use either the TV's built in speakers or the Yamaha for sound output on either display.
  • I use third party software (Voicemeeter)to allow both displays to be seen as audio devices at the same time.

Initially all seems good. :)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:58 pm 

Since I have connected the display that was losing audio to the Yamaha sound via SPDIF I have experienced no audio loss. :dunno: The not getting the issue isn't just by using the Yamaha. The built in audio for the TV has also not failed. I have no idea as to why this is but can only guess that it was an HDMI version mismatch which 'confused' the TV. :dunno: This is not proven and I can't think of a way to test but all is looking good so far.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:37 am 

I still have not been able to duplicate the issue since connecting the 43" TV to my Yamaha sound base via SPDIF. This also includes audio through the actual TV, not using the Yamaha. I could disconnect the SPDIF to see if the issue returns but I doubt that I will bother. The whole thing just seemed to make no sense. I'm just going to blame it on those frisky computer gremlins. :mrgreen:

Even when I had my computer business I, sometimes, fixed systems without having a clue as to what I did to make the fix. Computers ARE a favorite residence when it comes to gremlins. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:55 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Even when I had my computer business I, sometimes, fixed systems without having a clue as to what I did to make the fix. Computers ARE a favorite residence when it comes to gremlins. :rofl2:

So you admitted what we have kept as a secret alll these years. :rofl2:

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:09 pm 

BillG wrote:
jaylach wrote:

:geek: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:06 am 

BillG wrote:
jaylach wrote:

He's such a let down Bill. :rofl2: :twisted:

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware