Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: re-wire a light
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have a light that uses three AAA batteries equating to 4.5 volts. Problem is that the batteries only last about a day and a half. The manual states that the light can be converted to an AC adapter but it would need to be hardwired as there is no plug for an adapter. Of course I could also wire a plug instead.

I really doubt that there would be an issue but would LED lights 'care' if they were getting 4.5 volts or 5 volts? I have probably half a dozen 5 volt AC adapters that are not in use and could easily use one to do this. I assume that the light MIGHT be slightly brighter but probably not enough to really be noticed.

Post subject: Re: re-wire a light
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

I would think that the amperage range that the LED driver is able to accept is more of an issue. It should be able to accept a range. Volts = Amps*Resistance, so an increase in Voltage without an increase in Resistance will increase Amps. .5 volts would be a minimal impact on the Amps, but do check the LED lamps Amp. Since batteries delivery varying voltage, I would think that the LED lamp should be fine with a .5 volt increase.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:34 pm 

Thanks Steve. :)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:58 pm 

Hey Steve, If I do re-wire, another question. If you were going to do this would you totally bypass the battery compartment just going with the AC adapter or would you make so both were viable?

What I'm thinking is to see if I can find a 1/8" plug such as those that automatically cut out the speakers on an audio system when a headset is plugged in... Think old transistor radios. My thinking is that it would leave the light to where it could still work on batteries but, if the AC adapter is plugged in, it would bypass the batteries. Does this sound reasonable? The actual wiring would be easy as long as I can fit in a plug while leaving the battery compartment intact. It is a pretty small unit. Actually it is a light for a 2.5 gallon aquarium that will be going back to the original owner when my tank gets delivered. As it is, just batteries, I have to charge the batteries every day.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:25 am 
Site Admin

I would try to make both power options viable.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:19 pm 

I just took apart the light and I don't think there is enough room to put in the kind of plug I'd want where, when the AC adapter is connected, it would disconnect the batteries.

I can still do this by cutting off the plug of an adapter and hard-wiring the AC adapter directly to the negative and positive ends of the battery pack but the friend that will be getting the small tank back would have to be careful to not have batteries loaded when the AC adapter is connected. I doubt that this would be an issue as I doubt that he would ever have batteries loaded anyway as the three AAA batteries only last a day or two. Too expensive to replace disposable batteries all time and a pain to have to re-charge rechargeable batteries every day or two. Just going to have to see if the apartment maintenance guy has a low wattage soldiering iron as I'm not about to buy one just for this. I could do the connections without soldiering but, especially in a damp environment, I'd rather soldier as I'd worry about the dampness causing corrosion if I just wrapped the wires.

I would also need to check on what the amperage is on a AAA battery and match as well as I can with one of the adapters I have. I would guess that I probably have around 6 of the things that are not being used.

I have plenty of time to figure exactly what I will do as there will be no fish involved with the tank until probably September. In July the friend is going to enter a 9 week PTSD program at the local V.A. I'll have a key to his apartment so I can water his plants so getting the light to work on won't be an issue. I just think that doing this would be a nice welcome home present when he is done with the PTSD program.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion