Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Ten days ago, I got the Yahoo warning, "Your account has been locked due to too many failed login attempts. Please contact AT&T." I had only tried twice.

I called AT&T and got the usual run-around: It's not us, hold for Yahoo. Yahoo then gives me to another Yahoo department. Meanwhile, since I am being transferred by AT&T, they stay on the line to make sure I'm connected. ATT at the fourth juncture says it's a U-Verse problem, we'll get you straightened out. She did. I have a Yahoo password that is different than my UV login/pw to pay bills, access my account, etc. She separated the passwords (again) between Yahoo and my online bill paying, etc. UV account. An important point may be that when I had DSL in October, I always had separate logins. When I switched to UV, I had the passwords merged somehow, but I separated them again, for the last time on December 31, 2012. So, it goes back and forth. I have not tried logging in to Yahoo w/my UV password, because we spent two hours separating the accounts. I don't care if it works that way; it's not supposed to.

Since last weekend, I am locked out on the first try and I am entering the correct Yahoo password & login.
My accounts are not merger, per se, but on my account profile, they are somehow merged - like on a secondary level. It was suggested that I either open a new U-Verse email account OR clear my cache.
Clearing my cache got me in, but so does History, which I have been using every day since last weekend.

The supposed lock-out time is 12 hours, so the next morning, I should be okay.
Nothing is okay. I'm locked out on the first try - and I'm entering everything correctly.

Has anybody heard of this before - or knows of a real solution?
Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm 

Sorry Nancy I'm the wrong side of the pond to be any help, especially as this seems to be a problem between your ISP and email provider.

I've never heard of U-Verse so can't help there but did you clear everything out from your old email provider before installing a new one ? I'm just wondering if there's any remnants of the old that may be interfering with the new.

Sorry I can't help, hope you get it sorted out.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm 
welcoming committee

AT&T is U-Verse; U-Verse is the fiber optic version which with they are trying to replace DSL. (Like Verizon and FIOS, which you probably don't have, either.) So, there is no old account to clear out first.

If I got a new account, then I would have to change my Outlook address as well and that is the business e-mail I've been using for six years.

I may have to live with this for a while. AT&T is awful. I was dealing with Send/Receive errors daily, for three months, and one day it just stopped. I don't know how/why people put up with this garbage.

Thank you, Joan.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am 
Fearless Leader

You should get an email account that is not dependent on an ISP. You can do accounts like gmail or Hotmail, or you can pay a company that does email services, or you can set up your own domain and set up email on that. ISP email is the worst of all possibilities. Changing emails can be a pain, but it can be done, and relatively painlessly with good organization. Do it now, while it is at a time of your choosing, and change to something you will never have to change again.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
welcoming committee

You and Jay feel strongly about this.
Can I keep Outlook the way that it is? Except for the occasional disruption (Send/Receive), it's not bad.
Yahoo is not pretty, easy , or a pleasure to work with, but I've had it since the late 90s. Who has an aesthetically pleasing interface?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Nancy, your last post looks to me as though you are associating two email systems as one. You ask if Outlook can stay the same but also ask if one email provider has a better interface than another.

It does not matter what interface a provider offers if you are using Outlook... I assume that you mean Outlook as part of Office... The only time that you would see the interface provided by the email provider is if you were on their web based email web site.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Outlook is your email program. It can connect to any number of accounts.
Based on the problems you have had with Yahoo/At&T, we are all suggesting the same thing -- switch email providers. Get a new account or accounts. I'm partial to a Hotmail account. You can sign up for a new account or accounts with an @outlook.com address. You can configure your existing accounts to forward to the new one or you can set up the new account(s) to pull your mail from the Yahoo/AT&T accounts for now (or as long as you wish).
You can configure Outlook (the email program) to send and receive mail with your new Outlook.com email address.
You might prefer a gmail account -- google. And, of course, there are other email providers.

Personally, if you are happy with Outlook the email program, you will get the best experience using an Exchange account -- hosted Exchange. You can get one with a 3rd party -- I use a company called Sherweb http://www.sherweb.com, or you can get an Office 365 account (note, this is not the same as the Office 365 Home Premium subscription that gets you 5 install licenses for office on a subscription basis. Office 365, targeted to business users, is a monthly service that gets you a hosted Exchange account and web space/SharePoint. You pay Microsoft $6 per month for this. For both a 3rd party hosted Exchange service such as Sherweb you need to also get a domain -- this part can get complicated and is at an extra annual cost. Sherweb offers this for $15 per year. Their tech support is excellent, so they would help you set this up.
Office 365 for Small Business does not need a domain name, you can use something.onmicrosoft.com for your address. More information on Office 365 can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/small-business.aspx

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 am 
Fearless Leader

Steve, can Hotmail still be pulled into Office Outlook by a Hotmail connector? I think that would be Nancy's best bet. As well as the fact that for the times she may not be at her computer, Hotmail has the best interface (Outlook.com). Nancy, go take a peek at Outlook.com. You can sign up for a free account. Since the domain is new, likely you will be able to get the email address you would like. You have the option to pay $20/year to have no ads in the webmail interface, and you get to do larger attachments and so forth. I do that - worth every penny.

With the connectivity of Windows 8, it is fairly likely that I will be transitioning most of my email to the Outlook.com webmail (Hotmail, same thing), as I will want to check mail more often while away from home. I love the interface, find it very easy on the eyes and very simple to use. Probably more than anything, that's why I'll be moving more to it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:34 am 

Sigh... I TOTALLY admit and that both Patty and Steve have much more knowledge in this area than do I. That said I totally disagree with the concept that web based email can be considered even an option.

I get email confirmations of payments mede to me by clients via PayPal. I get statements and receipts via email for on-line purchases. I keep these emails as a form of records. There is no way that I want to keep them in the cloud in any form. I want them on my local machine ASAP and gone from the server. Plain and simple, if for no other reason than security I will never use a web based form form of email.

Don't get me totally wrong! I could see using web based for quick access through a device that is not my main system and having access via that device set to where it leaves a copy on the server. However, on my main system, when an email is received it WILL be deleted from the server and only remain on my local machine.

Needles for me to say that I DO NOT like the cloud.

OK... the interface for @outlook.com is pretty and very nice on the eyes. I use Office Outlook 2007, does not make my eyes bleed. Everyone likes pretty but that does not mean that pretty is always better. I'll take the added privacy of my emails being stored on my local machine.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
Steve, can Hotmail still be pulled into Office Outlook by a Hotmail connector? I think that would be Nancy's best bet. As well as the fact that for the times she may not be at her computer, Hotmail has the best interface (Outlook.com). Nancy, go take a peek at Outlook.com. You can sign up for a free account. Since the domain is new, likely you will be able to get the email address you would like. You have the option to pay $20/year to have no ads in the webmail interface, and you get to do larger attachments and so forth. I do that - worth every penny.

With the connectivity of Windows 8, it is fairly likely that I will be transitioning most of my email to the Outlook.com webmail (Hotmail, same thing), as I will want to check mail more often while away from home. I love the interface, find it very easy on the eyes and very simple to use. Probably more than anything, that's why I'll be moving more to it.

Yes, it can. I am currently using Outlook 2013 and had not configured it to access my Hotmail account which has already been upgraded. It does not need the connector -- it configured access using Exchange Active Sync which Hotmail supports.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Sigh... I TOTALLY admit and that both Patty and Steve have much more knowledge in this area than do I. That said I totally disagree with the concept that web based email can be considered even an option.

I get email confirmations of payments mede to me by clients via PayPal. I get statements and receipts via email for on-line purchases. I keep these emails as a form of records. There is no way that I want to keep them in the cloud in any form. I want them on my local machine ASAP and gone from the server. Plain and simple, if for no other reason than security I will never use a web based form form of email.

Don't get me totally wrong! I could see using web based for quick access through a device that is not my main system and having access via that device set to where it leaves a copy on the server. However, on my main system, when an email is received it WILL be deleted from the server and only remain on my local machine.

Needles for me to say that I DO NOT like the cloud.

OK... the interface for @outlook.com is pretty and very nice on the eyes. I use Office Outlook 2007, does not make my eyes bleed. Everyone likes pretty but that does not mean that pretty is always better. I'll take the added privacy of my emails being stored on my local machine.

Web based email is for convenience of access as well as storage. You can choose to download and archive whatever you wish. :-)

You aren't gaining any privacy by using local storage, but the way. Your email still spends time on servers. And most email transmission is via clear text. <!>

[edited from POP to "most"]

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am 
Fearless Leader

Steve, I thought all email was clear text unless you specify encrypted. Is that not true?

Jay, I understand. As Steve said, it all comes through email servers anyway and is in no way secure - but, I still want to keep certain things in Outlook on my local machine. Those things I forward to an account that is only picked up by Outlook, and I delete them from Hotmail. Very simple.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 am 

Like Jay I have emails I want to keep, well for awhile anyway. I do use my ISPs email service, the main one is just for them sending me notice of when my bill is online and immediate family and friends to use. I have another that is for general use and one for all craft related emails.

I also have a Hotmail and Gmail account plus another online one that I don't actually use, GMX. I also have emails that still come from my old ISP, as they are mainly newsletters I still like to see I've not got rid of it yet.

Of course all these come into my Windows Live Mail, I don't have the Outlook associated with the full Office suite. I have folders set up under the Storage Folders so I can send the ones I want to keep to their own folder.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I like the idea of getting in early enough to pick my own address.
Keeping my old account is very comforting, also.

Because I only did a quick read at this point (you guys are still too technical for me to absorb easily on the first read), I'm going to respond more responsibly later. Thank you for the great dialogue and different points of view.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
Steve, I thought all email was clear text unless you specify encrypted. Is that not true?

Jay, I understand. As Steve said, it all comes through email servers anyway and is in no way secure - but, I still want to keep certain things in Outlook on my local machine. Those things I forward to an account that is only picked up by Outlook, and I delete them from Hotmail. Very simple.

Yes. Pretty much all email would be clear text unless you connected via an https/secure connection. I should have limited my response to POP.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 am 
Fearless Leader

With Hotmail you have the option to always connect via https, which I do. That may make my Hotmail account more secure than the accounts that Outlook pulls down, don't you think? ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Connecting to a Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail 2011 is also done via https by default. I am fairly sure that the Outlook Hotmail Connector also uses DeltaSync and was updated to use https.
Outlook 2013 and Windows Phone connect to the Hotmail servers using Exchange Active Sync. I am not well versed on the details of that protocol, but I know that Exchange administrators can configure EAS to be very secure as it is used in the Enterprise. I assume that EAS for Hotmail accounts is managed securely in Outlook 2013 and Windows Phone.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Nancy, your last post looks to me as though you are associating two email systems as one. You ask if Outlook can stay the same but also ask if one email provider has a better interface than another.

It does not matter what interface a provider offers if you are using Outlook... I assume that you mean Outlook as part of Office... The only time that you would see the interface provided by the email provider is if you were on their web based email web site.

I wasn't associating, but tying the two together. I got Outlook as a sub-account of AT&T. I don't expect Outlook to change.

I even have a third email account, set up by the company I represent. There I have a beautiful e-mail address, but it's difficult to go back and forth between it and Outlook, so I don't. In addition, whenever I respond from OL, my email address is always the one I set up through AT&T, even though my signature includes the other address. I've been encouraging people to use it (it's shorter, easier, and makes more sense), but most people hit Reply instead.

This is the clearest statement to which I can respond.
Thank you, Jay.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 pm 
welcoming committee

This is the alternate e-mail that I use for business only.
I don't need to be in there to write new mail or respond, because mail addressed there bounces into Outlook. Today I had to use it to reply to the Feds, who - all of a sudden - don't recognize my old Outlook e-mail. (We're sorry, we don't recognize you - login and change your account.)

Is this similar to what you are suggesting?

1&1 Webmail 2.0
GUI Version: 6.22.1 Rev7
Server Version: 6.22.1-Rev11
Creative Commons - Open-Xchange, Inc.

Thank you.

There I can synchronize Outlook.
There is an Expert Mode.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am 

Do you actually have an email account through 1&1? I haven't dealt with them in years but I used to use them for hosting my sites. When I was with them they only offered email via hosted domains... if you had a site with them.

Don't expect a lot of help from me in this thread. I'm pretty much just an observer.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am 
welcoming committee

Yes, Jay. I said that in the first sentence.

I am unsure of what you mean about "w/email through a hosted domain," unless you mean our website. The home page is companyname.com. When you click through the intro, the next page is companyname.com/index2.html.
We all can use name@companyname.com, or not. It's a simple and clean address, which is why I use it in my signature.

I clicked on About, in order to be specific.

Observe away - your insight is helpful.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Here's a new question.

Does Hotmail work fine with Firefox? I know one is e-mail and one is a browser, but conflicts are conflicts, sometimes.
(Even I will admit that IE is performing a lot better than Firefox these days but I'm not giving up on FF yet.)
I was reading about safety and who likes what better. I have no idea the demographics of the responders, but there are a lot of Gmail fans out there. I understand that https is safer...

That's about all I can grasp at this point - but I will spend more time reading this thread.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you can access a Hotmail account using Firefox, or Chrome, or IE. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 pm 

nancy wrote:
Here's a new question.

Does Hotmail work fine with Firefox? I know one is e-mail and one is a browser, but conflicts are conflicts, sometimes.
(Even I will admit that IE is performing a lot better than Firefox these days but I'm not giving up on FF yet.)
I was reading about safety and who likes what better. I have no idea the demographics of the responders, but there are a lot of Gmail fans out there. I understand that https is safer...

That's about all I can grasp at this point - but I will spend more time reading this thread.

Thank you.

Nancy, I think that you are missing an important point. Hotmail. gmail and all the rest are just email services that allow access to your email data via either a local client such as Outlook or Thunderbird or through an internet interface that you can access with just about any browser.

Look... Nancy, Quite a while back I recommended that you ask your questions in a different way. ;) I hope that you don't mind but I think it time to remind you of that. You trend to ask questions trying to use all the right terms. LOL! QUIT IT! Ask your questions as they sit in your mind. Don't worry about tech crud. You know in your mind what your issue is. State it here as it is in your mind; you will probably get better answers.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I don't mind at all. Thank you for the reminder. I am sure I have new habits to break.

I'm looking at ISP-independent e-mail accounts.
Is there anything I should worry about in switching both personal e-mail and business e-mail accounts?
Security, stability, reliability - that sort of thing?

While still figuring things out, I signed up at outlook.com yesterday, because my full username (as is) is available. I can't move my contacts from Yahoo (unpaid) unless I am a Yahoo Plus subscriber. Is there a work-around or should I just pay the $20?

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?