Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't have a cell phone but do use Smart News on my Android tablet. Sadly it is not available for Windows... well that is how it seems. I actually went far enough to install an Android emulator on my main Windows 10 system then installed Smart News on the emulator. This worked well but I started noticing something.

The notices that I got from Smart News and the Windows 10 news app were exactly the same. I even opened them side by side on my dual monitors and the stories and layout were exactly the same. I strongly suspect that Microsoft News and Smart News are the same thing but cannot prove. I did a few searches to try to see if they were, in fact, the same but got no results that said one way or the other.

Just from observation between the two I have no choice but to believe that they are, in fact, the same. You even have the same setup options as to selecting the types of news that you want. If you like Smart News on your mobile device you would do well to look at Microsoft News which is attached, by default, to your Windows 10 Start Menu.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

I occasionally use Microsoft News on both my phone and PC, but I've never used Smart News, nor had I ever heard of it before. I would imagine that the reason they act the same and provide the same stories is that they draw from the same sources. I believe the Microsoft News app is managed by Bing and the details I could find about Smart News don't suggest any ties to Microsoft.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:04 pm 

sboots wrote:
I believe the Microsoft News app is managed by Bing and the details I could find about Smart News don't suggest any ties to Microsoft.

But did you find anything in your search that indicated that they were not associated? ;) To me they are just too alike to not be associated even down to links offering to open in a browser as not all content can be shown in the app. These browser links happen in the same places in either app.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:37 am 

As an add-on to my last post Smart News and Microsoft News may not actually be related but it seems, by content and appearance, that they are, at least, using the same source network.

I have Smart News on my Android tablet and use Microsoft News on my main Windows 10 system. On my tablet Smart News will display a brief message across the top of the screen if a new news update comes in. Microsoft News puts notices in the notification area.

What I like about both is that you can pick and choose the types of news you want to get whether it be local, national, world, sports, etc. in any combination that you want. To me they both seem to be pretty decent apps. :)

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 am 

I'd not heard of Smart News till you just mentioned it. I don't use any news apps on my Smartphones, I don't have any installed on my iPhone and I've just looked and there is one on my Lumia but that's a Windows 10 phone and I've never even set it up.

I get my news from either the TV or Microsoft News installed on my computers.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing