Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: This looks tempting.
 Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
For $13.99 USD I may just have to get this :mrgreen:
https://www.gog.com/game/pc_building_simulator

Post subject: Re: This looks tempting.
 Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:45 pm 
welcoming committee

It does. I may just have to get one to play with at that price...….thinking.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Well I was tempted enough to try to order it. I do not know if the order went through (I used PayPal) but when it cycled again to the pay page I just closed it. I assume I did not order it but I will check my PayPal tomorrow to be sure. I did not want to order it twice.
And I assume it is supposed to be just a download???

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 pm 

GOG.com uses a system called GOG Galaxy, thing Battle Net or Steam. While you can download the installers I find it easier to just their system to manage the games.

I'm not sure if you can order without creating an account as it is your account credentials that allows GOG Galaxy to know what you have. I just ordered it myself...

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:19 pm 
welcoming committee

It did say it created an account in the beginning. Well I will wait and see.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 pm 

Go back to GOG.com and check your account (your name at the top of the page when logged in) then Games. Any purchased games should show. I really DO recommend installing GOG Galaxy to manage the games.

I installed and completed my first repair, removing viruses. The interface threw me for a bit but is actually quite usable. Just remember that you have to hook up the system before you can do anything. Just click on a cable and drag it to the port. It looks to allow game pad usage but, to start, I just used my mouse and keyboard.

GOG is pretty cool. They even have old DOS games that don't have a chance to run on a current system but they are remastered and do work. Remember Star Trek Academy? They have it and so do I. ;) They also had the original Diablo from Blizzard and the remaster works fine on Windows 10. Since all DRM is removed from the games I doubted their being legit. I researched and they are legit. Not that this has anything to do with being legit it seems that GOG was put together by 'old' game programmers. I have close to 50 of their games.

<edit>
This thing is actually sort of cool. I've gone through a few more days of work and am actually making a profit... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Never played games. My early computers were for work on projects that I worked on.
My early games were when I was working on main frame computers and we loaded pong and a bombing game into the memory of the monitor. Very tame by today's standards.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:59 pm 

This simulator is actually pretty good! LOL! Don't forget to put the side cover back on before sending back to the customer... :mrgreen:

All the job orders come in through email and you have to read carefully or you will miss things like the system is needed back in 2 days. If you order the parts with 3-5 day shipping you just blew the job or wasted money by having to end up doing same day shipping.

It is also pretty good as to detail as you even need to remove the side cover screws to get the cover off. Detail goes as far as having to pay utility bills and rent on the shop. In one way the detail goes too far as I have to connect each cable, power, monitor, mouse and keyboard to be able to test and/or benchmark a system. It would be nice to have an option to connect all cables. Still, while a little tedious, connecting each cable is quick. Overall I really like the detail. Shoot, if installing a hard drive, you have to pull out the mount for the drive before you can install and you, also, have to connect the power and data cables. Bottom line on the detail is that I'd prefer a little tedium as to cable connections over a loss of detail on other aspects.

I guess that I'm doing OK even though I've blown a couple of jobs due to missing a due date (see reading emails carefully above).

The starting scenario is that your uncle ( I think it was uncle) gave you the shop in REALLY bad shape. Client reviews only give around half a star out of 5 and you are broke. I'm up to the early parts of level 4 and am up to a little over 3 stars on reviews. There are little tricks as to getting good reviews such as always bench marking the system and checking for viruses. I'm now getting mostly 5 star new reviews.

Of course it isn't like actually having your hands on a system to fix but it really DOES remind me of a lot of things from when I ran my computer business. As it should be it is about detail. For instance I had to do a free job early on due to my 'uncle' forgetting to use thermal paste when installing a CPU cooler. The detail goes as far as I wasted a lot of money on one job that involved upgrading the system memory. Everything I bought was incompatible until it dawned on me to remove the old memory.
Obviously it would seem that I enjoy this thing. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Sounds like you are having a good time. I did not realize it was a game. I thought it was a a program to tell you what worked with what in building a computer.
Still have not figured out if I own it or not. That for a later day.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 pm 

Sorry that you misunderstood what you thought it was, I guess a utility, but I figured that it being a simulation pretty much said what it was. Also, since https://gog.com is a game site... Still it seems that it could possibly be what you thought to some degree. Remember that, while mayhaps a fine line, there is a bit of difference between a game and a simulation. A game is pure fantasy while a simulation attempts to represent what happens in the real world. LOL! Of course some simulators do better than other in this aspect. ;)

Actually it has a 'Free Build' option where you can test component combination performance. You can also test overclocking settings along with bench-marking. The component list is current enough to include Intel I9 and AMD Ryzen CPU options along with water cooled video cards. Does it include every component out there? Of course not, how could it possibly do so?

How accurate would it be? I have no idea but would think that if a combination bench marks better in the simulation it probably would also in reality. From what I understand if an overclock setting in the simulation crashes it is likely that it would also in the real world.

Is there any kind of assurance that a combination that works better in the simulation will work better in the real world? Of course not but it would probably give a fair example.

This is not a simple game. Shoot, the install directory is 7.04 GB in size. There is a lot to this thing. Heck, the Apache Air Assault helicopter simulator is only 2.18 GB installed and it is considered an excellent simulation.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing