Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Stockbridge is a suburb of Edinburgh and apparently this is a thing they do for charity, filmed in Princes Street Gardens in the centre of Edinburgh... i'd never heard of it before but it had me in stitches, especially that dancing bear.
Quite why Obe-Wan kanobe is there i have no idea? :rofl2:

Bagpipes help Santas on their way
https://youtu.be/o-dJxCJ_WZw?si=mEYaU289OLoJY6WE

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To be honest I gave up on the link as it just kept showing ad after ad... :dunno:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Oh, i had no idea it was so laden with ads because i bought a lifetime subscription for an adblocker a long time ago so i seldom see ads.
That said, i just disabled the adblocker and apart from ads at the very beginning of the video, which i could skip after 5 seconds, i didn't see any more... maybe YT in the US pushes ads harder and more frequently, the video without ads is only 2m 23s long so if YT are pushing that many ads it's would surely be somewhat self defeating?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:56 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It was also my thought that it could involve a difference in global location. Let's see if Steve or someone else looks and if they see the same as I.

I also run an ad blocker in Firefox but I don't think it works as to embedded video ads such as appear you YouTube.

Hmmm, Just copied the link to Edge and no adds... Odd.

Cool video. :)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Fwiw, i use 'AdGuard for Windows' which i can't praise highly enough but that's a paid for product... i think it has a trial period if you want to try it, but i could be wrong on that.

They also have a standalone browser extension that i believe is free for browsers including Edge, Firefox, Chrome and more.

This is the direct link to the Firefox extension download page if you want to read more about how it works on Firefox, it claims that the browser extension can block YT ads but i can't verify that because i have AdGuard for Windows installed which does the same and much more.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/adguard-adblocker/

Quote:
About this extension

AdGuard ad blocker effectively blocks all types of ads on all web pages, even on Facebook, YouTube, and others!

What AdGuard ad blocker does:

1. Blocks all ads: video ads (including YouTube video ads), rich media advertising, unwanted pop-ups, banners and text ads (including Facebook advertisements);
2. Speeds up page loading and saves bandwidth, thanks to the missing ads and pop up windows;
3. Blocks many spyware, adware, and dialer installers;
4. Protects your privacy by blocking common third-party tracking systems;
5. Protects you from malware and phishing.

One of the things i really love about AdGuard is the speed that they update their filters, it's often within minutes of the likes of YT changing their adblocker detection processes... meaning that while many are seeing the stupidly annoying 'you have an adblocker installed message disable it to continue', i very rarely do.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

I use AdBlocker Ultimate and it blocks YouTube ads. However, YouTube has been aggressively going after ad blocker users here in the US (among other locations) -- blocking playback completely periodically and throwing up messaging that it is doing so because of the ad-blocker. I got tired of that and decided that since I do spend a fair amount of Internet time watching YouTube videos, I sprang for a YouTube Premium subscription which stops all ads from being inserted into the YouTube stream.
So, I didn't see any ads and thoroughly enjoyed the bagpipe Santas! The bear was interesting, as was ObiWan. However, I was more concerned about how tightly packed the Santas were for their walk (run?) as they passed the band and camera location. Despite the density of the participants, it looked like they were having lots of fun and expect that the pack would spread out as they moved on. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:40 am 
welcoming committee

First time I saw a baby Santa! :D Maybe ObiWan was there because Ewan McGregor is Scottish?

Regarding the ads... I use AdGuard AdBlocker as a Chrome extension and I don't see any ads on YT. It's free. However, what sboots said is also happening in Europe. To me it happened twice that the majority of videos where blocked from playing, claiming that adblockers violate some YT terms. But then videos would play normally again after about two days. :dunno:

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion