Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:08 pm 
welcoming committee

With only two days left to go until the GDPR regs come into force i have to admit it's been somewhat of an eye-opener discovering how many companies i apparently "gave" permission to use my email address as a means to contact me...

If I'm honest i have not a clue what GDPR is all about other than it's meant to strengthen the powers i have over the data companies and businesses possess about me... problem with that is i simply don't know who has what other than the obvious... my employer and the government.

Good luck:
Guide to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... tion-gdpr/

That said, the number of emails I've had from businesses in my inbox that I've legitimately given permission to for them to contact me via email over the years is borderline unbelievable... there are probably just as many that i explicitly remember flatly refusing giving permission for them to contact me via email that have done just that in the hope i now authorise them... my understanding is that if i don't explicitly click on their "allow" option they will be breaking the law... time will tell how that works!

If that wasn't bad enough, I'm now getting emails that begged me previously which i ignored in the hope I'd never hear from them again, pleading 'Please don't leave me this way' as if I'd be breaking their heart! :rofl2:

FYI, i thought this an excellent time to ignore the Facebook GDPR request, thereby hopefully delivering a double-whammy when i sent them an account closure notice :mrgreen: (not holding my breath!)

Anyways, a couple of interesting blogs have appeared... most notably i don't recall a GDPR request from Microsoft (no idea if GDPR extends outside of the EU?) but they have a positive stance on GDPR:

Microsoft’s commitment to GDPR, privacy and putting customers in control of their own data:
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issu ... -own-data/

And, oh the irony if true!...

Most GDPR emails unnecessary and some illegal, say experts:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ay-experts

I kind of like the concept but can't help feeling we've been here before... i.e. I.T. (and Government) falling over themselves trying to solve a problem that wouldn't exist if they just did what was expected in the first place.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing