Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:04 pm 
welcoming committee

This is what happened before, in conjunction with the a/c adapter being broken.
This time, the screen froze after I accidentally stepped on the mouse cable. The usb plug does not become loosened, but it doesn't LIKE being stepped on. (I then wrapped up all my cords and got most of them off the floor.) I cannot imagine how the two of them are tied together, but they seem to be. There are no instructions to press anything to continue, it's just the Asus logo.

After repeated attempts at unplugging and plugging in, powering on and off, and pressing F2 repeatedly, I got back in with no further issues, but I did not turn off the laptop last night because it took 20 minutes to get it working yesterday. When I got the F2 screen to appear and turn over to the next page (wherever it is supposed to take me), I didn't really do anything except read through each heading and press enter, when the Windows logo appeared. That's what I needed to get in. What did I do? I didn't call Asus, but F2 is the button they had me push repeatedly a few weeks ago. I think I ended up with something along the lines of "Start With My Default Settings" as opposed to "Start with Asus Default Settings." I'm obviously winging it.

In searching, I found a couple of hits on this exact problem with Asus. Someone suggested Memtest86+ or reset CMOS. Is scandisk the same as memtest? Does this particular problem ring a bell?

No errors, no BSODs, and the computer works fine otherwise. I did not have to reload Win7.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
No real clue, Nancy, but one thing does jump at me...

By any chance is the USB that the mouse is connected to near the plug for the AC adaptor? This is a bit of a long shot but if the previous is true it could POSSIBLY be an issue where there is actual damage to the mother board where the pressure caused by stepping on the mouse cable broke a connection that eventually re-connected.

If I remember the previous thread concerning the battery/power adaptor correctly this could actually relate and fit. I think that we all know that I'm a bit old school... I'd have the thing apart and be looking with a good magnifying glass for a cracked 'trace' on the mother board in the general area.

For reference a mother board trace is one of those ziggy-squiggy circuit lines on the board. Before integrated circuits they would equate to wires. Such cases CAN be repaired but usually requires someone well versed with a soldier iron. No insult intended (never has been;) ) but I would not even suggest that you attempt such a repair even if you did happen to look and find a crack in a trace. This is NOT novice area and if attempted could potentially cause more harm than good if not done correctly.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

I like your thinking but the usb device and adapter are on opposite sides of the laptop. By the way, the adapter was fried and it is apparently not too unusual with Asus.

When my mother opened a bank account decades ago, the bank gave her a soldering iron, which she naturally sent to me. If I was proficient with that particular tool, I would not be afraid to use it, but soldering is not my forté. On the other hand, I am a wiz with magnifying glasses.

I don't think you are sexist.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay,

Should I put the computer in hibernate and see what happens or keep it running 24/7 until I buy a spare?
It doesn't come out of the freeze quickly (20 mins), because pressing F2 doesn't work consistently AND when F2 does bring up the proper screen, it doesn't advance to the area where I perform any functions. I know that's where I can change the reboot terms, but that's all I remember.

Do you understand what am I doing with the F2 key that enables me to get the Win7 screen back up when I am not following any prompts or making any changes? It's like an empty exercise... that works. But why?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 pm 

I don't really know how to answer. Yes, I DO suspect that is a power input issue but there is no way on-line that I could even begin to explain what to do.

The best advice that I can give at this point is to take it to a shop and have them test the power lad circuitry. I DO believe that is where your issue lies

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Power LAD circuitry? Power led?
An answer is great.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 pm 

Sorry, "power led' should be 'power leads' In other words where the electricity comes into the system. This is not something that you will likely be able to do yourself, it will take a qualified shop. Note that I said a 'QUALIFIED SHOP'. search for local references. Not all shops work the same.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:27 am 
welcoming committee

Got it.
I will be looking for qualified and local.

Found a business with many 5-star referrals/reviews and they are not only in the Whole Foods "mall" around the corner, but they are open 7 days a week, and have a new loaner.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:31 pm 
welcoming committee

I have wonderful news.

I walked around the corner yesterday. The laptop started Windows every time that Stan started it, while asking me about why I was there.
I told him everything that had transpired and he said he thinks the USB ports might be causing the problem and to plug them in one-at-a-time, starting w/the HD. He tested each port and I discovered (or was reminded) that I have two on the right. I had forgotten about the ports on the right, which is why I have been tripping over my keyboard/mouse cables. Autoplay recognized each device yesterday and I used that as my guide today. So, I plugged in each of the four devices and I restarted it each time, without issue. I bought the port because I thought I needed it and I guess it can't hurt to have on in the house. (It still works on the Dell.) Stan said a defective port could cause the computer not to start, but I didn't ask what other issues it could cause, because it wasn't germane.

In addition, Stan unpartitioned the HD, so now I have another 231GB of space. Stan tested the battery, which I had removed, and it had held the charge for the past three weeks. The last thing I asked about was fixing the Dell to speed it up and he said it would be an utter waste of money.

I couldn't be happier. Thank you for giving me a reason to have it checked, Jay.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:05 pm 

No problem. I hope it continues to work for you. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 am 
welcoming committee

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?