Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Weird baseball inning...
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:36 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
My Cleveland baseball team won 8-4 last night but in an odd way. They scored 6 runs in the 8th inning with three outs. How can this be one may ask as there were three outs??? Well, here is how it went. The first two Cleveland batters struck out. The third batter also struck out but the ball got away from the catcher. The rules hold that a third strike MUST be caught by the catcher. If not caught and the ball hits the ground the batter has to be tagged out or thrown out at first base just like a ground ball. In this case the Cleveland batter made it safely to first base extending the inning. Since the pitcher still gets credit for a strikeout there are three outs but the third out is nullified as to game play but there are still three recorded outs. Yes, baseball can be odd. ;) After that Cleveland followed by sending 8 more hitters to the plate resulting in a total of 6 runs. So 'technically' they scored 6 runs when already having 3 outs in the inning. This was against the Detroit Tigers.

Another odd thing with Cleveland and Detroit is that they have played against each other for over 100 years and have exactly the same record against each other as they have both won exactly the same number of games.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion