Register    Login    Search    FAQ     Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate

Board index » Technical Forums » Apple stuff

Post subject: Re: Anyone use Apple?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
I'm glad to see that you're having fun. :-)

Actually I AM having a bit of fun. :mrgreen: MacOS Big Sur is interesting but I'll definitely stick with Windows for my main OS. Still it is good to be at least familiar with other operating systems. Granted I have only had the thing for a day and a half but it seems to be a pretty nice little system. Would I spend the retail price of $999.00? No but the $429.00 I paid may have been a steal especially as the price has now jumped to $550.00. Good thing I decided not to wait. ;)

I ordered a $22.00 carry case for the thing. Even if I never take it anywhere I like to have protection when not in use. I got a case a bit larger than needed but like a bit of extra space for things like the charger and mouse. A case also makes it easier to keep everything together so I'm not trying to figure out what mouse was paired and where the charger is. :rofl2:
https://www.newegg.com/gray-brinch-model-bw-127-bw-128-shoulder-carrying-case/p/18W-01KB-000C8

I also ordered a cooling pad but canceled. After I ordered the pad I reached over and felt the bottom of the thing and it wasn't even warm after running ~2.5 hours most of it sitting on a cloth easy chair. The reason it is sitting on a chair running is that I'm doing another battery life test as I quit the original to upgrade the OS version. I have it running a screen saver and the keyboard backlit on so it isn't just sitting totally idle. So far ~2 hours running on battery with 76% of the battery remaining.

<edit>
I guess the next step will be to use Bluetooth to try to pair the thing to one of my TV's and try casting. This is something I've never tried before even with my Surface 3. Since I have my desktops networked with the thing I want to try streaming movies but need a player that will do DVD format. I'll see if VLC has an Apple version but probably not tonight.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:40 pm 

WOW! I don't think that I like this! :twisted:

I went to setup my Canon TS 8220 Printer on the MacBook Air and the Canon site reported that there were no driver or software downloads for MacOS Big Sur and that it was likely that they were not needed. So I open MS Word and type a short and go to print. Sure enough my TS 8220 showed as available and I printed without issue. Even if the printer is turned off a print request from the MacBook Air will turn on the printer. Keep in mind that I did absolutely nothing to setup the printer. Mayhaps I'm being paranoid but I'm going to disable the function that allows for a print request turning on the printer. And, no, the printer is not attached to my router so that it could be that only systems with access to my router could turn it on. I don't blame Apple for this but, rather, the printer as it should not be able to be accessed wireless unless setup on a computer to do so.

Other than that everything is fine and dandy with the MacBook Air. I have Windows 11 running in a VirtualBox virtual machine and a 256 GB SDXC card added to use as a data drive. Just need to install photo editing software, probably GIMP, and setup my data to sync from my main to the Apple data drive. I won't do all data, just my documents, music and pictures.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 pm 

GIMP installed fine and I have VLC as a media player so I can access the media drives on my main system and watch movies on the MacBook Air. That's not something I'm likely to do often but it does give the option when I'm soaking for a couple of hours in my tub. It would seem that the MacBook Air is unable to play DVD formatted videos out of the box hence the install of VLC.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Odd that the printer would turn on for a wireless request. I've got a Canon printer on my network and it won't even turn on for a wired print request. :-)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:11 pm 

sboots wrote:
Odd that the printer would turn on for a wireless request. I've got a Canon printer on my network and it won't even turn on for a wired print request. :-)

If you delve into the printer settings it is likely that you would find an option to allow a print request to turn on the printer. This setting is normally disabled by default.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:09 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
If you delve into the printer settings it is likely that you would find an option to allow a print request to turn on the printer. This setting is normally disabled by default.

Being disabled by default would explain why I wasn't aware of it. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:45 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Being disabled by default would explain why I wasn't aware of it. :-)

If you want to enable and have an LCD screen I believe that you should have a settings option. If no screen you should find it in the computer end software if you have it all installed. Then again I don't believe that all Canon models have this feature. Mine is a TS 8220. I've decided to leave it enabled unless a problem arises as I've yet to have an issue.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

If mine has the feature I'm fine with leaving it disabled as the printer is connected to the network and sleeps rather than being powered off.

Board index » Technical Forums » Apple stuff