Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:03 pm 
welcoming committee

This is it. My son has a really expensive DSLR camera. They also have an almost new TV. They were in the States on holiday for a month and we were going to look at his photos on the TV. I believe it's a Panasonic. But when he put the camera SD card in the slot on the TV, it didn't recognize it.

We came to the conclusion it had to do with the fact that the photos were RAW rather than jpgs. Does anyone know if there is any way to get RAW photos to work on a TV?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Purley,

You can ask pretty much anything on here. Besides, to a large extent, today's cameras are small computers.

In a nutshell the answer is no, you will not get a TV to show RAW format images. You will need to convert to JPEG on a computer. If you don't have software such as Photoshop or PaintShop Pro there are free programs that will do the job. Actually I'd be surprised if his camera did not come with RAW editing software that would allow the image to be saved as a JPEG.

As a note I have a 64 GB card in my Canon for the simple reason that every shot I take saves in both RAW and JPEG formats at the same time. I would also be surprised if your son's camera did not settings options as to the image format. For me the ideal setup is to have both RAW and JPEG but, if I could only go with one, I'd probably go with high quality JPEG unless he is a serious photographer that needs 'pure' image files.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks a lot. I will pass that along to him. He will understand what you are telling him.

He took some photos with his iPhone. I asked him why he didn't transfer the photos to the fancy new Ipad Pro that he just bought and he said something about not having enough icloud storage and he didn't want to buy any more.

It would be nice to see the photos on the big screen TV. They went all down the west coast and took photos along the way. His wife's family own a house in Santa Barbara and they drove home from there - via LA which he said was an absolute nightmare. It took them 5 hours to go 113 km!! In fact he drove 15 hours home from Salt Lake City because they were sick of hotel rooms by then!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You are quite welcome. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?