Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: signing in while offline
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:21 pm 
welcoming committee

This one has me baffled. My laptop was working fine until I rebooted and got a message that updates were being installed. After the installation I tried to boot up and got this error message: "Your device is offline. try a different sign in method."

Every time I attempt to boot up I continually get the same message. I booted into troubleshooting and went into advanced options. I tried start up repair with no luck. I tried to uninstall updates. error message" we were unable to uninstall updates." I tried System restore but had no restore points.

Obviously the latest update screwed me up. If I could only boot into windows I could easily uninstall those damn updates then turn off Windows updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:58 am 
Site Admin

Very odd.... And certainly frustrating, I'm sure.
Try the first two options in this article -- https://www.top-password.com/blog/windows-10-fix-your-device-is-offline-please-sign-in-with-the-last-password/
I can't recommend the 3rd option.
The 4th option isn't going to work as documented if you can't get into Windows.
I assume that you tried booting into Safe Mode, yes?

EDIT -- I'm adding another link which has a more detailed process for the 4th option above using the Advanced Recovery option to launch Regedit from Command Prompt. Hopefully you won't need to go there and the problem is solved with one of the two easy options. https://techcult.com/your-device-is-offline-please-sign-in-with-the-last-password-used-on-this-device/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Boots. I appreciate your response. I had already saw the article you posted and had tried a couple things. Unfortunately it didn't help.

I got so frustrated that I reset the PC using an emergency boot disc. It seemed to work well BUT when I booted into Windows I found that airplane mode was on and so I had no Wi-Fi. I could NOT turn off airplane mode despite trying literally a dozen methods. Talk about frustrating! Anybody want to buy a Dell laptop, cheap!

So for the third time I started over by formatting the drive and re-installing everything. Right now all seems well. Since my problems seem to stem from windows updates would it be advisable to shut off those updates? How would this effect the system? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I never want to advise to disable Windows Updates. Before even considering that option I would advise to check for device driver updates for everything for which an update is available.

Of course it is possible that a specific update is causing your issue. Unfortunately this is hard to track down as Microsoft has made it VERY hard to avoid any specific update.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing