Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have a sort of odd audio setup as Windows only allows 1 audio output yet I have three that I use. Normally there are only two needed being dual displays with each connected to my Yamaha sound system via optical audio cables. I do this with a gem of a third party software called Voice Meeter.
https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm
This actually seems to set up a virtual audio device that allows two output channels. It also allows for two physical input devices along with one virtual device. I haven't messed with the audio input stuff as I have no need but the dual audio outputs works really well. The dual audio outputs mean that I just have to click which input I want for the Yamaha sound.

The third audio output device is a surround sound headset for when it is late and I want volume while watching a movie. I'm just not going to normally 'crank' the Yamaha volume as it might bother others in my apartments so I use the headset. Since I can only have two outputs via Voice Meeter I wanted to put the Control Panel sound applet on my Taskbar. Sigh, the 'sound control panel applet' just will not attach directly to the Taskbar. Happily it WILL allow for making a shortcut. Groan... Still can't pin the shortcut to the 'quick launch' part of the Taskbar. Te solution is the 'toolbar' section of the Taskbar. A shortcut to the sound applet will happily attach to the Taskbar as a Toolbar. I now have both my recycle bin and sound applet as tools in the Taskbar.

I know that what I've typed is rather generic but would be happy to expand if there is any interest.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, that sounds like you figured out a neat way of solving your issue. But I don't understand where the toolbar section of the taskbar is located. I thought the taskbar was where I added my program shortcut icons. And I thought the toolbar was something an individual application popped up that contained commands like open, save, edit, etc.

So how do I get to the toolbar section of the taskbar?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:34 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, that sounds like you figured out a neat way of solving your issue. But I don't understand where the toolbar section of the taskbar is located. I thought the taskbar was where I added my program shortcut icons. And I thought the toolbar was something an individual application popped up that contained commands like open, save, edit, etc.

So how do I get to the toolbar section of the taskbar?

The toolbar section is just to the left of the notification area where the clock resides. I also have my recycle bin as a toolbar on the taskbar. Unfortunately I can't get the recycle bin to work in Windows 11; haven't tried with the sound applet.
Attachment:
toolbar1.jpg
toolbar1.jpg [ 22.23 KiB | Viewed 1760 times ]

You won't see the toolbar area unless you set one up. I use the links toolbar. You right click on the taskbar to get to the following.

Attachment:
toolbar2.jpg
toolbar2.jpg [ 181.19 KiB | Viewed 1760 times ]

When setting up the links toolbar there will be some default entries. You just add the shortcuts you want to the toolbar and delete the rest.

The last thing is to unlock the taskbar and right click in the toolbar on an empty section then uncheck the show title option as shown below, right below the show text option that is checked in the following image.
Attachment:
toolbar3.jpg
toolbar3.jpg [ 102.61 KiB | Viewed 1760 times ]

If you want you can also uncheck the show text option in the above image which would result in the following, just showing the icons.
Attachment:
toolbar4.jpg
toolbar4.jpg [ 31.6 KiB | Viewed 1760 times ]

The toolbar area is also sizeable as long as the taskbar is unlocked.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Is there some reason you don't use the sound icon next to the clock? Just right click it and you can open the sounds control panel.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:48 pm 

dvair wrote:
Is there some reason you don't use the sound icon next to the clock? Just right click it and you can open the sounds control panel.

Mainly because I wanted to see if I could get it on its own on the taskbar. Also I'm not wanting all the sound settings just the output device such as in the following image. I had already done as a toolbar for my recycle bin so figured why not.
Attachment:
sound.jpg
sound.jpg [ 210.58 KiB | Viewed 1752 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:47 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, Jay, now I understand. And it so happens that I have a task bar with several entries...Links, Desktop, Sound, RoboForm, and an up-arrow icon that shows hidden icons.

When I right-click on the task bar (in Win 10), I get a menu that looks a little different than yours. Are you using Win 11?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 pm 

Nope, Windows 10.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?