Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Joan's new laptop
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:17 pm 

I'm having fun with my new toy at present took delivery of a new laptop today and when setting it up
it asked if I wanted to install Windows 11, of course I said yes, during the proceedings it did a BIOS update
and I'm now using the new OS.
I've got more to do tomorrow but want to do a backup before going any further.

<edit by Jay>
Joan, I split your new laptop stuff off of the Apple stuff. I hope that you don't mind. :)

Post subject: Re: Anyone use Apple?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Cool Joan! What laptop did you get?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:26 am 

jaylach wrote:
Cool Joan! What laptop did you get?

It's an HP Laptop 15s-eq2036na AMD Ryzen 7 5700U APU [1]
It has a 512GB SSD with 8GB SODIMM DDR4 SDRAM

That is what it says on the box it came in, not had time yet to turn it on again today but will do it shortly.

Can't give any real impressions about the OS yet as all I've done so far is get it up and working and install a few basic things. When I turn it on today I want to install Macrium and take an image onto a portable hard drive.

One thing I installed was Speccy and I know it showed the RAM being in 1 slot and the machine has 2 slots so I could always add more, but probably won't need to.

At least with this one you can get to the insides as there are a couple of screws on the bottom, whereas the HP Envy I'm using now has no way for an amateur like me to get into, which is why I have to run it on mains power as the internal battery is dead.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 pm 

Sounds decent Joan. :) I would consider upgrading the memory though. Not for the amount but for performance. With just one memory stick the system cannot run in dual channel mode which means that the potential memory speed is cut in half. For your normal usage, probably not any big deal but something to consider.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:16 pm 

I'll give it some thought thanks Jay. I'm using it now, I did the image earlier it didn't take long as I connected the drive to the c slot. I have a couple of adapters the normal USB size fitting one side and the small fitting on the other.

I will now go and play some more and find out a bit more about it.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:06 pm 

Just remember that, if you do the memory upgrade to enable dual channel mode, the added memory needs to be the same size and speed as that currently installed.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:38 pm 

I'll remember that, I did an upgrade with my Asus laptop as that came with a 4GB stick and I added another one. I'll see how things go as I work through using this machine, as I'm keeping the other HP going there will be some things I don't need to do on it for quite a while.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:55 pm 

JoanA wrote:
I'll remember that, I did an upgrade with my Asus laptop as that came with a 4GB stick and I added another one. I'll see how things go as I work through using this machine, as I'm keeping the other HP going there will be some things I don't need to do on it for quite a while.

Just keep in mind that, with your usage, you probably won't see much, if any, difference. The increased memory speed given with dual channel mode is important for things like gaming and video/photo editing but not so important for usage such as browsing the Net, emails or Office stuff which I believe are your normal usage needs. I just wanted to point out that this could be done to increase performance some. I'm not saying that you should do this even though I would. Our needs and usage are different.

I don't really understand why OEM builders do this as to memory. Take your new system; I'd MUCH rather see 2 4GB sticks instead of 1 8GB. Mayhaps it is about money with the possibility of 1 8GB stick being cheaper than 2 4GB sticks. It was the same when I bought my Asus laptop 10 years ago. It came with 6GB of memory, 1 4GB and 1 2GB. Ya, my laptop is 10 years old and still running strong :) Not bad for a system that was bought refurbished for less than half of retail. :mrgreen: Runs Windows 10 just fine.

Post subject: Re: Joan's new laptop
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:26 pm 

You're probably right about me not needing to add the extra, I'm not into gaming, well not the sort that a lot of people seem to play.

I don't have time anyway, and I don't do anything with photos, except saving them. I don't take many and I only use my iPhone, I do have a point and click digital camera but never use it as every time I went to use it it would need charging whereas my phone is always charged.

That is not to say I may do it at a later date, but I know this laptop isn't a high spec machine but it will do me for a while and it was one I could afford.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing