Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't know what happened but my connection download speed has almost doubled! Upload speed is the same but my download was ~66Mbps. Small town Wyoming must have finally updated some of their equipment. :)

I tried it through a CenturyLink server in Montana and got just about the same results except for a much higher ping. Selecting a server in South Dakota also gives about the same.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect that I'll be jealous of you some October. :-)
Currently, my speed is 425 down, 38 up.
The house we are purchasing in VA is in a rural area. I can get Satellite from 2 different providers, 25 to 50 down, with data caps and horrible ping times. I might be able to get fixed wireless 3-5 down, decent ping times -- I won't know if I can get this until I sign up and they do a site survey. The property has very good 4G coverage via AT&T, but that's got a pretty low data cap, so I can't be counting on that as my primary pipe. I contacted Comcast, which doesn't show our address as being eligible for connection, but checking their site for various addresses, I found that the house directly across the street from the entrance to our street has Comcast today. Customer Service opened a service eligibility ticket for our address. It remains to be seen if they will get back to me, but my gut says there is no wiring from the main road down our street with has 15 lots on it and we're the last house on the street, just under a mile from that address which has Comcast service today. So, yes, I expect to be jealous of you -- assuming I am able to get the fixed wireless service with no data caps...
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 pm 

Steve, I could pay an additional ~$25.00/month and have ~400 Mbps if that is also here at this time, haven't checked but it is advertised. I just don't see the need. Let's see... I have Netflix which is supposed to never need more than 3 Mbps. I DO download actual media for major Windows 10 upgrades but that is background stuff and is pretty quick anyway. I also have PlayonTV as a streaming DVR but it is going to take as long as the video regardless of connection speed as it is a true software DVR; the video has to play to be recorded. ;)

What I am seeing is that the download speeds are getting higher through Spectrum (My ISP) but the upload speeds are staying the same. If I were still doing a lot of websites this would bother me a bit but I am not doing major uploads to my hosting server, just downloads for local backups.

To be totally honest I doubt that I would notice that much difference if my ~115 Mbps download speed dropped to 11.5 Mbps. I sure did not notice the difference when I went from ~66 Mbps to ~115 Mbps; I was just looking at something else and did a http://speedtest.net in association with that something else.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:15 pm 

I'm jealous now Steve living where I do, a rural coastal village, I get about 60Mbps down and 18Mbps up with pings usually in the 30 something range.

Over here you need to live in a quite big area that is able to get true Fibre, Virgin have the highest speeds that I think are in the 300Mbps range down but they'll never get to this neck of the wood.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'll be happy to get 60/18 with a 30 millisecond ping at our new house. :-) If we go with satellite, it would be between 25 and 50 down, 1 up and 700 to 900 ms ping time!
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:39 pm 

Attachment:
Speed test.PNG
Speed test.PNG [ 13.44 KiB | Viewed 7838 times ]

I've just done this via wireless on my laptop.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Not bad at all, Joan.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 pm 

If I were still uploading websites I'd just about kill for Joan's upload speed. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 am 

I have had that upload speed higher at times, sometimes it's been higher than the download one. :lol:

Things are a lot faster now I'm on Infinity 2 with BT, I used to get just over 3Mbps down and the upload was always 0.38Mbps. That was on the original copper wires, we had the line put in when we moved here in 1993.

I don't class us as being truly Fibre as it only comes from the sub-exchange which is about a couple of miles away to the street box, which is on the outskirts of the village the opposite end to me, I'm on the main road. From the street box it continues over the original overhead copper wires.

It's only a small village with a pub, a manor house turned into a restaurant/pub/guest house and a small shop, that had closed down but has now re-opened with new people in charge.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, all of your speeds look great to me, even what Steve may get in his new Virginia home. Here in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas where I subscribe to DSL service from my local Mom & Pop telephone company, my average speeds are as follows: download 4Mbps, upload 0.9Mbps, and Ping = 39.

But slow speeds are a small price to pay for the peace and serenity that surround me. On my little 5 acres I have an abundance of wildlife - deer, fox, squirrels, racoons, opossums, armadillos, and birds. In fact, as I am writing this post I can see a fox walking down our country road and several deer munching on acorns and hickory nuts in my front yard. So I hardly notice slow internet speeds :cboy1:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm 

I hear ya, BB. :) Here in Sheridan I have sort of the best of both worlds. I get decent speeds yet have deer all over the place along with a brood of pheasants next to my apartments. If I wanted a house, which I don't as I abhor yard work, I could be more in the 'boonies' and still get decent speeds. The thing here is that it is cattle and horse ranch country. Due to the money involved with the ranches there is better coverage than many areas with the same sort of population. Not the solitude and peace that you have but not 'city' either. ;) Even the downtown area is almost like being in Mayberry, USA. ;) Would not surprise me to see Andy and Barney walking down the street. LOL! Here is downtown Sheridan. The shot of the J. C. Penney store front alone is worth a peek. :mrgreen:
http://www.photogallery2.jaylach.com/v/ ... nsheridan/

I've never lived in quite such an area before. Shoot, twice a year they shut down the main downtown street to allow ranchers to move herds of horses through town. If you have ever seen any Clint Eastwood 'spaghetti westerns' that is where I live; the High Plains. Shoot, wasn't gonna do this but what the heck. Here is an idea of a horse drive through downtown.
Attachment:
Eatons-Horse-Drive-2016-2.jpg
Eatons-Horse-Drive-2016-2.jpg [ 94.28 KiB | Viewed 7813 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:03 am 

That looks great, it's quiet here being a small coastal village and of course being Wales it's sheep country. Public transport finishes about 6.30pm and none at all on Sundays, just the one main road through and it's not what you'd call a large road. There are fields at the back of our side of the road, which are just mainly bungalows, on the other side there are fields then the coast which is I'd say just over a mile away.

I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere else now, each time I've moved throughout my life it's been to somewhere smaller and I couldn't be happier. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 am 
welcoming committee

Neat photos, Jay. I can remember the old yellow & black JC Penny signs. And I also abhor yard work. I let most of my acreage grow natural, and the yard care itself I outsource to a young man who comes every two weeks with his mower and crew. I also abhor house work, so I outsource that to a young lady who comes weekly and gets it all done in 3 hours (she has been with me for about 12 years, so I just stay out of her way and let her do her thing). I've found that a little outsourcing comes a long way to keeping me rested and happy, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I no longer have to worry about losing my current high speed internet speed.

Unfortunately, or fortunately -- depending on the outcome, we have decided not to proceed with a move from our current home. I say unfortunately, because we are under contract so now we have to negotiate a release -- best case scenario, or we have to proceed with the purchase and then turn around and sell the home. I will be speaking with my lawyer in the morning to discuss the strategy, but this will be costly, no matter how it turns out, unless the seller miraculously releases us from the contract with minimal penalty and the listing agent and our agent agree.

I won't bore you with the details, but the primary reason we were moving was to be closer to my wife's family as we are currently 6 to 7 hours away. We had been looking at homes remotely for months before finding the one we signed the contract for. We've been working on getting ready for the move by purging some things we've accumulated over the past 20 years together and beyond, as well as taking care of some pressing projects in our current house to make it more attractive to potential buyers.

Ultimately, my wife came to the decision that her reasons for moving were overshadowed with reasons for staying put and the negatives about moving continued to build. I was resigned to moving, though my preference was to stay put. So, despite the major hassle ahead and potential cost, I'm going to make every effort to successfully get out of the purchase contract and put this behind me as quickly as possible. Fortunately, this decision came before moving and learning that my wife was miserable in the new home, and then having to move back (if our current house hadn't already sold!).

Keep your fingers crossed that the seller (and the realtors) agrees to contract termination quickly without too much hassle or expense.

-steve

p.s. I made it clear to my wife that this decision is final -- we aren't going to consider moving again at any point. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 pm 

Good luck on everything working out Steve.

A couple of years ago I almost bought a house here in Sheridan but decided against. Actually it was more like a cottage and a bit on the rustic side which would have been fine with me. LOL! The place had A/C but no central heat. The 'furnace' was actually a wood pellet unit. I just decided that I didn't really want the responsibilities involved with owning.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Fingers crossed for you & your wife. I was wondering how you'd deal with leaving all the beautiful perennials behind.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

Hope you manage to sort everything out without too much cost Steve, I would have been loath to leave your current home as it's such a beautiful place.

Jay, I can relate to your thinking, we decided to rent rather than buy when we moved to Wales and we're quite happy, we've been in our current place for over 25 years now and they can't turn us out, well I suppose they could if we stopped paying the rent, but not having the worry of maintenance and improvements on the property is a bonus.

Our previous landlord had double glazing installed along with central heating, even asking us what type we wanted to have. They also gave us a new bathroom and kitchen.

We had a new central heating boiler fitted nearly 2 years ago and that was done under a government grant so we didn't have to pay for that either.

Sadly our landlord died and his wife took over until she reached 90 and handed over the business to her children. Her daughter's husband took over the reigns but they then decided to get rid of it as none of their children wanted to take over and we were the only property they had left the others gradually being sold. We got sent to auction but with us as sitting tenants and we got a new landlord who is great if anything wants doing just give him a ring and it gets sorted and he doesn't bother us.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:58 am 
Site Admin

We're quite happy to be staying put now. Unfortunately, the seller refused our cash offer to release us from the contract, so we are going to own two homes and the new home will be back on the market immediately. We are hopeful that it will not take too long to sell and that we can minimize expenses towards the home.
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:05 am 
welcoming committee

I know that is disappointing, but a contract is a contract. Hopefully the new home will sell right away. Do you have any idea how long it had been on the market when you bought it?

Just curious.....is the seller still in your new home, or had they moved out? I would hope that they are not upset to the point that they would try to inflict any damage before they vacate.

Anyway, good luck on selling the new home. And look at the bright side....you fixed up your current home and purged a lot of junk, lol.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, the seller is getting their money no need for them to be upset.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

The house was on the market for over a year, but there were circumstances that led to that. it was taken off the market during peak selling season in 2017 and not put back on until this past Spring in order for the owner to repair some water damage and replace flooring and carpeting throughout. She also didn't budge on price until we made our offer -- she was finally willing to negotiate. She has effectively not been living in the house much for that year, with minimal personal items at the house. She's been traveling. The basic reason she didn't want to release us from the contract, despite a last ditch offer from me of a pretty large sum of money which would have covered expenses to maintain the home for another year, was that she is ready to move on. She has her stuff in storage already and will continue to travel before settling in a retirement community in the not too distant future. Ah, well.
I've accepted the situation, along with many unknowns and simply hope that the monetary loss is minimal compared to the amount I was willing to give her to get out of the contract. It will, however, continue to be an adventure. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Since this thread started on Internet speed, when I was looking for a different file, I forgot that I had saved this one when I was at the VA house for the Home Inspection. The owner had an active Hughes.net modem, so I hooked up my laptop and checked the speed.
Attachment:
hughes.net.PNG
hughes.net.PNG [ 130.36 KiB | Viewed 7731 times ]

And this is what I have at home here in NJ.
Attachment:
082418.JPG
082418.JPG [ 28.26 KiB | Viewed 7731 times ]

Every time I think of how much trouble the purchase and resale of this house is and how much it may end up costing me, I think about what I have -- not only with the above, but also the house we've had for the past 20 years and all that we've done and still had planned to do before my wife thought that moving closer to family was what she wanted. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:26 am 

I'd definitely stay put with those speeds, I bet Penny is feeling a bit sick now with you having to go through all this trouble. :-(

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
I'd definitely stay put with those speeds, I bet Penny is feeling a bit sick now with you having to go through all this trouble. :-(

She definitely feels guilty, but I share in the guilt as I might have prevented it had I expressed my concerns about the move to her. I chose to support her desire to move and her decision. And, then, after looking at many homes, this one was one that I knew that I could comfortably live in and thought that she could, too. It took her a month after we signed the contract to realize that she would not be happy in that house -- and even more, that she wouldn't be happy leaving our current home. Ah, well.
This evening we briefly spoke about digging up a Rose of Sharon and some Raspberry bushes at the VA house to plant here in NJ. :-D

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 pm 

Ahhh, Raspberries! One of my weaknesses. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing