Register    Login    Search    FAQ     Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Surface 3 2-in-1
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I've always been able to use my Walmart gift cards online. So send them to me if you can't, lol.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
I've always been able to use my Walmart gift cards online. So send them to me if you can't, lol.

Good to hear that you can use gift cards on-line. Just jumped my Walmart gift cards up to $130.00. Actually the cards are free. My apartments have a rewards program that gives points that you can redeem for merchandise and/or store cards. On average it gets me ~$200.00 per year. Not a huge amount but it's free. :mrgreen:

This actually works out better as I'll have more than enough in cards to completely cover the ink and game pad. With what I previously had I would have had to pay for most of the game pad. It will take a week or two for me to get the added cards. Mayhaps the stuff will be back in stock. If not I'll look on-line and have it shipped. If shipping to my apartment isn't free I'll just have it shipped to the local store which is like 3 minutes away.

<edit>
I went ahead and ordered the game pad on-line using a gift card with no issue. Free shipping is going to be SLOW as it states delivery by 4/6/2021. There was no option to pickup at the store on this item. I actually have plenty of ink for now so will wait on that until the new gift cards arrive. All of my 6 cartridges are still well over half full except for one black that I already have a replacement from the last time I used gift cards to buy. This will be the second time I've bought a full load of ink with cards. Looks like my ink and some other stuff will be free as long as I'm in my apartment.

This thing better work with Bluetooth in Windows! I searched and it is stated that it is good for Windows 7, 8 and 10. I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but, with the gift card, it is really free so who cares? :mrgreen: If I shopped at Walmart often I may have gone with actually paying elsewhere at a lower cost but I almost never shop at Walmart. I get the Walmart gift cards mainly for ink and a shirt or something now and then. LOL! Actually I'm considering a fondue setup sometime. When the new cards arrive I could do ink and fondue for only about $20.00 out of pocket.

Sigh, I LOVE doing fondue but haven't had the right stuff for well over 10 years. Talk about some good munchies while watching a ball game or movie... Also, since you are really cooking a few bites at a time, you tend to eat less yet still end up feeling full.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:56 pm 

Next stage done. :) My 10 foot USB extension cable arrived today and my second (bedroom) system now has its own game pad using the one that is Bluetooth but not for Windows. All worked out fine and without issue. :)

I DO have to go through a bunch of OLD install CDs to find my Nintendo 64 emulator. Never really noticed but I don't have it installed on any of my systems... well mayhaps my laptop but haven't looked. I have a fair amount of stuff for my SNES and PS1 emulators but only care about Zelda and Starfox on the N64 emulator... Oh, and Mario64. I will also want to include the N64 emulator on my Surface. If I'm right that the N64 emulator is on my laptop I don't even need the install CD as I can just copy the install folder to another system and it is fine.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm 

Game pad showed up today! :) At first I thought it was messed up as I could pair with the Surface but I couldn't assign any buttons. Then I noticed that the joysticks moved the mouse. The thing has a section switch on the side for game pad or mouse control. Made sure it was on game pad and all was fine. :mrgreen:

Personally I think this is pretty cool! :ugeek:

Attachment:
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2139.JPG [ 134.68 KiB | Viewed 68 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

That's pretty cool. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:25 pm 

sboots wrote:
That's pretty cool. ;-)

I think so. :mrgreen:

Of course the SNES emulator shown in the image does not take advantage of the wide screen aspect but when the SNES was around there were no wide screen displays. It's been a while since used but I think my PS1 and N64 emulators do support wide screen but I haven't put the N64 emulator on the Surface yet and I just can't remember from when I tested the PS1 emulator. Actually the SNES emulator having an aspect ratio of 4:3 instead of wide screen bothers me not at all as it is part of the charm and consistent with the original console. :ugeek:

I WILL say that I had a bit of an issue setting up the game pad due to the slide switch on the side for what mode. When I first tried it would not allow me to assign buttons in the SNES emulator but that was just due to being set for the wrong operating mode which I figured out. As is often the case the manual is not all that great.

At first I was a bit peeved as it is stated that the game pad will expand 11 inches yet my Surface would not fit. The Surface is 10.5 inches wide. I switched to the display being portrait instead of landscape and it was usable but the game was small due to the different aspect ratio. Went to remove the tablet and there was a ratchet type click and the game pad opened wider. I got brave and pulled it apart harder and it opened up to where it would hold the Surface in landscape without issue. I just didn't really think at first. This thing is designed to hold devices from a phone to a tablet. The 'spring lock' that actually holds the device in place only has a travel of 1.5 to 2 inches. In hind sight it is obvious that it would need a crude width setting before the spring lock would be able to be of use.

Bottom line is that the thing seems to work exactly as advertised and I'm a happy camper. :ugeek: Considering that it can also control the mouse pointer I am quite happy with the ~$35.00 price tag.

Oh, actual performance... Again I have only tested with my SNES emulator but the controller seems to be quite responsive and quick, without lag. Once I mapped the buttons for the SNES emulator I had no different experience with Yoshi's Island in the SNES emulator compared to the Logitech game pad I have on my main system.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 am 

I can see someone is going to be having so much fun, do you think we'll ever see him again Steve? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:58 am 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
I can see someone is going to be having so much fun, do you think we'll ever see him again Steve? :rofl2:

LOL! He'll tire of the fun, for sure. :-P

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am 

I'll have you both know that there is NO fun involved in any of this. It is all high level scientific experimentation under a government grant. :dance2: :tup2:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Sure..... :-P

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:12 pm 

sboots wrote:
Sure..... :-P

Hey, my income comes from Social Security and Navy Retired Pay... Therefore I'm paid by the government. Therefore anything I do is under a government grant. :mrgreen: <= It's my lie so I can tell it as I choose! :rofl2:

<edit>
Found my N64 emulator but having problems. First I could not just copy it from my laptop. :oops: Forgot that I did a clean install on my laptop as part of removing a dual boot.

The emulator works but I'm having issues with setting up the controller. In settings it appears to accept all the button mapping but, in game, only half work. I'll either get it going or try another emulator. I may just have to change modes on the controller but had everything put away before that dawned on me. The emulator I have is rated as the best but that does not mean it is the best for all systems. ;) There are 10 others I can try. ;)
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/n64/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware