Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:38 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This was a new one for me that I found today.

I don't know about earlier versions but this works with Windows 10. If your display ever gets weird in any way try the following keyboard combination:
"Win key - CTRL - Shift - B"
This will reset your video card. Don't be afraid to try the key combo. I have done it several times with my Radeon video and the screen blanks and then comes back the same as it was before the key combo. It really does seem to reset the video including HDMI audio. Actually I'm guessing on the HDMI audio just going by the fact that my sound system will beep.

LOL! Now I anxiously await a rare glitch on my main system. Every now and then my screen will just go solid green. This is a common issue with my video card series. The fix is to just force a system restart and all is fine. I'm really curious as to if this video reset may recover from my green screen without a restart.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Interesting. That is a new one for me, too.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:13 pm 

I've never seen anything like it before either, I wonder if it's something that could affect a TV.

I have my TV service via Sky with a dish on the end of the bungalow and most days during the week between about 6 pm and 6.30 pm I have a program on BBC 2 on and it will suddenly freeze, the way I've found to get things going again is that I change the channel to another one then straight back to BBC 2 and everything is working again.

c

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:25 pm 

I don't think it would affect TV system Joan. It resets the video card in the system connected to the keyboard.

Here is a partial list of keyboard shortcuts. Click to enlarge.
Attachment:
Shortcut-Keys-For-Windows-10_2.jpg
Shortcut-Keys-For-Windows-10_2.jpg [ 178.23 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:12 pm 

Here is what is supposed to be a complete list of keyboard shortcuts.
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-10-keyboard-shortcuts

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
I've never seen anything like it before either, I wonder if it's something that could affect a TV.

I have my TV service via Sky with a dish on the end of the bungalow and most days during the week between about 6 pm and 6.30 pm I have a program on BBC 2 on and it will suddenly freeze, the way I've found to get things going again is that I change the channel to another one then straight back to BBC 2 and everything is working again.

That sounds like a problem with the TV Receiver from Sky. Some people have that problem with cable TV boxes, too. The solution is exactly what you describe and if that doesn't work, power the box off and then back on. The problem is likely to be the receive buffer of the box. Changing the channel clears the buffer because it is now getting different data.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:31 am 

Hmmm, now I'm not exactly sure what the "Win key - CTRL - Shift - B" shortcut does. When I first found it it was stated that it reset the video card but the complete list I posted a link for states the purpose as "Wake up the device when black or a blank screen.". Since using it flickers the screen I'm guessing it primarily deals with the video card and the difference in description is just a matter of wordage. Still it would be interesting if it did anything for other types of the system not responding. I went back to Windows 7 on my second desktop due to response issues when running Windows 10 and having to do a restart every few days... Sigh, I know, poor, poor me. ;) :mrgreen: I just may jump back up to Windows 10 on the system just to see if this keyboard sequence will bring things back to normal without a restart. Guess I'd need to do a clean install of Windows 10 but really there is very little software installed so it wouldn't be a big deal. Hmmm, also be interesting to see if I actually would need to do a clean install of 10 as it has been on the system before so may just go through like an upgrade but I have doubts... :dunno: Might be interesting and if things get messed up I just restore an image backup. LOL! Be a few days before I would get to this but could be interesting...

sboots wrote:
That sounds like a problem with the TV Receiver from Sky. Some people have that problem with cable TV boxes, too.

I also have periodic issues with my cable but it doesn't tend to affect what I'm watching. In my case it usually deals with the remote. Press a button and it just doesn't do anything except that the LED on the receiver that indicates a remote signal has been received will stay on for ages. I can wait and it will become active again but it is quicker to just power down and up the receiver. Still probably a buffer issue but just a different result as it is probably a different buffer.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:25 pm 

Thanks for the replies Steve and Jay, I thought it was probably to do with the skybox but it's just annoying when it happens.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing