Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: TouchScreen Laptop
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 pm 
welcoming committee

I friend of mine is getting ready to purchase a new laptop, and she is looking at the ones with touchscreen. Specifically, she is looking at the so-called 2-in-1 convertible laptops that can function as either a laptop or a tablet. She has an iPad, so she is familiar with using a touchscreen.

But if she wants to sometimes use it simply as a laptop with the keyboard and a mouse, can the touchscreen be easily disabled? And is the touchscreen really useful on a laptop?

She asked me these questions, and I said I would pass them on to a group that knows. So I would appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks....

Post subject: Re: TouchScreen Laptop
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
No need to disable the touch screen when using a keyboard/mouse. Just don't touch the screen. ;)

Is a touch screen useful? I can't really answer that as it depends on the person using. Personally I don't care for them.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 am 
welcoming committee

I used to have a Lenovo T-60 Think Pad. It had a touch screen and could fold up into a tablet. So two issues.

First was it useful. You could fold it into a tablet and use it that way. Even had a stylus which allowed you to do write stuff freehand and capture it. At the end of the day I'd say it was 5% useful and 95% toy.

Which brings us to the hardware. My Lenovo was from the Thinkpad line. Lenovo even today maintains the original IBM Think pad quality. It is execellent. On that machine the monitor was mounted on a swiveling folding hinge. To convert to a tablet the screen was rotated 180 degree's and then folded flat, and all the monitor wiring went thru that hinge.

The point here being if you want this capability, I wouldn't go with cheap hardware, but with the highest quality you can find and this ties back to the usage. Does the usage justisfy the expense??

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:29 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Pete - Thanks for the good info. I like your usefulness vs toy percentages. My last laptop was a Lenovo, but not a touchscreen. I gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago, and as far as I know it is still going strong on Windows 7.

I just did some internet exploring on various touchscreen laptops. Although most Lenovo's exceed the amount my friend wants to spend, I was about ready to talk her into it based on my good experience and yours. But then I started reading user reviews of the current Lenovo touchscreen models.....most users were not impressed with the computer nor with Lenovo's customer service. Then I checked Consumer Reports....they rated the Lenovo's pretty high, which to me was the kiss of death. I very seldom agree with CR, based on several bad experiences with items they rated very high.

So I think for now I will keep looking and reviewing. If it was for me, I would probably order my laptop from Velocity Micro, but she definitely doesn't want to spend that much. Thanks again......

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 pm 
welcoming committee

On Lenovo's it's simple. If it isn't a Thinkpad, stay away.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:53 pm 
Fearless Leader

Not sure why you exempt Thinkpads, Peter. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 am 
welcoming committee

Oops I replied and it never took.

Patty I exempt Thinkpads, because Lenovo never dropped the quality standard on the Thinkpads. They had a reputation among business users and when Lenovo bought the line from IBM, they maintained the standard. Remember recently when Lenovo got caught putting the adware garbage on their machines. They didn't do it on the Thinkpads. I seen Thinkpads dropped from car roofs to concrete driveways with no damage. I seen one which had a whole bottle of water drain in to the keyboard. It was drained and allowed to dry and it just went back to work. Heck on my T60 tablet it even had a drain hole in the bottom.

They are built to a high standard, but they also are more expensive. you get what you pay for.

Pete

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing