Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm 
welcoming committee

This has happened a few times and seems completely random. Today I was wasting time, playing a game while i chatted, and suddenly the screen darkens, the DVD spins, and my exercise program starts playing. Since I use it about every other day, I often leave it in the drive, but this is just Weird. It has happened before, but I was always in the middle of something and assumed maybe I had bumped something by accident. This time I am sure I didn't. What might cause this?

Running Windows 7 on my Dell laptop

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
That is odd. Of course, depending on how you have auto play setup, it could be normal for an inserted DVD to start up but not one that has been sitting in the drive.

To be honest this is just a guess but if this were happening with my system would be my first couple of steps. My guess on these steps is that the DVD or drive may just be dirty causing the system to, now and then, 'think' that there is no disk inserted. When the disk is seen again the system acts just like a disk has just been inserted.

First, I'd make sure that the DVD is clean. A finger print can cause odd behavior. When cleaning a CD/DVD just use water and a soft cloth unless you happen to have a buffer designed for this. Also always wipe from the center out, never going around the disk in a circular motion. Also look for any scratches on the DVD. If there are scratches they could cause such an issue. A scratched DVD would need to be buffed. Your local library may be able to help with this as they will likely have a buffer if they load DVDs.

Second, computers tend to be dust magnets. If there is dust on the read laser it could cause periodic loss of recognition of the DVD also, possibly, causing such an issue. Electronic stores normally carry drive cleaners. There is actually a soft brucsh mounted on the disk that cleans the read and write lasers.

Of course it is also possible that your optical drive may be failing.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:41 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks! That could definitely be the problem. My computer sits nearly all the time in a room with a wood fireplace, so it is definitely dusty. I feel a little better about it now. :)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 pm 

You are welcome but remember that it is only a guess even though it seems to fit your situation.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Could also be a combination of the keys you hit on the keyboard. If you have a media type keyboard there is probably a play key somewhere on it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 pm 

I never even considered that possibility David. Thanks! :)

I do have a media keyboard but all the media keys are outside of the normal keyboard layout. That does not mean that it is the same on another keyboard. Actually I have several of the 'extra' keys disabled... ESPECIALLY the 'shut down PC' key... That one only got me once. It is a little bit above the '-' key on my numerical pad. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:30 am 
welcoming committee

Hmm. I need to check on this. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure it has ever happened except when I was at the desk and plugged into my 'big' keyboard. Good thought! Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 am 
welcoming committee

Okay, I am feeling like SUCH a total idiot! LOL! Being totally open and honest and vulnerable here... I have honestly never really used any of the media keys! I knew there were volume buttons, but just hadn't bothered to check those other keys out. They are about half an inch above the rest of the keyboard, and pretty small, and... well, like I said, I feel super-dumb! :oops: I would guess that my reach for a number sometime snagged the play button, perhaps. My son gave me this keyboard quite awhile ago because he got a new one, and I plugged it in and used it, never really paying much attention! There is even a calculator button, and I was still grabbing the little handheld one out of the drawer occasionally. :lol: :rofl2: I guess it's good to laugh at myself! But wow...

Funny thing. I am sitting here playing with my new toys :D (still can't believe this happened) and I can't get the DVD to play at one touch of the key. It opens Windows Media Player, but doesn't load. So I'm still not actually sure that's what happened. But in any case, I am truly grateful to David for opening my eyes to the existence of my media keys. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:50 am 
welcoming committee

I just saw this post again, and realized that I had never come back to it. I am pretty sure that this phenomenon has nothing to do with the media keys, because I have had it happen when my hands aren't even on the keyboard. It's really bizarre, but I have sort of gotten used to it and made peace with it. I probably should buy a duster can and clean things out now that winter is FINALLY over and the dust might settle a bit in this house.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing