Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Sort of kind of cool
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Since I re-built my main system then rebuilt the left over parts into a networked system in my bedroom to watch my movie library I found something that I think is sort of cool.

Of course I don't have the sound system in my bedroom as I do in my living room. The best I have for the bedroom is an old 2.1 set of Philips speakers; left, right and sub woofer. I finally hooked them up.

I have Realtec 7.1 capable on the system. I found that if I set the audio to 5.1 then go to advanced I can change the sub woofer to act as a front center speaker, it works. :) I just turned off the rear speakers. It actually sounds pretty decent; better audio than I expected to have.

Of course it also brings up a decision. Do I leave it as described above with the HDTV speakers off or do I re-enable the sub woofer to be a sub woofer and use the HDTV speakers as center front? I guess that I'll have to play a bit and see what works best. I just never knew that you could use a sub woofer as a center front speaker.

Post subject: Re: Sort of kind of cool
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 am 

Sounds as if you're having fun Jay. I don't have any extras on my machines, don't even have sound bars on the TV's just use what they came with, although it can get annoying when the sound goes out of synch with the pictures on screen. :-(

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 pm 

Going out of sync.? That should not happen unless there is connection speed issue. Is this stuff viewed through your computer or a cable TV feed? If cable TV I'd contact your supplier. If through your computer it could be an issue with your player. What media player do you use? I like Media Player Classic Home Cinema and VLC.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:51 am 

It's on the TV that is connected to the Sky digibox Jay. We're sure we've seen it happen on both our TV's that are in different rooms connected to their own boxes, they both connect via cable to the Sky Dish on the outside of the bungalow.

It doesn't happen all the time, the one in the living room is a Sky+HD box connected via Wi-Fi to my router which is in another room the other end of the bungalow. When that was connected they couldn't connect it to the phone line as it would knock out the phone so we couldn't receive or make calls so the engineer made it exempt from being connected.

The TV in the bedroom is a Sky+HD box but doesn't have Wi-Fi so isn't connected to the router but it is connected to the phone line.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 pm 

I'd complain to Sky...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:21 pm 

Yes I will, have to wait till I see happen again, that's if it does.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
...We're sure we've seen it happen on both our TV's that are in different rooms connected to their own boxes, they both connect via cable to the Sky Dish on the outside of the bungalow.

It doesn't happen all the time, the one in the living room is a Sky+HD box connected via Wi-Fi to my router which is in another room the other end of the bungalow. When that was connected they couldn't connect it to the phone line as it would knock out the phone so we couldn't receive or make calls so the engineer made it exempt from being connected.

The TV in the bedroom is a Sky+HD box but doesn't have Wi-Fi so isn't connected to the router but it is connected to the phone line.

My first instinct was that you may have a faulty LNB on your satellite dish, or the dish is misaligned, but as I read on there may be other options...

If you're using the "On Demand" function on the Sky boxes when you see the lip sync issues then it most probably has nothing to do with the satellite dish, your prime suspect could be the internet connection to the Sky box, whether wired or Wi-Fi.

Another cause could be the age of your Sky boxes... your Wi-Fi capable box shouldn't have any issues but your older box may have... Sky have been 'upgrading' the codecs they use for transmitting and/or supplying their content to the extent that many their of older their boxes no longer support the latest EPG's... in other words, if you have old recordings and try to play them again they may not work as expected.

i.e. If your bedroom box is a DRX780 or earlier in the following page then this could well explain your issue... but not explain it if you also see it on your Wi-Fi capable box:
https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyPlusHD.php

As an aside, btw I don't think it's relevant but, you probably shouldn't have let the Sky "Installer" get away with disabling your phone connection to the living room box... it was his/her job to install your equipment as you requested not the other way around... even if that meant it became a headache for him/her and BT Openreach had to get involved again ;)

A wee tip:

Unless you're still within your initial contract period with Sky (12 months?...ask them if you are!) then they will charge you for a so called "engineer" to come round and repair whatever the fault is... used to be £70 (I think)... at least that included the cost of everything including getting a refurbished Sky+HD box, satellite dish etc if required.

My point is, if they try to charge you don't immediately accept what they say... if they won't waive all charges tell them you want to cancel your subscription and ask to be put through to "retentions"... play on how long you've been a customer and you can see on their website the great deals new customers can get etc. (Do do your homework!)

You might be surprised what they offer you... especially as the date for your cut-off approaches... hold your nerve and remember that you have to give Sky 30 days notice to cancel and can reverse that decision at any time with a simple phone call.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:12 pm 

I'll have to look into this lot Doddie, don't have time at present. We've had Sky since about about 2008, it might be a bit before that or a few years after but we've had it a good few years. I have a repair plan on it that covers everything, cables, boxes, remote's, dish, everything to do with Sky.

About 2 years ago we had a new TV a new 40" LED one, it replaced an old 28" CRT which was connected to a bog standard Sky+ the white one box no HD. We upgraded our package so got a new Sky+HD box and put the white box into the bedroom connected to a 14" Portable tv as there was just the one cable connection into there from the dish.

We'd had that TV for years usually connected to the old type of Sky box when Sky suddenly realised it should be connected to the phone line so they sent an engineer out to do it. The Sky+ box went on the blink so a repair man came out but didn't have an old box to replace it but did have a couple of Sky+HD boxes on the van, he phoned the office and they allowed him to replace the old box for one of those. We thought he'd sort the old one out then bring it back or a put another one like it in but as he's never been back in well over a year and I don't think you can get them now, we got a local digital installer to come out and put a new cable connection in that had the double wires so we could use the box to it's full capacity, well apart from it not having the ability to connect to the router via Wi-Fi and we couldn't afford or want the trouble of having to have an Ethernet cable run around the place and through walls.
It's OK though as it's only on for a short time each day and we usually watch live TV on it or we can record if we want to watch something on it different to what's on the main TV.

It doesn't happen really that often so we might not even bother and I can't remember now if it was a Sky man or the engineer that came with the delivery of the TV who connected the new Sky box.
It's not happened for a while now so I might wait and see if something else goes wrong then when the Sky repair man comes out see what he says.

Thanks for the ideas to look at Doddie :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing