Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm 
welcoming committee

On my new desktop I have an empty 2TB (1863GB) basic hard drive designated as Healthy (Primary Partition). I am trying to use Windows Disk Management to divide this drive into two volumes........a small volume (200GB) and a large volume (the remaining 1663GB). But it appears that Windows Disk Management won't let me do this.

Disk Management says the total volume before shrink is 1,907,727MB and the size of available shrink is only about half that (950,813).

Am I doing something wrong, or will I need to go to a 3rd party program to create these lopsided partitions?

Thanks in advance.........

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:08 pm 
welcoming committee

You would first have to delete the large partition and then create new ones on the drive.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:53 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
You would first have to delete the large partition and then create new ones on the drive.

Thanks for your response, David, but I really don't understand what you are telling me. That drive currently has only one partition, and Microsoft says if a hard disk is currently set up as a single partition, then you can't delete it. And mine is currently set up as a single partition.

Can you perhaps be more specific in your instructions, as I always get nervous about deleting something when I really don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks.....

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 pm 

There is a free program that can walk you through partition work, I've used it and I believe some of the members here probably have as well so if you want to wait for the more experienced to reply.

This is the name of the program sorry it's not the actual link but I'm sure you'd find it in a search.
MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:06 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
There is a free program that can walk you through partition work, I've used it and I believe some of the members here probably have as well so if you want to wait for the more experienced to reply.

This is the name of the program sorry it's not the actual link but I'm sure you'd find it in a search.
MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Thanks, Joan. I found another free program to use called EaseUS Partition Master. However, I was eventually able to use Windows Disk Management. What was messing me up was that my 2TB drive was not empty....I did a small backup to it last week and forgot about that. Once I deleted that file, all was well and I got my drive partitioned like I want.

Thanks to you and dvair for responding.........

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:20 pm 

OK, glad you managed to sort things out. I've heard of that program and may even have used it years ago, I can't remember. :-)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:53 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
EaseUS Partition Master is the partition manager of choice for me but that is only my opinion. I really only use it if I am totally re-constructing the setup of a drive.

Still Windows Disk Management would have done the job. You would have right clicked on the graphic for the drive and selected to shrink. Your initial post reads as though you did do this but backed off when it said that only 950,813 GB was available. You could have just continued and the next screen would have allowed you to enter the shrink amount which, in your case, to leave a true 200 GB partition would have been a shrink of 204800 MB. This easily fits in with what was shown as available. You would then have a 200 GB chunk on the drive where you could right click and set up as a basic drive.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
EaseUS Partition Master is the partition manager of choice for me but that is only my opinion. I really only use it if I am totally re-constructing the setup of a drive.

Still Windows Disk Management would have done the job. You would have right clicked on the graphic for the drive and selected to shrink. Your initial post reads as though you did do this but backed off when it said that only 950,813 GB was available. You could have just continued and the next screen would have allowed you to enter the shrink amount which, in your case, to leave a true 200 GB partition would have been a shrink of 204800 MB. This easily fits in with what was shown as available. You would then have a 200 GB chunk on the drive where you could right click and set up as a basic drive.

Like I mentioned above, I was finally able to do what I wanted using Disk Management. What was messing me up was that my 2TB drive was not empty....I did a small backup to it last week and forgot about that. Once I deleted that file, all was well and I got my drive partitioned like I wanted.

That small file I forgot about even messed up EaseUS Partition Manager, as it wouldn't let me create a new volume. But all is well as far as partitioning goes....I got both of my HDD drives set up like I wanted. I don't plan on partitioning my 512GB SSD, because I'm old fashioned and keep my OS, my programs, and my data on it.

Thanks for your response.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?