Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I wasn't sure where to post this as it could be relevant in several threads so if it's in the wrong place please move it, and apologies if its already been posted.

Microsoft have apologised for the frustration and disappointment they caused with their decision to reduce OneDrive storage limits and have clarified the changes, including a "new offer".

Most notable is likely to be the offer for the free 15GB storage customers to keep their 15GB after the changes come into effect, and if applicable to also keep the 15GB camera roll bonus, but you need to sign up (opt in) to keep the existing storage by January 31st 2016.

Quote:
Douglas Pearce (Group Program Manager, Microsoft) responded

In November we made a business decision to reduce storage limits for OneDrive. Since then, we’ve heard clearly from our Windows and OneDrive fans about the frustration and disappointment we have caused. We realize the announcement came across as blaming customers for using our product. For this, we are truly sorry and would like to apologize to the community.

While we are not changing our overall plans, we’d like to clarify what we are doing for customers impacted by the changes and share a new offer which we hope will go a long way in making the situation better for our biggest fans.

Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscriptions will continue to include 1 TB of storage. Any subscriber who received additional storage as part of our unlimited offer will keep it for at least 12 months. For anyone unhappy with the decision to not offer unlimited storage, we will offer a full refund.

For customers of our free service who have over 5 GB of content and who are directly impacted by the storage change, we will offer one free year of Office 365 Personal, which includes 1 TB of storage. These customers will receive an email with redemption information early next year.

In addition, for our biggest fans who have been loyal advocates for OneDrive, we are adding a new offer that lets you keep your existing 15 GB of free storage when the changes happen next year. If you also have the 15 GB camera roll bonus, you’ll be able to keep that as well. From now until the end of January, you can sign up to keep your storage at the link below.

http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage

We are all genuinely sorry for the frustration this decision has caused and for the way it was communicated. Thank you for sticking with us.

Source: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/2 ... us/1760913

FYI, the original November blog about the planned changes can be found here:
https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:54 pm 
Fearless Leader

Damn! I won't have my 10 Terabytes after 2016. I'll only have 1 Terabyte. I can't tell you how "frustrated and disappointed" I am in Microsoft for doing that to me!!! LOL (What are these people smoking?!) What matter that I only use less than 100 GBs - it's the principle of the thing, after all. ;)

As for the refund... I'll take mine - even though it won't even buy me a cup of coffee, since it was free. LOL

You know, I'm glad Microsoft isn't changing their plans. I do want Microsoft to stick around, for their stock to have value, and for them to be able to offer the great products that they do offer. (Windows 10 excepted. LOL)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:07 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
You know, I'm glad Microsoft isn't changing their plans. I do want Microsoft to stick around, for their stock to have value, and for them to be able to offer the great products that they do offer. (Windows 10 excepted. LOL)

I couldn't agree more in that I hope MS stick around, but on the proviso they get rid of the numpties that come up with gimmicks like 'unlimited cloud storage'... I mean, what on earth did they [MS] think was going to happen!! :rofl2:

That said, the 75TB that MS claim some users have 'backed up' is simply mind boggling...
Quote:
Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average...

Kudos to MS though for allowing people, like JoanA, who thought by using an MS product sensibly had something worthy to make the product useful... just hope she reads this and registers to keep her storage "quota" :)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:32 pm 
Fearless Leader

Doddie wrote:
I couldn't agree more in that I hope MS stick around, but on the proviso they get rid of the numpties that come up with gimmicks like 'unlimited cloud storage'... I mean, what on earth did they [MS] think was going to happen!! :rofl2:

Yes indeed. LOL

One added note on that. Microsoft does seem to still retain a certain degree of naiveté. It has been my experience that those who are the most trusting, are usually also the most trustworthy. ... Which tells you exactly how I feel about lawyers. LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
75TB also boggles my mind. Shoot, what can they be putting up there? I have a 4TB drive with 467 DVDs and 26 concerts and still have over a TB free space. I will admit that all of these are DVD, none are Blu-Ray.

As for myself I won't see an impact. I just can't really see myself even using 100GB of the 1+TB that I have. I just looked through File Manager and even if I included my web site backups I would still only hit a bit over 67GB as to stuff I'd be willing to put on the cloud.

OK, I went ahead and opted in to keep the 25GB I would have lost and all seemed to go well. LOL! Not sure why I even bothered but I guess it is a case of ongoing storage greed. ;) I was a little put off by the link being http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage but actually http://aka.ms/onedrivestorage takes you directly to https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/ and MBAM Pro did not throw up any site warnings.

MacDuffie wrote:
... Which tells you exactly how I feel about lawyers. LOL

Hey Patty, do you now what you have if there are 5000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:40 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ha ha... :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am 

I got notice of this the other day and signed in to keep mine, although I think I've only got just over 1TB, which is enough for me.

Photos are stored in Dropbox and on CDs and DVDs. I have external hard drives for images and other things, oh yes nearly forgot have some photo's stored in Jay's Photo Gallery.

Also had to do the update with regards Windows Live Mail 2012, that's the email client I use on all my machines for my emails and RSS Feeds.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing