Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'll add that I love the ability to use a 4 digit numeric passcode for my login rather than a password. And, on my Surface Pro 4, which supports it, Windows Hello using facial recognition or fingerprint. :-)
I've also used Picture Password extensively, but decided that the passcode was easier to deal with.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:38 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Like I indicated in my last post I overreacted. Do I like seeing someone run without a password? No I don't but that is a personal decision and really not as risky as I made it seem.
Well, it's not like I never overreacted, lol.
Yes, I could post your IP address right now but, as Steve pointed out, it would actually be the IP address for your router. Check your router, the address ends with the number 4 and is a three digit number. Don't worry as there is no danger in my posting one digit out of the four groups of digits. ;) Since the system has no associated password I don't need to know the user name.
No, my router dynamic IP address does not currently end in the number 4, although it does have four groups of digits and the last group contains three digits....but it does not end in the number 4. I have to admit, you and Steve both are confusing me on all this IP dialog, which I thought I understood before this topic posting, lol.
Yes, not having a password would make it easier to access your system but your router is probably more protection than the password anyway. The password is another layer of protection but you have several other layers. Actually the biggest protection against such an attack is the firewalls.

I do tend to freak a bit when someone removes a password, Updates or AV but, as I said, I'm sure that I overreacted. Another thing that is to be considered is if you are even a target? As far as I can tell you would not be much of a target. In fact, in general, attacks on personal systems have dramatically lessened with the bad guys going after corporations. Even things like ransomware are not delivered by a hacker but by compromised sites.

Bottom line is that no, I don't like going without a password but, in your case, the added risk is probably negligible.

I am curious about your statement about this saving time. Not counting the time to actually enter the password isn't the actual boot time the same? I could be wrong but would think it would be the case.
Boot time may be the same, but I can go get (or eliminate) a cup of coffee, and when I return I will be at my desktop rather than the sign-in screen. I can't recall the exact circumstances (and I may be wrong), but it seems like there are times when, even after I enter the password, I am told to wait for further configuration.

Something else you may smile at...it's not like I have to enter my log-in password every morning. As you know, my system stays on 24/7, so a log-on is required only with Windows updates or system crashes. So I am probably saving a total of 7.285 seconds a month by not having to type in my password. :D

As a side note there is a system password that I consider totally useless. That would be a password to the system BIOS. Shoot, unplug the system and remove the CMOS battery and the password is gone. ;) Not really sure if that applies to UEFI but it sure does with an old style BIOS.
Thanks for all your input and insight. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Oops on the IP address. The one that ends with a 4 is over 7 years old. :mrgreen:

An IP address is nothing more than a group of numbers that identifies your system so you can communicate with sites.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 am 
welcoming committee

I have a webcam and a fingerprint reader that I have had forever, but Windows Hello won't let me use either for doing authentication.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 am 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
I have to admit, you and Steve both are confusing me on all this IP dialog, which I thought I understood before this topic posting, lol.

I think you still understand the IP dialog. :-)

The basic bit is that your Internet Provider assigns an IP address to the router, which is connected to the Internet through their equipment. Your router assigns the IP address to your computer(s) and other devices connected to it by wire or wireless, if your router has wireless capability. The router handles the job of "routing" traffic in both directions -- outbound to the Internet and responses and inbound from the Internet. Your computer's IP address is not visible to the Internet.

Hope that helps to affirm that you do indeed understand the basics!

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. That was my understanding of the basics.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?