Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: .webp files
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:33 am 
welcoming committee

Got a new problem that looks like it might be solved if I get some type of software to do it. Up until recently I have been able to download gifs and they would save as a picture just the same as a jpg so when you went to open it, you could identify it by the image. Now when I download what appears to be a gif, it has the extension .webp and does not display as a picture but as a blank file and you have to right click on it and select "open with" and select Google or MS Edge to view it. While I dont mind the extra step to open it, when closed, it returns to a blank file, thus if you had say 20 .webp's on a page, all you would see is 20 blank files and you have to hunt and peck to find what you want.

So my question is what do I need to open a .webp and have it stay open so that it can be easily identified.

Post subject: Re: .webp files
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:23 am 
Site Admin

https://fileinfo.com/extension/webp

"If you come across a WEBP file, you can view it with Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Microsoft Edge. Several graphics editors can open and save WebP files, such as Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, Image Magick, and IrfanView.
NOTE: Microsoft Photos may not recognize image files with a ".webp" extension. However, it may be possible to open a WebP image file with Microsoft Photos by changing the file extension to ".jpg." This does not change the internal formatting of the WebP file, but it allows Photos to recognize it as an image file."

It appears that there are photo editing programs that will recognize and open the webp file type per the above. There are also programs and online solutions that will convert webp images to gif (or other types), but I have no experience with them to offer a suggestion for a valid one.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As free options for image conversion I'd suggest Paint.net or XnView. Of course, if you already have a package such as Paint Shop or Photo Shop just load the file and save as another type.

As to having these files open automatically in your browser when selected do the Open with... thing but select to choose another app and check the box to always use this program before selecting your browser.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:44 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
As free options for image conversion I'd suggest Paint.net or XnView. Of course, if you already have a package such as Paint Shop or Photo Shop lust load the file and save as another type.

As to having these files open automatically in your browser when selected do the Open with... thing but select to choose another app and check the box to always use this program before selecting your browser.

Hi Jay......I have Paint Shop Pro, Corel PSP x6, and Corel PSP x8 and none of those will allow me to load the file and save as another type. I also downloaded and installed Paint.net and no luck with that program either. I also have Animation Shop and they will not open there either. These .webp files will open on my computer using Chrome and Edge only.

The only way I have found (which is ridiculous) is to open them using Chrome or Edge, take a screen shot of the animation, Use Expression Web to convert it to a video, use my gif maker to create a gif from the video, then save it with the gif maker as a .gif. I have not tried XnView so will look into that tomorrow.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 am 
Site Admin

In the article I found (above -- https://fileinfo.com/extension/webp), none of the programs you mention are listed.
"Several graphics editors can open and save WebP files, such as Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, Image Magick, and IrfanView."

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:00 pm 

Your PSP versions may just not be current enough. According to the following article PSP should open.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/pages/webp-file/
I have PSP 2018 and it opens them.

You can find link to XnView here.
https://computerhaven.com/downloads.html

I thought that Paint.net would open but, on a test, it does not. IrfanView does though.

I have both IrfanView and XnView. They are both good packages.
https://www.irfanview.com/

<edit>
Actually I just updated my copy of Paint.net and the newer version does open the files. You can find a link here.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:43 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Your PSP versions may just not be current enough. According to the following article PSP should open.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/pages/webp-file/
I have PSP 2018 and it opens them.

You can find link to XnView here.

I thought that Paint.net would open but, on a test, it does not. IrfanView does though.

I have both IrfanView and XnView. They are both good packages.
https://www.irfanview.com/

<edit>
Actually I just updated my copy of Paint.net and the newer version does open the files. You can find a link here.

Hi Jay.....I downloaded and installed XnView on my computer (Windows 7 Pro) just in case I did not mention that before. It does not open a webp file for me. What happens is that it opens a large blank page with small type at the top left corner that shows download 100% and at the bottom there is a start arrow and that changes to pause when you click on it. Also, there is no x button at the top right and I have to do a ctl alt del to close the page.

In addition to not being able to open the webp's except with chrome and edge, I have developed a new problem. Whenever I double click to open a pic or gif, it opens Corel PSPx8 which takes forever to load and bombs me with ads. I have gone into the control panel under Default Programs and set jpg, jpeg, gif, png to open with PSP7 Pro. Then back to double click on pic and it opens sucessfully in PSP7 Pro. However, the very next time I do the double click on pic, it goes right back to Corel PSPx8. I have gone back into the control panel and for reasons I do not know, the jpg, jpeg, gif, and png are set back to the Corel Program. Is there anything I can do other than removing the Corel Program from my computer to stop it from doing that?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:59 pm 

When you change to PSP7 use the right click option to 'Open with' on the image. Select to Choose another app option at the bottom. Now check the box to 'Always use this app to open .webp files' then select PSP7. Do this for each file type you want to open with PSP7 as it seems to work better than Default programs.

Here is a list of graphics programs I have installed that will open WebP files. I have only tested these in Windows 10 but will check on my Windows 7 virtual machine soon.

PSP 2018
IrfanView (needs plugin package installed: https://www.fosshub.com/IrfanView.html )
Paint.net
XnView
Windows 10 Paint

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm 

Apps that will open WebP files in my Windows 7 virtual machine.

Infanview ( Need to install the plugin package. Use the Windows installer version, not the .zip file. When you click file/open you have to select the WebP file type specifically. )
https://www.fosshub.com/IrfanView.html

Paint.net ( No plugins needed, works out of the box. Do NOT use the Windows Store download option as it is not free. )
https://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

XnView ( Works out of the box but you have to select the WebP plugin during install. I just selected all the plugins. Select the Extended version download )
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/#downloads

Paint.net is probably the easiest install in Windows 7 as there are no plugins involved. It is also probably the more advanced editor.

Here is an example of a WebP file opened in Paint.net within Windows 10.
Attachment:
pain-dot-net.jpg
pain-dot-net.jpg [ 233.87 KiB | Viewed 9815 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:09 pm 

Just for grins here is a .webp file opened in Paint.net in my Windows 7 virtual machine. Paint.net DOES work and is probably the best choice for what I guess you want. It will allow many advanced editing options that most other packages don't.

Attachment:
snip of paint-net.PNG
snip of paint-net.PNG [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 9804 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:52 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
When you change to PSP7 use the right click option to 'Open with' on the image. Select to Choose another app option at the bottom. Now check the box to 'Always use this app to open .webp files' then select PSP7. Do this for each file type you want to open with PSP7 as it seems to work better than Default programs.

Here is a list of graphics programs I have installed that will open WebP files. I have only tested these in Windows 10 but will check on my Windows 7 virtual machine soon.

PSP 2018
IrfanView (needs plugin package installed: https://www.fosshub.com/IrfanView.html )
Paint.net
XnView
Windows 10 Paint

Hi Jay....the version of PSP 7 that I have does not allow me to do anything that you have suggested. I was on Amazon looking for a later version and the version I have was listed on there as "unavailable"/ and was
made to work on Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows ME. I think for starters, I need to update to a later version and saw Corel PaintShop Pro 2020. Is that basically the same program as the PSP 2018 that you refer to above only a later version?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 pm 

PSP 2020 is just an upgrade to 2018 and is far from free. If you want to go with free Paint.net is probably your best option. The open source program called Gimp is another option but has a big learning curve as the user interface is quite different than what I'm sure you are used to using.

I suggest that you take a good look at Paint.net.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:16 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
PSP 2020 is just an upgrade to 2018 and is far from free. If you want to go with free Paint.net is probably your best option. The open source program called Gimp is another option but has a big learning curve as the user interface is quite different than what I'm sure you are used to using.

I suggest that you take a good look at Paint.net.

I tried Paint.net and while it opens an image, it is not animated. I think I will just go ahead and buy PSP2020 as it comes with a disc and says that it will work on Windows 7 Pro. I got a check from my insurance company due to this Corona Virus thing and it more than covers the cost of PSP2020 so its like a freebee. Thanks for all your help though, you guys have been very good in getting links to me and such.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:20 pm 

OK, hope it all works out for you.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:36 pm 

As a followup I just did some testing and PSP 2018 will NOT open an animated .WebP file. It opens one that is static but not an animated version. This does not mean that PSP 2020 will not but I can find nothing that says it will.

Feel free to not answer but I'm curious... Why do you want to download web pages and images?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:46 pm 
welcoming committee

When you download them, can you right click them and do a save as and change the file type to .gif ?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:09 pm 

dvair wrote:
When you download them, can you right click them and do a save as and change the file type to .gif ?

At least with Firefox, Edge and IE I have had no success with that. :(

Since WebP files are a Google thing mayhaps Chrome would allow the save option you suggested David but I am still anti-Google and won't install Chrome to test. Mayhaps I'll do so in one of virtual machines...

<edit>
OK, I installed Google Chrome on my Windows 7 virtual machine. No option when saving a .WebP animated image file to do so as a GIF image.

Since the WebP image format is a mutation of the WebM video format, and GIF is a true image format, it just might prove that it will be a while before a simple conversion from WebP to GIF is available. Animation in a WebP file has not been around all that long while static images in the format has been around for around 10 years.

Take the following with a grain of salt as I am not a fan of Google. :mrgreen: Google's WebP image format is a bastardization of the WebM internet video file format. Therefore it is not a true image format and Google should never have done this. Yes, file sizes can be smaller but, with today's normal internet speeds, who cares? Even BB, with his low internet speed, would not notice a difference in load time. I just see this as another attempt by Google to try to take control of the internet. :( As a web site builder in the past I would not use this image format on a site I built.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

I can't vouch for any links offered by this page, so do take care if you choose to download anything. It looks to be legit, but a download may include adware or worse.
https://blog.media.io/image-converter/webp-to-gif.html
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:47 pm 

sboots wrote:
I can't vouch for any links offered by this page, so do take care if you choose to download anything. It looks to be legit, but a download may include adware or worse.
https://blog.media.io/image-converter/webp-to-gif.html
-steve

Steve, the first option,
https://ezgif.com/webp-to-gif
in your link actually seems to work. Tested the resulting GIF file in IE, FF and the output file both worked. To open such an image (or any local file) in Edge is so convoluted that I gave up on trying to test. Still it seems to work. Ahh, I'll make a quick web page to test. Then I can just put the page address in Edge. The GIF output file works in Edge.

I uploaded my test WebP image to the above site and let it convert then downloaded the resulting GIF image. It seems cool. I'll test other options in the near future. ;) Here is my test page, I'd appreciate that people using other browsers take a look to see if it works. I have tested in Edge, FF and IE. In IE the WebP file fails to load but the finished GIF image is fine.
https://computerhaven.com/webp-test/
Right click on the above link and select open in a new tab or it will over-write this thread page.

Congrats Steve! You seem to have found an easy and workable solution. :)

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Your test page looks good. :-) I don't have any unusual browsers to test on, but it shouldn't matter -- if an animated gif is supported, the converted animated file should display just fine.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:39 pm 

I tried it in the new Edge and I've just tried it in Chrome and it worked in both without any problems.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:14 pm 

Actually I was interested in any browsers that do not support .WebP files. IE is one.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm 
welcoming committee

The first test does not work in IE, the second one does.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 pm 

BillG wrote:
The first test does not work in IE, the second one does.

Support for IE ended before the animated WebP files were developed by Google.

<edit>
So, so far we have WebP animated files working in the new Edge, Firefox and chrome while not working in Internet Explorer. Probably not but I might install Opera and Vivaldi to check. Hmmm, Steve, don't you use Opera and BB, don't you use Vivaldi? :mrgreen: I think I still have the old Edge on either my laptop or second desktop. I'll have to check that out. Doesn't really matter but I'm a bit interested in how much support this animation format has. I really don't get why Google tore apart a web specific video format to make another image format. Sure, the file size is usually smaller but does that really matter anymore?

<edit #2>
Both Vivaldi and Opera browsers support .WebP animated files.

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 pm 

I checked the two stand alone (not web based) utilities for converting .WebP files to .GIF in the link Steve supplied earlier in this thread and both fail in my opinion.

1) XnConvert: Does not seem to support animated .WebP files or I just don't know how to properly use.

2) ReaConverter: This may or may not actually work. I uninstalled as soon as I saw that the free download was just a 15 day trial version. This is not a free package.

If one really wants to convert such files I'd stick with the web based apps that are actually free. Zamzar and EZGIF both work and provide an animated GIF image from an animated .WebP image.
Zamzar:
https://www.zamzar.com/convert/webp-to-gif/

EZGIF:
https://ezgif.com/webp-to-gif

As to browsers that do not support .WebP animated files apparently we can add Safari. I have not personally tested but it is reported that it will not display animated .WebP files.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?