Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Windows Disk Cleanup...
 Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I suggest using Disk cleanup now and then. I just did so and regained ~4GB of drive space on my system drive. The trick is to include system files. Even after Updates are done they leave a fairly large footprint on the system drive.

Open File Explorer and right click on your system drive which normally would be C:. Click on "Disk cleanup" and let it do its thing. Make sure that all options are selected through the check boxes when it is done checking. Now look for and click the option to include system files. When it is done checking make sure that all options are again selected and click OK. This will also remove the "Windows.old" folder that remains after a Windows 10 feature upgrade.
As a note!
The main drive space savings will likely be the Windows Updates files. Restart your system a few times after any major update before doing this!

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:03 pm 

I tend to wait for a while after a major upgrade before including the System Files in the clean up in case anything goes wrong, that way I can go back to the previous version until the fault has been sorted out.

I've been lucky so far and not had any problems getting new upgrades, I wait till my computers offer them rather than go and get them when they are first listed.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing